• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gamedevs, post your projects!

I get ArtStation job updates sent to my email. Most recent game jobs - five senior positions and one Art Director. What's up with that? We're really going to the internet to look for an Art Director?

Why aren't there thousands of positions for texture artists? Who's making all these massive games? I don't understand why the game industry isn't sucking up all the artists it can get and begging for more.

We're really going to the internet to look for an Art Director?
Well, where else are they going to go? The days of specifically just using paper resumes and stuff like that are long over at this point... using the internet for these things is drastically more convenient and efficient for everyone involved.

Why aren't there thousands of positions for texture artists? Who's making all these massive games? I don't understand why the game industry isn't sucking up all the artists it can get and begging for more.

Keep in mind the nature of some of these companies. They dont hand out jobs out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it reluctantly, because they'd rather have ALL of that money for themselves. If they could have just ONE guy and somehow overwork him so hard that he puts out the output that would normally be done by 900 people, even if it kills him... they absolutely would do it. If they thought they could get away with it, that is.

Whatever the cheapest solution is, that's what they'll go with. I wouldnt be at all surprised to find out that some have started implementing things like Filter Forge into all of this, rather than hire more people.

Based on my work experience, the people leading the project would be going to their networks for people they already know, and have worked with in the past. And/or promoting from within the company.

Filters are a waste of time as often as not. I've gotten good results with them, but they're something an artist uses, not a replacement for an artist. I can see procedurally generating stuff that the player never gets their nose against, but anything a player could really look at should be made by an artist.

Crossfield_055.jpg

Here's a guy I've been working on, a re-imagining of Star Trek: Discovery's Crossfield class. It became so different that it may not count as a re-imagining anymore. My excuse for the big delta secondary hull is that it is an actual warp delta and the main part of the ship. The saucer is only the spore drive and an engineering section, plus a few other bits so it can operate independently when the delta isn't attached. I see this as a special ship developed for the MACOS after the Romulan War. Of course the MACOS were officially disbanded, and Section 31 doesn't exist either.

View attachment 112736

Here's a guy I've been working on, a re-imagining of Star Trek: Discovery's Crossfield class. It became so different that it may not count as a re-imagining anymore. My excuse for the big delta secondary hull is that it is an actual warp delta and the main part of the ship. The saucer is only the spore drive and an engineering section, plus a few other bits so it can operate independently when the delta isn't attached. I see this as a special ship developed for the MACOS after the Romulan War. Of course the MACOS were officially disbanded, and Section 31 doesn't exist either.

This is actually really good. Is it 3D-modelling? Being way outside of my wheelhouse, I'm pretty amazed by this!

Thanks! Yes, it's 3D, done in the Free Software program Blender.

I've done a few Trek ships. Here's my take on FASA's Romulan Starglider -

Permission-to-Come-Aboard.png

If you look closely, you might spot Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Here's a Cardassian Freighter -

Cardassian-Freight-Train-005.png

Here's the most successful piece of my entire art career, a reimagining of the Constitution class Enterprise -

JR-Prise-01.png

JR-Prise-08.png

Shown to scale with the warp delta portion of the Crossfield class reimagining -

J-Hayes-class-16.jpg

Most of my models don't get textured, because my computer is around 15 years old. No GPU rendering here!

The Akimoto Maru -

Akimoto-Maru-021.png

Akimoto-Maru-020.png

A Romulan Bird of Prey with a complicated wing and landing gear animation sequence -

Blender-File-media-jeremy-manon-Documents-artnu3-misc-star-trek-Romulan-Bird-of-Prey-Bird-of-Prey-01.jpg

I never did get the landing gear right.

I came up with an idea for the NX-01 Enterprise, but haven't developed it very far yet -

NX-01-05.jpg

Thanks! Yes, it's 3D, done in the Free Software program Blender.

I've done a few Trek ships. Here's my take on FASA's Romulan Starglider -

Permission-to-Come-Aboard.png

If you look closely, you might spot Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Here's a Cardassian Freighter -

Cardassian-Freight-Train-005.png

Here's the most successful piece of my entire art career, a reimagining of the Constitution class Enterprise -

JR-Prise-01.png

JR-Prise-08.png

Shown to scale with the warp delta portion of the Crossfield class reimagining -

J-Hayes-class-16.jpg

Most of my models don't get textured, because my computer is around 15 years old. No GPU rendering here!

The Akimoto Maru -

Akimoto-Maru-021.png

Akimoto-Maru-020.png

A Romulan Bird of Prey with a complicated wing and landing gear animation sequence -

Blender-File-media-jeremy-manon-Documents-artnu3-misc-star-trek-Romulan-Bird-of-Prey-Bird-of-Prey-01.jpg

I never did get the landing gear right.

I came up with an idea for the NX-01 Enterprise, but haven't developed it very far yet -

NX-01-05.jpg

The level of detail on these is amazing! I can't even begin to imagine how long it takes to model and texture all of these things. Awesome work!

I do a little every now and then and it takes months. It must have been a month since I last touched the Crossfield reimagining. It's a shame Paramount changed their rules about profitting from fan work.

New Threads

Top Bottom