• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting my face ripped off at work again

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I’ve been getting my face ripped off proverbially at work lately. I’ve had a sordid history with one of the supervisor’s assistants. For a while, she was being calm with me but when regular workers left and new people started joining, she became short tempered and passive aggressive to me all over again. It’s humiliating when this happens because others see it and I don’t know what to say in the situations because she always has a response to me. It makes my anxiety sky rocket and my self-esteem remain low. She probably talks badly about me at her home and with her friends. I’ve talked to HR about her but it does little to help the situation. I wish getting another job was easier; I attempted to go to another library but the HR there never interviewed me. I’ve tried to pursue a college degree but my experiences at college are always disappointing and make me suicidal.

What is your goal vis a vis employment and earning a living? Can you effectively focus on attaining it? You seem intelligent enough to focus and determine how to work towards something.

What is your goal vis a vis employment and earning a living? Can you effectively focus on attaining it? You seem intelligent enough to focus and determine how to work towards something.

I’ve never had a clear vision. Even when I was asked what I wanted to be when I “grew up”, I drew blanks except for one situation. In a kindergarten project, I was given a paper to draw a picture of what I wanted to be and I believe I drew myself as a “space man” or something. There were times I thought I was going to be a little boy forever. When I truly got indoctrinated into religion, I was told the Abrahamic god had a “plan” for me and I hoped a lot of things were a part of that “plan.” I just thought I would have to wait for those things to happen. Others would say “You have plenty of time to figure it out!” and that statement now feels unrealistic, especially my current life situation. There was also a time my father encouraged me to become an animal vet after going through courses at A&M. He wanted all his sons to go but besides a temporary spell from my older brother that ended with him dropping out, that didn’t happen. I am honestly glad I didn’t go because I have no “A&M spirit”, especially after learning the general values of A&M goers.

I don’t have any long term goals in mind because my plans got smashed this year and my mind is telling me suicide is the only solution I have.

You know your mind isn't a separate individual, right?

It's you that is telling you these non-helpful stories,
like *suicide is the only solution I have.*

You know your mind isn't a separate individual, right?

It's you that is telling you these non-helpful stories,
like *suicide is the only solution I have.*

My therapist has often told me my thoughts aren’t who I am.

I get those feelings because of my age and constant dead ends to make inroads in socialization. Even my cousins who I’ve known since they were babies are excelling at life while I am stuck in a rut.

It can be said that your thoughts aren't you.
A thought isn't a solid living being.

It is true, however, that you are the one devising
the stories that you are telling yourself, you are
the one interpreting events.

I get those feelings because of my age and constant dead ends to make inroads in socialization.
I would say you have those feelings because you are telling yourself that at your age
you should have achieved such and such a goal.
It's not just your age.
It's your response to the age.

I’ve never had a clear vision. Even when I was asked what I wanted to be when I “grew up”, I drew blanks except for one situation.
There was also a time my father encouraged me to become an animal vet after going through courses at A&M.
Veterinarian is what I used to say for a career choice as a kid. I suppose I realized that I wasn't a people-person :D.
I have met ASD vets though. Also, had an uncle (by marriage) who was a vet and quite NT. Most of the real NTs in my family were by marriage though :D.
I have heard civil service jobs can be a good choice for us.

@Markness

How did you get the job at the library?

Who, if anyone, at the library is aware of your diagnosis?

I’ve tried to pursue a college degree but my experiences at college are always disappointing...

Some universities/colleges offer distance education courses that you can do at your own pace (well, there's a standard completion time, but you can get extensions if needed) - maybe that might be a better fit than conventional in-person courses, if you're interested in studies but regular classes don't work for you for whatever reason?

@Markness

How did you get the job at the library?

Who, if anyone, at the library is aware of your diagnosis?

My mother forced me to volunteer there back in 2006 while I was still in high school. Someone retired and there was an opening for me.

People are aware but they tend to be indifferent about it.

I get those feelings because of my age and constant dead ends to make inroads in socialization.
I would say you have those feelings because you are telling yourself that at your age
It's not just your age.
I agree, and it's difficult to put that into practice when you've habituated fusion with thoughts. A way I use to to parse things is this:

You have thoughts that have different qualities that inform how you perceive them.

Thoughts you "receive" are ones you "hear" more than "say" in your mind.

Thoughts you "think" when you say "I think x" are more "said" than "heard".

The difference that makes one type seem like it's coming from the "you" that observes both is the "distance" of your identification with the origin of the thought. In other words, in a depressed state, thoughts that seem to explain why you feel depressed are closer and as a result feel like they are coming from "you".

The difficulty comes then when deciding what threads to identify with. As with the knowledge that you tell yourself stories as a primary mode of understanding, you create a loop and as such, an infinite regress as you can always say "well I'm just telling myself that because x" and apply the same logic to the x until you arrive at distrust of thought and self at base.

I think it's sometimes helpful to think of yourself as a spider on a complex web. The clusters where the web strands are dense and catch most flies are ones where you've spent a lot of time and reinforced, so you catch even more flies there. When you are in " spider mode" and life throws a fly into your web, then you feel the vibrations and scurry there, but once you are there, the thought strands are very dense so the "time to travel" per "absolute distance" expands toward the center of the cluster. The key is to get good at shifting between "spider mode" (operating as an observer within thought by identifying with the products of thinking) and viewing the web from above like a map for where the spider is and is going. You need both to have a sense of self and also to not fall victim to mistaking the products of your interaction with reality (as filtered through you) for reality itself.

Try step out of spider mode by not operating "on" the thought strands, but from observing the trends of the thoughts (or strands) themselves. The web is like a map of "stimulus and response over time" so learning to shift a "dimension" up in mental posture means you don't need to traverse through it but across it when the need for distance is recognised.

I am pretty sure @Kalinychta is going to say I deserve being mentally abused by this person at work since she’s made it clear she hates me.

You can't involve someone who isn't part of the conversation. And no, she would never tell you that "you deserve to be abused".
This statement from you is deliberately manipulative. You can not gain sympathy by making false statements about others.

Sometimes it feels to me you have low self-esteem. Sorry that this library person is hazing you. Is she doing this to get you to quit? Is there a lot of turnover at this branch? Passive-aggressive people are also tough for me to deal with. Think you have to work on your triggers. Does she remind you of your mom?

Sometimes it feels to me you have low self-esteem. Sorry that this library person is hazing you. Is she doing this to get you to quit? Is there a lot of turnover at this branch? Passive-aggressive people are also tough for me to deal with. Think you have to work on your triggers. Does she remind you of your mom?

I get the feeling she is since she’s not as bad to others as she is to me. The circulation desk does indeed have a lot of turnover. I don’t think of my mother when it comes to this particular person.

Okay. Now l get the picture. Can you transfer to a different area? No wonder you get stressed out. She abuses her position. Alot of supervisors are like this.

There are some good pieces of advice here. How about starting to learn to like and appreciate yourself. I keep on hearing messages from you, like; "I am damaged and worthless," "Nobody wants a relationship with me" "People are gratuitously cruel towards me." You need to start recognizing that you are a good and valuable person in your own right. That your interests make you an interesting person. I hope you will positively change to be an attractive person.

Your therapist needs to work with you through CBT or CPT to reprogram your thoughts and how you react to triggers. My CPT started with a very negative narrative about myself and I started to dissect all the negative thoughts I was telling myself and started recognize my biased thinking, replacing them with an understanding of all the positive things I have accomplished.

Want to be involved with something that is going to be spectacular? Plan for April 8, 2024. Austin will be in the path of totality and the centerline of maximum totality is close. I think you will experience 4 minutes of totality, and seeing the corona is eerie and breathtaking. Here is a map National Eclipse I used a full aperture solar filter on a 500 mm reflector on an Olympus PEN mirrorless body giving me an effective 1,000 mm. Figure out a good spot with clear skies at this time of year. and I bet you can get others interested. I saw the last eclipse in the Tetons and it was spectacular. On the sagebrush flats right before totality there were bands of shadow moving across the valley.

@Markness

You started working at the library when you were in high school,
in 2006. It's 2022 now, so...you've been working at this same
place for sixteen years.

How long has the assistant supervisor been there?
And how long in her current position?

How would you rate the level of communication you share with
employees there, supervisory and peers? By *share* I mean
the degree of clarity and information offered by everyone,
yourself included. (i.e. What is the work climate?)

It's not just your age.
I think his therapist simply means that his actions define him and not his thoughts, which is a good philosophy imo, but its just that.

I get the feeling she is since she’s not as bad to others as she is to me. The circulation desk does indeed have a lot of turnover. I don’t think of my mother when it comes to this particular person.

I am so proud of you. You didn't internalize this and blame yourself. You actually stepped outside of yourself and logically looked at the turnover. See- it isn't all about how you perceive yourself. This is a really big step for you. Now your next thing is to start speaking out for yourself. Start calling people on how they treat you. You may not be welcomed but you will feel stronger!!

New Threads

Top Bottom