• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hate loud noises and YET music......

I love music and listen to it a lot. The volume very much depends on my mood and my needs at the time. I seem to use it as a stimulation regulator; in the morning when I get up and need to get going, I turn the volume up. If i feel stressed or overloaded, I often find that I can't bear to have it on loud, or at all even, so turn it down or off. I find it hard to concentrate when listening to music so I turn it off when I'm working. I also listen to music when I'm out through my mp3 player - actually this term is not at all acurate because I prefer lossless to mp3, because mp3 is too whiney and even often hurts my ears. I rarely have my music on very loud, and if it's on very loud for any length of time I find it very tiring, even if I do like the music. I like to have a good quality of sound and and a few years ago I invested in some good quality audio equipment, which is now sadly out of date. I don't like loud music in restaurants and bars, as I can't hear what anybody is saying, often the quality is so bad that the sound is distorted and literally painful to my ears, especially near the speakers, which I can't go anywhere near.

I love music and listen to it a lot. The volume very much depends on my mood and my needs at the time. I seem to use it as a stimulation regulator; in the morning when I get up and need to get going, I turn the volume up. If i feel stressed or overloaded, I often find that I can't bear to have it on loud, or at all even, so turn it down or off. I find it hard to concentrate when listening to music so I turn it off when I'm working. I also listen to music when I'm out through my mp3 player - actually this term is not at all acurate because I prefer lossless to mp3, because mp3 is too whiney and even often hurts my ears. I rarely have my music on very loud, and if it's on very loud for any length of time I find it very tiring, even if I do like the music. I like to have a good quality of sound and and a few years ago I invested in some good quality audio equipment, which is now sadly out of date. I don't like loud music in restaurants and bars, as I can't hear what anybody is saying, often the quality is so bad that the sound is distorted and literally painful to my ears, especially near the speakers, which I can't go anywhere near.
I have a very crappy mp3 in my collection on my one phone that was recorded with a bad mic from a worse radio that includes coughing in the background...I copy as much music lossless as I can...I hate compressed junk and only play it for background noise without commercials ;)

To quote Kathy Hoopmann:
"If we say that a sound annoys us, we really mean it.
Even the scratching of pencil on paper or the buzz of a light can drill into our ears until we will do anything to shut the noise out.
But sounds that we control or make ourselves do not bother us at all.
Go figure, huh!"

OK, I'm sorry for this shameless plug, but I've always been curious if other neurodiverse types would appreciate my stuff. I, like many, am really disturbed by intrusive noises and a lot of music that's popular. Sometimes I even want to put on my favorite albums but can't because I can't stand to have anything playing as background noise! But...I make music that is primarily composed of what most people could perceive as intense, undesirable sounds. I even go far out of my way to avoid traditional musical instruments to secure the discomfort factor for those totally unaccustomed to unconventional sounds.

It's definitely at times loud, sometimes abraisive, not at all respectful to or in observance of traditional musical qualities...but it actually keeps me sane!

Please let me know what you think.
Music | Modern/Forward/J. Peterson

I hate loud noises to and have to use white noise fans, soft symphony music to sleep or write. Sometimes tho when feeling frisky I crank it up when driving in the pickup, probably gets a double take from passersby, symphony blaring out the truck window like a rock concert.

To quote Kathy Hoopmann:
"If we say that a sound annoys us, we really mean it.
Even the scratching of pencil on paper or the buzz of a light can drill into our ears until we will do anything to shut the noise out.
But sounds that we control or make ourselves do not bother us at all.
Go figure, huh!"
Yes, for me it's certainly true that not having control over my environment causes a lot of stress. My music may be noise, but it's my noise!

If I'm in control of the loud noise,whatever it is, that's fine with me. But if someone else controls the loud noise I feel almost like my head will start to splinter and if its really not nice I feel like running away, hiding or whatever it takes to get some peace.
Once I was invited to a party. I went but the only place I was happy was standing right in front of the speaker that was about 4foot tall playing very loud music. It wasy choice and it was good . I especially liked how it rattled my ribs and it was a bit like humming to myself, but tuneful. It was relaxing but I got some odd looks and someone asked me if I knew I was standing right in front of the speaker.

Thanks for all your responses which I find so interesting.

I am afraid that if I do not like a singer, I will not like the song, even if I do perceive it to be a good song! I am very, very sensitive to noises and even the sort of grunting noise, one of our dog's makes, as he is scratching himself, just about drives me insane!

I have found that if I am upset, I cannot listen to music at all! And do go there for background music, can't stand it! Either it is loud or not on at all!

Because I do recognise I am unreasonable many times, when it comes to music, I keep my sheer disgust to myself and so, try and blank it out.

I am also really defensive with my music and very reluctant to play it out loud, for others to hear, because I am always waiting for the: yuck, turn that off or something, which I cannot take and so, do not play.

I get extremely high on music and it is a horrible feeling, when people are around me; can't cope!

New Threads

Top Bottom