• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Had an experience with a high functioning autistic woman that has made me feel depressed.

Ghf

This is a long story (excuse the very long post) but over this summer I went on vacation and spent around 10 days in a resort in a different country.

I met this girl (who was from Canada and worked as a psychologist) initially as she had come to me and asked me for directions to the 'beach' I gave her rough directions as I was unsure of where the beach was, she then proceeded to walk towards the direction however then turned around and walked back the other way, possibly back to her room.

In my mind I was thinking ''why is she going to the beach by herself in the middle of the night'' ''Does she prefer to be by herself?''. Also I was thinking ''why didn't she ask one of the resort staff members to drive her to the beach or give her directions instead?''

I noticed something different about her, the way she walked (gaint) was different to everybody else and she stood out in the crowd, she also had quite a youthful appearance about her.

Anyway I saw her walk back the other direction and thought to myself if I should pursue her or not to help her, Instead I hesitated and lost track of where she had gone.

The next day I was at an outside bar with some friends at the resort, we ended up talking to three other girls and they joined us around the table, coincidentally one of the girls happened to be the same girl I met yesterday although I did not recognise her initially due to being somewhat drunk.

She seemed to be somewhat passive and quiet during the group conversations and rarely initiated any conversation.

Fast forward a few hours later during the night I found her hitting on me when I went to get another drink at the bar, I thought she might have been interested as I saw her ask one of the other girls previously about me.

We then spoke for a few minutes more however I was drunk and leaned in for a kiss, she backed away, however asked me ''whats that look in your eye''.

Anyway we sat down and joined the rest of the group, part way during the conversation I spoke with one of my friends about something irrelevant to her however she then turned around and had thought that I was speaking about her in a negative way.

I continued to notice the abnormal behaviour and social difficulties in her as she had thought that I was speaking about her in a negative way. Towards the end of the night she stayed and spoke with me, we walked by ourselves to the lobby and shared a kiss, I continued to notice her difficulties in interpreting body language.

I asked her if she wanted to come back to my room however she replied ''not when your drunk''. I then asked her lets hang out tomorrow and get drinks and she replied '' but i'm going out tomorrow with some people'', I asked her can I get your snap chat or Facebook and she replied '' but I haven't got internet''. She did eventually give me her facebook and I said ''ill see you tomorrow''.

I noticed that she took everything at face value, her thinking was black and white and ''in the moment'' for example a nuerotypical person may have responded to those questions in ways such as ''sober up first'' or ''I'm going out tomorrow with some people but ill be back in the afternoon''.

Her behaviour was at times ''childlike'' and she exhibited lots of social naivety and seemed emotionally unaware of many things. One of my friends who works in mental health and for an autistic society had informed me that she seemed a bit ''different' and might be on the autism spectrum.

The next day I was waiting for her at the bar however she never showed up despite me waiting a few hours for her to make an appearance, I had assumed she had forgotten (she had very poor short term memory).

The day after I waited again to see if I could find her and thankfully I saw her walking towards me outside the bar with a huge smile, she would have walked past me however I stopped her and asked her if I could join her to wherever she was going.

We sat at the bar and spoke for just over an hour, during this time I continued to notice the different behaviour in her as she seemed to at times speak and talk longer about a particular subject then was necessary or she never spoke at all or initiated questions.

Again I noticed her inability to ''read between the lines'' as she asked me ''if I danced''
(she does salsa dancing back in canada) I then responded ''no'' however asked her a rhetorical follow up '' why, do you want to dance?'' as she had suggested it in the first place, she then responded ''not to this song'' again failing to pick up on the rhetorical question.

Eventually she decided to leave as she had to get up early as she was travelling somewhere outside the resort (she had come to this vacation by herself). I asked her if I could kiss her before she left and we shared a long and very passionate deep kiss.

Now for some reason I ended getting a soft spot for this woman as I felt sorry for her, she had come to this vacation by herself and seemed to be lonely/socially inept and have no real friends. She worked as a psychologist and spoke multiple languages and was one of the most beautiful and intelligent women I had ever met.

A relationship wouldn't have been possible as we live in different countries however I was hoping I could at the very least keep in contact or have her social media to see what she is getting up to.

She never ended up accepting my facebook request that I had sent her during the vacation, I sent her another request a week later as I had seen she had been active on social media but she ignored this one as well.

I was surprised as under normal circumstances there was no way a girl who was so into me and someone I had spoken so well with would ignore me for no reason on facebook. She kissed me for a long time the last time I saw her and it was evident that she was very attracted to me.

I remember at the resort she wouldn't tell me her ''age'', to me she looked around her mid 20's however upon further research I had worked out she was in her mid 40's. I had assumed she was insecure about her age and didn't want me to know this
(I am 21) hence she didn't accept as she didn't want me to judge her negatively based on her facebook or find out how old she was.

Fast forward a few weeks later I find myself looking at her social media regurlaly still unsure of why she didn't accept me on Facebook, she seemed to lack empathy or the ability to see things in my perspective during the vacation. As if it did not phase her at all if she never spoke or saw me again despite being very attracted to me at the time.

I know this is a long winded post and might be irrelevant to this forum and pathetic to still be thinking of her a few weeks later but I find it difficult to forget about her and I still replay the time I spent with her at the resort in my head, still pondering why she didn't or wasn't interested in keeping in contact.

I have seen her add random people on facebook and instagram who she does not know on a personal level but she chose to ignore me despite spending a few days together. She seems to be invested with social media and very active on it.

Last edited:
This is why you label the woman HFA (high functioning autistic)>
"One of my friends who works in mental health had informed me that
she seemed a bit ''different' and may be on the autism spectrum
."

No tests, no disclosure by the woman herself?
Basically, hearsay?

You've had a brief encounter with a person and you wonder why
she's not keeping in contact with you.

It seems that you think of this encounter as what is sometimes
called a 'summer romance' although it didn't that long, or progress
that far. A person can find another person attractive without wanting
to pursue a relationship.

She thought you were nice, at the time, but it looks as if that was
the extent of it, for her.

This is why you label the woman HFA (high functioning autistic)>
"One of my friends who works in mental health had informed me that
she seemed a bit ''different' and may be on the autism spectrum
."

No tests, no disclosure by the woman herself?
Basically, hearsay?

You've had a brief encounter with a person and you wonder why
she's not keeping in contact with you.

It seems that you think of this encounter as what is sometimes
called a 'summer romance' although it didn't that long, or progress
that far. A person can find another person attractive without wanting
to pursue a relationship.

She thought you were nice, at the time, but it looks as if that was
the extent of it, for her.

I didn't mean to offend or assume anything however it seemed it could have been possible and I made this post to perhaps get some insight into how she could have been thinking.

This is a long story (excuse the very long post) but over this summer I went on vacation and spent around 10 days in a resort in a different country.

I met this girl (who was from Canada and worked as a psychologist) initially as she had come to me and asked me for directions to the 'beach' I gave her rough directions as I was unsure of where the beach was, she then proceeded to walk towards the direction however then turned around and walked back the other way, possibly back to her room.

In my mind I was thinking ''why is she going to the beach by herself in the middle of the night'' ''Does she prefer to be by herself?''. Also I was thinking ''why didn't she ask one of the resort staff members to drive her to the beach or give her directions instead?''

I noticed something different about her, the way she walked (gaint) was different to everybody else and she stood out in the crowd, she also had quite a youthful appearance about her.

Anyway I saw her walk back the other direction and thought to myself if I should pursue her or not to help her, Instead I hesitated and lost track of where she had gone.

The next day I was at an outside bar with some friends at the resort, we ended up talking to three other girls and they joined us around the table, coincidentally one of the girls happened to be the same girl I met yesterday although I did not recognise her initially due to being somewhat drunk.

She seemed to be somewhat passive and quiet during the group conversations and rarely initiated any conversation.

Fast forward a few hours later during the night I found her hitting on me when I went to get another drink at the bar, I thought she might have been interested as I saw her ask one of the other girls previously about me.

We then spoke for a few minutes more however I was drunk and leaned in for a kiss, she backed away, however asked me ''whats that look in your eye''.

Anyway we sat down and joined the rest of the group, part way during the conversation I spoke with one of my friends about something irrelevant to her however she then turned around and had thought that I was speaking about her in a negative way.

I continued to notice the abnormal behaviour and social difficulties in her as she had thought that I was speaking about her in a negative way. Towards the end of the night she stayed and spoke with me, we walked by ourselves to the lobby and shared a kiss, I continued to notice her difficulties in interpreting body language.

I asked her if she wanted to come back to my room however she replied ''not when your drunk''. I then asked her lets hang out tomorrow and get drinks and she replied '' but i'm going out tomorrow with some people'', I asked her can I get your snap chat or Facebook and she replied '' but I haven't got internet''. She did eventually give me her facebook and I said ''ill see you tomorrow''.

I noticed that she took everything at face value, her thinking was black and white and ''in the moment'' for example a nuerotypical person may have responded to those questions in ways such as ''sober up first'' or ''I'm going out tomorrow with some people but ill be back in the afternoon''.

Her behaviour was at times ''childlike'' and she exhibited lots of social naivety and seemed emotionally unaware of many things. One of my friends who works in mental health and for an autistic society had informed me that she seemed a bit ''different' and might be on the autism spectrum.

The next day I was waiting for her at the bar however she never showed up despite me waiting a few hours for her to make an appearance, I had assumed she had forgotten (she had very poor short term memory).

The day after I waited again to see if I could find her and thankfully I saw her walking towards me outside the bar with a huge smile, she would have walked past me however I stopped her and asked her if I could join her to wherever she was going.

We sat at the bar and spoke for just over an hour, during this time I continued to notice the different behaviour in her as she seemed to at times speak and talk longer about a particular subject then was necessary or she never spoke at all or initiated questions.

Again I noticed her inability to ''read between the lines'' as she asked me ''if I danced''
(she does salsa dancing back in canada) I then responded ''no'' however asked her a rhetorical follow up '' why, do you want to dance?'' as she had suggested it in the first place, she then responded ''not to this song'' again failing to pick up on the rhetorical question.

Eventually she decided to leave as she had to get up early as she was travelling somewhere outside the resort (she had come to this vacation by herself). I asked her if I could kiss her before she left and we shared a long and very passionate deep kiss.

Now for some reason I ended getting a soft spot for this woman as I felt sorry for her, she had come to this vacation by herself and seemed to be lonely/socially inept and have no real friends. She worked as a psychologist and spoke multiple languages and was one of the most beautiful and intelligent women I had ever met.

A relationship wouldn't have been possible as we live in different countries however I was hoping I could at the very least keep in contact or have her social media to see what she is getting up to.

She never ended up accepting my facebook request that I had sent her during the vacation, I sent her another request a week later as I had seen she had been active on social media but she ignored this one as well.

I was surprised as under normal circumstances there was no way a girl who was so into me and someone I had spoken so well with would ignore me for no reason on facebook. She kissed me for a long time the last time I saw her and it was evident that she was very attracted to me.

I remember at the resort she wouldn't tell me her ''age'', to me she looked around her mid 20's however upon further research I had worked out she was in her mid 40's. I had assumed she was insecure about her age and didn't want me to know this
(I am 21) hence she didn't accept as she didn't want me to judge her negatively based on her facebook or find out how old she was.

Fast forward a few weeks later I find myself looking at her social media regurlaly still unsure of why she didn't accept me on Facebook, she seemed to lack empathy or the ability to see things in my perspective during the vacation. As if it did not phase her at all if she never spoke or saw me again despite being very attracted to me at the time.

I know this is a long winded post and might be irrelevant to this forum and pathetic to still be thinking of her a few weeks later but I find it difficult to forget about her and I still replay the time I spent with her at the resort in my head, still pondering why she didn't or wasn't interested in keeping in contact.

I have seen her add random people on facebook and instagram who she does not know on a personal level but she chose to ignore me despite spending a few days together. She seems to be invested with social media and very active on it.
Did she know your age before or after the kissing? It could be an age thing, perhaps she doesn’t want people to find out she kissed someone a lot younger than her.

Did she know your age before or after the kissing? It could be an age thing, perhaps she doesn’t want people to find out she kissed someone a lot younger than her.

She knew my age before the kissing (I am 21) all along however would not disclose her own age (She is around 44 based on her social media information) and she was very defensive about it at the time. This particular interaction had occurred after she had gave me her Facebook two days later as she initially had no issue giving me her social media.

Whether she is truly autistic or no, she clearly doesn't intend to pursue the relationship with you. I would advise just letting it go.

I have just a question, from curiosity. You have written that you waited for her in the bar for a few hours the day after your talk during which she had told you that she'd be going out with some other people. Why did you wait for her? She clearly said she wouldn't see you that day.

@Fortuna7
"I didn't mean to offend or assume anything however it seemed it could have been possible
and I made this post to perhaps get some insight into how she could have been thinking."

I'm not offended. :)
You did assume, on the basis of speculation by your friend, that
this woman you met was HFA.

What is apparent is that she found you pleasant to pass some time with
during her vacation, and that she had no intention of following up on it.

Mild "fling," so to speak.

Whether she is truly autistic or no, she clearly doesn't intend to pursue the relationship with you. I would advise just letting it go.

I have just a question, from curiosity. You have written that you waited for her in the bar for a few hours the day after your talk during which she had told you that she'd be going out with some other people. Why did you wait for her? She clearly said she wouldn't see you that day.

I told her during that first night before we left ''will you be at the bar tomorrow night?'' She then replied ''yes'' and I told her ''Well I'll see you tomorrow night then''

I told her during that first night before we left ''will you be at the bar tomorrow night?'' She then replied ''yes'' and I told her ''Well I'll see you tomorrow night then''

Ah. Alright. Thank you for answering.

Yeah. Basically you were "had" by a much older woman who probably was not on the spectrum.

That's all. I wouldn't give it any further thought.

Yeah. Basically you were "had" by a much older woman who probably was not on the spectrum.

That's all. I wouldn't give it any further thought.

It seems that way as when we were sitting at the bar that last night I remember her referring to me to the bartender, the bartender later on asked me ''how long have you been together?'' he either assumed we were a couple as we were sitting and talking to each other or she must have told him.

We went to the bar to taste some tequila during that night, the bartender went to look for another glass for me but she insisted to the bartender that ''we share the same glass''

The kiss as well which lasted far longer than I expected in the middle of the bar, I remember trying to pull away twice during it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I doubt that someone on the spectrum would just start kissing a stranger. Most of us don't like to be touched! Of course, there are some who might seek a fling on purpose, but that would be very hard for a lot of us who can't stand to be touched.

Consider it a "rite of passage"....of sorts. :eek:

One that really didn't really cost you anything. This is good. ;)

Consider it a "rite of passage"....of sorts. :eek:

One that really didn't really cost you anything. This is good. ;)
DOH!!!

Psychologists are goofy and should be in the DSM as such. But they don’t become pathological until they are psychiatrists.
I’m kidding, mostly, sorry she hurt your feelings though.

You should stop looking at her social media and move on. Whether she’s on the spectrum or not is irrelevant. She’d made out with you once and obviously isn’t interested in anything beyond that. Let it go.

Also worth mentioning that when I did send her the second facebook request, she started editing her facebook privacy setting, making profile picture to friends only for example. It seems strange as she had no problem giving out her social media initially.

Yeah it will be difficult to forget about her but I guess the situation just made me feel pretty miserable.

Also worth mentioning that when I did send her the second facebook request, she started editing her facebook privacy setting, making profile picture to friends only for example. It seems strange as she had no problem giving out her social media initially.

Yeah it will be difficult to forget about her but I guess the situation just made me feel pretty miserable.
Maybe she regretted giving out her social media info afterwards. Either way, it’s probably best to just forget about the whole thing and stop looking for answers or closure.

If she was on the spectrum, my guess would first be the age difference and she thought the relationship
would never go anywhere.
I'm sharing how I would probably feel from the viewpoint of an HFA woman.
When I was in my 20's I had a similar "beach" experience with a famous actor most women
would give their um, uh, blanket? for. Heh.
I was a model then and he was there on vacation watching the shooting of scenes at the beach.
But, looking back, it was my Aspieness that caused it to go no where.
Otherwise just remember: What goes on at the Beach, stays at the Beach. ;)
Hiddenbeach.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom