• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gamedevs, post your projects!

Slime_Punk

 Please erase
V.I.P Member
I feel like this is more artistic than computer-science-y, but if this needs to be moved to the technology subforum then that's perfectly OK!

If anyone's working on a game, prototype or whatever else, we want to see it in action!

This is my current little platformer / shooter, it doesn't do much yet but I learned a lot just by making this over the past few days! Some mechanics are still super janky, but I think I finally got my collisions super airtight so there are no weird glitches!

This one probably doesn't even have proper hit detection on the bombs they drop yet, but I thought the backdrop and tileset was too cute not to make something with!

I dont have a current-in-development project right now, as what I'm working on is a purely solo thing but it's very much in a beginner state as I learn Unreal Engine (so, there's nothing I can actually show yet), but I can show a prior thing, if you might find it interesting.

This was years ago, but it is the big project that I was involved in. Here, have a look:

This game is called Starward Rogue, it is a roguelike that is heavily based on The Binding of Isaac, plus bullet hell elements because that's what I do.

My role in the project was a few things: A: design most of the bosses and some of the enemies, as I was the only one on the team capable of doing the more "heavy" patterns (AKA, I had enough experience and knowledge of the design elements of bullet hell shmups, and enough skill to handle extremely high-level play in games of that type). Second, I handled the balancing of the rooms that made up the levels... much like Isaac, the procedural floors were made of individually hand-crafted rooms that were stitched together. Most of the rooms were not of my design, but I had put a major rule in place for the game, which was that the game must never generate a genuinely undodgeable attack/pattern for any reason. So enemy category placement and selection needed to be such that combinations of enemies that could produce that situation would not happen. I cant describe how bloody irritating this was to do.

And lastly, I was given a lot of control over the project, which was quite the novel experience. Normally, I tend not to think that I can be in any sort of position that would allow me to make decisions about what others could/should do in any situation, but once placed in that position with this project, I became very commanding and tended to just abruptly decide things for/about the game that werent necessarily within my specific design abilities, since I had the most understanding of both genres (shmups and roguelikes). It was very interesting, I never knew I could be like that. And the content I created myself was simply done based on whatever I felt was a good idea at the time, with nobody directing anything I did. I was not however the one truly in charge of the project, I was just allowed a lot of control by him.

It was contracted work, and the third thing I'd helped with for this developer. The previous two things being work on expansions for a totally different game. The funky thing about all this is that prior to that, I'd never done game dev work before, and only had a college degree that was frankly useless for this. The guy in charge of that dev team knew me at that point though as I'd taken part in many beta tests for their previous games, and as I tend to get involved in forums, I'd gotten to know many people there and spoke often of my interests, which included games of the genres involved. The strangest part was what triggered the contract offer.

Usually you'd expect that contract offers would be based on things like prior work experience or college degrees or stuff like that, but no, it was A: my constant ramblings about the genre, and B: this video:

And of course, the fact that everyone there had gotten to know me well enough that they felt I could work well with them.

The best part? The guy in charge was one of the most understanding, caring people I've ever met. When the contract was offered I was hesitant to accept, feeling that my autistic traits would get in the way, but no, that's not how it worked. Instead of being like "hey you gotta do at least 40 hours a week on this" it was more like, "hey, I understand... just do however much you feel you can handle each week. If that's only like 12 hours a week or something? That's fine, I know you'll make good stuff". Seriously, these guys were great. Even just in normal scenarios of talking to them on the forums and such, they were accepting of me, including my gender issues that were slowly starting to show. And the guy in charge never pushed anyone on the project to crunch or anything. Rather, he only pushed himself, to the point where the rest of us often worried about him. But hey, he loves his work, so it all worked out.

Whole thing was a dream project for me, I'd wanted to make a game since I was a kid, and never thought I'd be able to do it. But it happened!

So these days, I've been heavily inspired by that experience to finally dive into full solo development. Not of roguelikes though. What I'm intending on making is horror games. The sort of screwball short ones that are often found over on Itch. The decision to do that was inspired by a weird little game called "Spin To Win". Just like a 20 minute experience, but for some reason it clicked hard with me. And a later game called "At Home Alone Final", the only horror game to TRULY disturb me, sealed the deal for me. So that's what I'm looking to make, is horror games. Once I actually have something to show, I'll be sure to share some of it on the forums here.

There, I'm done rambling.

I dont have a current-in-development project right now, as what I'm working on is a purely solo thing but it's very much in a beginner state as I learn Unreal Engine (so, there's nothing I can actually show yet), but I can show a prior thing, if you might find it interesting.

This was years ago, but it is the big project that I was involved in. Here, have a look:

This game is called Starward Rogue, it is a roguelike that is heavily based on The Binding of Isaac, plus bullet hell elements because that's what I do.

My role in the project was a few things: A: design most of the bosses and some of the enemies, as I was the only one on the team capable of doing the more "heavy" patterns (AKA, I had enough experience and knowledge of the design elements of bullet hell shmups, and enough skill to handle extremely high-level play in games of that type). Second, I handled the balancing of the rooms that made up the levels... much like Isaac, the procedural floors were made of individually hand-crafted rooms that were stitched together. Most of the rooms were not of my design, but I had put a major rule in place for the game, which was that the game must never generate a genuinely undodgeable attack/pattern for any reason. So enemy category placement and selection needed to be such that combinations of enemies that could produce that situation would not happen. I cant describe how bloody irritating this was to do.

And lastly, I was given a lot of control over the project, which was quite the novel experience. Normally, I tend not to think that I can be in any sort of position that would allow me to make decisions about what others could/should do in any situation, but once placed in that position with this project, I became very commanding and tended to just abruptly decide things for/about the game that werent necessarily within my specific design abilities, since I had the most understanding of both genres (shmups and roguelikes). It was very interesting, I never knew I could be like that. And the content I created myself was simply done based on whatever I felt was a good idea at the time, with nobody directing anything I did. I was not however the one truly in charge of the project, I was just allowed a lot of control by him.

It was contracted work, and the third thing I'd helped with for this developer. The previous two things being work on expansions for a totally different game. The funky thing about all this is that prior to that, I'd never done game dev work before, and only had a college degree that was frankly useless for this. The guy in charge of that dev team knew me at that point though as I'd taken part in many beta tests for their previous games, and as I tend to get involved in forums, I'd gotten to know many people there and spoke often of my interests, which included games of the genres involved. The strangest part was what triggered the contract offer.

Usually you'd expect that contract offers would be based on things like prior work experience or college degrees or stuff like that, but no, it was A: my constant ramblings about the genre, and B: this video:

And of course, the fact that everyone there had gotten to know me well enough that they felt I could work well with them.

The best part? The guy in charge was one of the most understanding, caring people I've ever met. When the contract was offered I was hesitant to accept, feeling that my autistic traits would get in the way, but no, that's not how it worked. Instead of being like "hey you gotta do at least 40 hours a week on this" it was more like, "hey, I understand... just do however much you feel you can handle each week. If that's only like 12 hours a week or something? That's fine, I know you'll make good stuff". Seriously, these guys were great. Even just in normal scenarios of talking to them on the forums and such, they were accepting of me, including my gender issues that were slowly starting to show. And the guy in charge never pushed anyone on the project to crunch or anything. Rather, he only pushed himself, to the point where the rest of us often worried about him. But hey, he loves his work, so it all worked out.

Whole thing was a dream project for me, I'd wanted to make a game since I was a kid, and never thought I'd be able to do it. But it happened!

So these days, I've been heavily inspired by that experience to finally dive into full solo development. Not of roguelikes though. What I'm intending on making is horror games. The sort of screwball short ones that are often found over on Itch. The decision to do that was inspired by a weird little game called "Spin To Win". Just like a 20 minute experience, but for some reason it clicked hard with me. And a later game called "At Home Alone Final", the only horror game to TRULY disturb me, sealed the deal for me. So that's what I'm looking to make, is horror games. Once I actually have something to show, I'll be sure to share some of it on the forums here.

These types of rambles are the best kind!

That's actually super cool. All I've ever done is beta tested for professionals or designed artwork for other peoples' projects, and most of those weren't even games at all!

Roguelikes seem like they'd be super hard to make, but I'm with you on creating more oddball types. There was a really strange game on Steam from a few years back, called The Static Speaks My Name or something like that (it probably has a slightly different title) that gave me some of the weirdest vibes imaginable and seemed to blow up forums for a while. I could only imagine just having a brief moment of popularity like that on Itch, that must be kind of cool while it lasts.

What engine are you using, BTW? I settled on Love 2D for now for some potentially gory platformers and this could serve as a fun motivation thread for aspiring devs going forward, too!

These types of rambles are the best kind!

That's actually super cool. All I've ever done is beta tested for professionals or designed artwork for other peoples' projects, and most of those weren't even games at all!

Roguelikes seem like they'd be super hard to make, but I'm with you on creating more oddball types. There was a really strange game on Steam from a few years back, called The Static Speaks My Name or something like that (it probably has a slightly different title) that gave me some of the weirdest vibes imaginable and seemed to blow up forums for a while. I could only imagine just having a brief moment of popularity like that on Itch, that must be kind of cool while it lasts.

What engine are you using, BTW? I settled on Love 2D for now for some potentially gory platformers and this could serve as a fun motivation thread for aspiring devs going forward, too!

Do you mean the engine for the game in the video? It was made from the ground up in C#. I wasnt involved in that part, I was not a programmer. So, their own engine. My work was done in XML, and my code was usually a ridiculous spaghetti mess.

As for engines that I'm working on learning right now, there's Unreal Engine... specifically using its Blueprints system, since C++ is definitely beyond me... and Gamemaker as well.

Though, like with what you said, the majority of what I've done otherwise is testing and such, though all for indie titles, not big AAA games or anything. Particularly for the developer I worked with. A LOT of testing for them over a variety of games, I was always a huge fan. Their stuff is all found on Steam.

And yeah, roguelikes are very hard to make. It's funny, a lot of people accuse devs of laziness if they make that type of game, because "oh it just does everything for you, you dont have to even design any levels or anything" but... yeah, no, that's not how it works. A game using procedural elements means that various aspects, once in action, are out of the developer's control. The best you can do is to try to keep all the algorithms and content from getting tangled on each other. While keeping everything decently balanced. Not easy. I have a ton of respect for any devs that can pull off games in that genre.

And yeah, roguelikes are very hard to make. It's funny, a lot of people accuse devs of laziness if they make that type of game, because "oh it just does everything for you, you dont have to even design any levels or anything" but... yeah, no, that's not how it works. A game using procedural elements means that various aspects, once in action, are out of the developer's control. The best you can do is to try to keep all the algorithms and content from getting tangled on each other. While keeping everything decently balanced. Not easy. I have a ton of respect for any devs that can pull off games in that genre.

I've even had people say to me, "Well, that's not game design!" about them, as if it's just a whole bunch of random code thrown together that somehow works. It's crazy to me that some people see the occasional RNG as some kind of magical black box, when in reality stitching something like that together and having it work in a cohesive environment is probably the hardest way to make games of all! Just imagining the sheer modularity of it all, and how clean the code has to be at all times to avoid mishaps is pretty unfathomable to me right now.

I actually forgot that Unreal has visual scripting, that's awesome! I'll admit that I've become a little phobic of visual languages since learning to code but lately, I really like the idea of rapid prototyping in any form at all. I've also seen people using Blueprints as just a standalone synthesizer, because of how vast it is!

Just imagining the sheer modularity of it all, and how clean the code has to be at all times to avoid mishaps is pretty unfathomable to me right now.
This is something that gets overlooked a lot. Keeping it clean is a lot more difficult than it sounds. This is a common discussion with the big commercial developers as well as with us hobbiests.

The modular concept is great, but then people write mods with dependencies on other mods and the modularity is gone. Yet to give mods all the code they need to stand alone means a lot of doubling up on code and that can create compatibility issues.

The modular concept is great, but then people write mods with dependencies on other mods and the modularity is gone. Yet to give mods all the code they need to stand alone means a lot of doubling up on code and that can create compatibility issues.

Yeah, that sounds like a legit nightmare. I do enough refactoring on my own stuff just so I don't get confused or lose dependencies and libraries, so I really feel for those who have to work with others on large projects!

The version of the game that comes with the current minetest download on minetest.io is a collection of over 500 different modules. When you put something like that together there's always going to be issues.

We managed to keep it very modular though, only a few dependencies in there. So for the most part if there's a feature of the game you don't like you can just delete it's mod. Or edit it to better suit yourself.

Touhou Project: Another one.

Touhou Project: Another one.

Yeah I got pretty much a thousand variations of that as feedback after the game came out.

Funny thing is, even though I'm a fan of bullet hell games, I actually dont play Touhou. Never clicked with me, that series.

All of my design work is rooted in the style used by Cave. They made games like Mushihime-sama and Dodonpachi and all that.

Still though, the Touhou comparison from so many people.

Yeah I got pretty much a thousand variations of that as feedback after the game came out.

Funny thing is, even though I'm a fan of bullet hell games, I actually dont play Touhou. Never clicked with me, that series.

All of my design work is rooted in the style used by Cave. They made games like Mushihime-sama and Dodonpachi and all that.

Still though, the Touhou comparison from so many people.
it's a very um, infamous series, and quite frankly, i dunno why.
The games unfortunately aren't that good.
I believe its because ZUN is so lighthearted with copyright and the series (story wise) is so different from other things.

Also the music is a big factor (Bad apple and other songs are most likely the ONLY reason why it's relevant.)

(Please understand i do like the touhou characters) But i would never play them (The Glimpses of the story from what i can gather, is dumb)

Last edited:
Well that's kinda wonderful :)

it's a very um, infamous series, and quite frankly, i dunno why.
The games unfortunately aren't that good.
I believe its because ZUN is so lighthearted with copyright and the series (story wise) is so different from other things.

Also the music is a big factor (Bad apple and other songs are most likely the ONLY reason why it's relevant.)

(Please understand i do like the touhou characters) But i would never play them (The Glimpses of the story from what i can gather, is dumb)

Well, the good games as far as I know are the ones purely designed by Zun alone, but that was like a long while ago and the series has diluted at this point since now there are developers off all sorts just adding games to it that often arent even in the same bloody genre. I have no idea what most of the recent games are like. I see them on Steam, who knows what each is gonna be...

As for story, well... the original series are all shmups. As a rule most shmups out there dont even HAVE stories. I mean, look at R-Type: "Blast off and strike the evil Bydo Empire!" That's the entire story. Just... just that. There's nothing else. That's how the genre usually is. So usually fans of the genre dont exactly expect much there.

With Touhou specifically I always got the impression that the "story" scenes were mostly just excuses to put the characters on screen in close-up so the player could actually see the full character designs. Which in a lot of cases is what ACTUALLY pulled players in. Heck there are Touhou fans out there who dont actually even know what the games are like. They just know the characters.

I think the franchise has gotten a lot more fleshed out over the years story-wise, but my theory is that a lot of that is due to the fans, not Zun.

Well, the good games as far as I know are the ones purely designed by Zun alone, but that was like a long while ago and the series has diluted at this point since now there are developers off all sorts just adding games to it that often arent even in the same bloody genre. I have no idea what most of the recent games are like. I see them on Steam, who knows what each is gonna be...

As for story, well... the original series are all shmups. As a rule most shmups out there dont even HAVE stories. I mean, look at R-Type: "Blast off and strike the evil Bydo Empire!" That's the entire story. Just... just that. There's nothing else. That's how the genre usually is. So usually fans of the genre dont exactly expect much there.

With Touhou specifically I always got the impression that the "story" scenes were mostly just excuses to put the characters on screen in close-up so the player could actually see the full character designs. Which in a lot of cases is what ACTUALLY pulled players in. Heck there are Touhou fans out there who dont actually even know what the games are like. They just know the characters.

I think the franchise has gotten a lot more fleshed out over the years story-wise, but my theory is that a lot of that is due to the fans, not Zun.
This is the only series that would poof if the fans disappeared.
And in a way Zun knows that,and lets them have fun with it, which is perfect, it can be whatever you want it to be.

Anyways, lets just Leave touhou alone, the series gives me a head ache from time to time, and the fans are one of the most Disgusting things i've seen.

I think this thing is finally up and running! It's got some quirks, but it works!

(This took me like an entire week, but it was my first big project with pseudo-OOP in Lua)

Last edited by a moderator:

So I calculated royalty wrong (king is 13, queen is 12, and jack is 11 because I'm a doofus), but at least everything displays and totals! lol

Edit: nope, something else janky happened. Back to the code cave

I also had to modify my code to make it forum-safe, because the original version swears at you randomly when you lose

Last edited by a moderator:

Apparently I made this one last year... I have no idea why I went with those little squares but they didn't show up so well!

I've done some design and 3D modelling for games. I wish I was still doing it but it seems the only jobs I see posted these days are senior technical positions.

New Threads

Top Bottom