• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hate loud noises and YET music......

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I find this such a contradiction but there you go! I LOVE music loud, but cringe at loud sounds in general!

When someone says: you cannot speak, when music is so loud. I am thinking: so don't speak, then! Or at least, for me, music over conversation any day and that is, even if I am in a conversation that I am actually enjoying.

Music is life to me ie I feel so REAL

I find this such a contradiction but there you go! I LOVE music loud, but cringe at loud sounds in general!

When someone says: you cannot speak, when music is so loud. I am thinking: so don't speak, then! Or at least, for me, music over conversation any day and that is, even if I am in a conversation that I am actually enjoying.

Music is life to me ie I feel so REAL
I always say if music is too loud,you are too old ;)

Last edited:
Music to me amounts to ambient sounds which are anticipated and expected. That's a good thing.

Sudden, unexpected and uninvited noises either at a low or high hertz range are nearly always unwelcome. The kind where I feel like in some instances I'm startled to the point of having to be peeled off the ceiling!

Yes, I'm very much the same with regards to music

As long as it's not "hearing damage" loud, loud is good, when it comes to music. Yet sounds like the sound of cars passing in the adjacent street bothers me even though those aren't particularly loud sounds.

I was gonna post my explanation as to why I find loud music desirable and general everyday noise undesirable, but Judge summarized it sufficiently :)

I always say if if music is too loud,you are too old ;)

That statement always seemed a bit contradictory to me - I mean, people's hearing usually starts to deteriorate when they reach a certain age, so shouldn't the old people actually be the last to complain about noise?

Music to me amounts to ambient sounds which are anticipated and expected. That's a good thing.

Sudden, unexpected and uninvited noises either at a low or high hertz range are nearly always unwelcome. The kind where I feel like in some instances I'm startled to the point of having to be peeled off the ceiling!

Wow you hit the nail on the head lol! It is the EXPECTATION and DESIRE where as general loud noise makes me feel out of control and I want to hide from it!

Loud music is good but it important to have good speakers. Too many people have loud music but the speakers is distorted at higher volumes. But I know some people don' care about this case if their music is mainly about bass.

Loud music is good but it important to have good speakers. Too many people have loud music but the speakers is distorted at higher volumes. But I know some people don' care about this case if their music is mainly about bass.

Yep so agree! It hurts my ears when the sound is distorted and I have to stop it and then, lol silence is bliss, but whoa when the sound is goooooddddd lol I am away and actually feel high!

Music at a distorted eardrum popping level is very annoying to me...if it is clean sound,by all means turn it up :D

I must have spent thousands of dollars fixing compressed air leaks over the years...hissing sounds no matter how quiet drive me crazy ;)

I am a motorsport enthusiast. Nothing that performs well is ever quiet

The loudest sound I ever experienced was four 10,000 horsepower topfuel dragsters making passes simultaneously...that destroys unprotected ears but still puts a smile on my face. :p

Another important factor for me is the music can't be lossy format such as MP3, WMA , etc. To me, I love to hear all the original sounds the artist put into their music. I know lossy format was invented to keep the audio file size small. However, I find storage space is becoming very cheap, so I wish more people get into lossless music such as FLAC so there is no quality lost for audio. But I don't see this changing for most consumers since most people don't own a good quality speakers or headphones. I glad I grew up with a friend who is an audiophile that taught me how music is suppose to sound like and built great speakers for me.

Another important factor for me is the music can't be lossy format such as MP3, WMA , etc. To me, I love to hear all the original sounds the artist put into their music. I know lossy format was invented to keep the audio file size small. However, I find storage space is becoming very cheap, so I wish more people get into lossless music such as FLAC so there is no quality lost for audio. But I don't see this changing for most consumers since most people don't own a good quality speakers or headphones. I glad I grew up with a friend who is an audiophile that taught me how music is suppose to sound like and built great speakers for me.
I too want to hear music the way it was intended to be heard.
I go to many live shows. I have experienced when artists played live and heard people in the crowd say that they did not play it like on the album...in my opinion,the studio version was made by the accountants instead of the artists ;)

I go to many live shows. I have experienced when artists played live and heard people in the crowd say that they did not play it like on the album...in my opinion,the studio version was made by the accountants instead of the artists ;)
wow some people are idiots but I do agree with what you said. I never got a chance to see any live shows yet of a well know artist.

I got to see the first mach number thru a windshield ;)

Cool, although I can't even begin to relate to what the sensation must have sounded/felt like inside the cockpit. :cool:

But from the ground....it's shattering. Not something I'd want to be on the "receiving end" on!

Yeah... that's kinda what some people fail to understand. Perhaps it's also the notion that you have to be in the mood for music or loudness as well.

I like music and I like to play it loud at home. However, if I hear, for instance, my parents speak, it's a totally different thing. They speak pretty loud (comes with age I guess; I sometimes wonder if they're becoming a bit more deaf every single day) so when I tell them to tone it down they stare at me and tell me "but you listen to loud music as well". Yeah... perhaps you should try to speak in perfect pitch then, lol.

I'm not always in the mood for loud ambiance; well, I rarely I am, and that includes music. But when I listen to music I do like to turn up the volume.

The noise issue is big one for me I suppose. Sometimes I refrain from going for groceries just because I'm in no mood for music alltogether and ambient sounds on the street are way, way too loud. Hooray for sensitive hearing. As someone into music production it's a blessing... as someone who has to leave the house and run errands, it's often a curse.

That made me think of a thing I have a problem with at live shows:

When bands have recorded studio tracks that they can't play live exactly like the studio version, so instead of taking the time to work out a live arrangement, they just use backing tracks to play the bits they can't play live.

I saw a band recently that had a flute solo in a song - but no flautist! And a couple of the most impressive were backing tracks, too. At one point I was questioning why I was even taking the time to watch them, when the majority of what I was hearing was pre-recorded. The four band members were actually playing stuff live, but there was a lot more going on in the mix than what they were actually playing. This sort of thing irritates me - I like to be able to see what I'm hearing in a live band. Obviously, not everyone can afford to hire a load of backup musicians on tour to play the studio arrangements live, but resorting backing tracks is just a lazy way of doing things.

record company accountants have nothing to do with the studio albums though, and if they did I would imagine they'd expect artists to be a bit more economical with the time they spend and the session musicians they hire, etc. in order to cut production costs as much as possible! Bands tend to be more extravagant with their studio arrangements because they have access to the tools necessary to do so. I have no problem with this, you can do some neat stuff in the studio, but the more complex studio arrangements don't necessarily translate to a live environment particularly well. Unfortunately, it seems like lots of bands nowadays don't really consider this, and just use backing tracks which end up muddying the clarity of the performance, instead of working on different arrangements to perform live which actually sound good.

This also forces the drummer to play to a metronome which in my opinion eliminates a great deal of the human element of a live performance - drummers naturally speed up and slow down subtlely and some do it very tastefully and can really bring a lot of dynamics to a live performance by doing so. The same drummer can end up sounding very flat and boring if you make them play to a metronome. Of course, there are also some drummers who actually do play better when they are keeping in time to a metronome, too, but I don't think that should be something that is required of a drummer - I believe that you are supposed to find ways of making the equipment work for you, not making yourself work for the equipment... I'm getting myself a synthesizer soon and I have every intention of using the arpeggiator function, however, I am really going to great lengths to find a way of getting the arpeggiator to be synchronized with a drummer, not the other way around. If it means I have to tap my foot on a "tap tempo" button in time for the entire length of a song, then so be it!

...And that almost turned into a rant, for which I apologise ;)

Cool, although I can't even begin to relate to what the sensation must have sounded/felt like. :cool:

But from the ground....it's shattering. Not something I'd want to be on the receiving end on!
What can I say Judge? Many of my vacations were spent at the EAA flyin at Oshkosh...WWII warbirds are my favorites...so much to do with so little technology and it was needed yesterday ;)
The Falcon ride was an off the hook experience...tons of things to do and lots of numbers to keep track of. We did a climbout from our FBO at 1180 ft to around 20,000 ft were we transitioned from the climb into a dive at full thrust at the pilot's house at the end of a valley...he put us below the sides and aimed at his house,then pulled a vertical climb over it back to about 20,000 where he pulled power from the jets abruptly before bending it over and reapplying full thrust back to home base... G-force heaven ;)
We had a hotshot newbie commercial pilot as our tourguide returning a corporate level joyride as a favor for work performed

Heh, loud noises and loud music are two different worlds! Well, if the music is good, that is.

I'm not really good with loud noises but I really enjoy rock music and it should be played loud! I also like to go to the rock concerts, not big ones (I'm afraid amount of people would be overwhelming, even if there are a few great bands I would like to hear live one day), but of local bands that play in bars and small clubs. And also my husband plays in a band. It's such a pleasure to hear good music with a good volume, feel the bass through your ribcage, so good!
But if music happened to be not really good for my taste, then the loudness becomes a nightmare...

I hate loud noises myself, they always make me jump not because it scares me necessarily but because it was unexpected and loud and...jarring, i guess? I'm sensitive to sound i think. But i can have music up loud (loud to me, anyways) and it doesn't bother me at all. I wonder if its because its music - its known, enjoyed, and expected yet loud noises at random at work aren't. I love listening to music, its practically an obsession at this point. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom