• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food fun

Momo

Well-Known Larrikin
I don't know about you, but I have certain sometimes strange foods I obsess over. Generally with me it's all carbs, like chips and noodles and so on (though don't get me wrong, I do have my greens and what ever else). Any food with too many flavours at once, anything too complex, and I just can't seem to handle it, there's just too much going on. Even textures put me off, like jelly, or jello for you yankies :p, the texture just always makes me think of snot.

Anybody else obsess over foods (and don't you dare say chocolate, because who doesn't)? Or have certain things you can't eat?

For me lately it's been spicy foods. Spicy ramen, spicy tacos, Cajun trail mix, pepper jack cheese, anything with jalapeno or hot sauce, etc.
Also wine. :p
There are some foods I cannot eat because I have an aversion to the texture (swordfish) and there are others I cannot eat because I'm allergic to them (bleu cheese).

I try to avoid carbs, yet when I am overwhelmed and my "brain is crying" that is what I crave.

It's about the dopamine... if I do succumb to carbage :) I try to eat it as part of a meal with fat and protein, to moderate its impact on my blood sugar. Or I have anxiety problems :(

For me lately it's been spicy foods. Spicy ramen, spicy tacos, Cajun trail mix, pepper jack cheese, anything with jalapeno or hot sauce, etc.
Also wine. :p
There are some foods I cannot eat because I have an aversion to the texture (swordfish) and there are others I cannot eat because I'm allergic to them (bleu cheese).
Hot food never goes down well with me, see I need all my food to be a un-spicey as possible, just like I am, plain, vanilla and boring!

tripe cow's stomach!!!!!

strawberry trifle, lemon tart, old Jamaica[ fruit punch, pineapple, cream]soda ,walnut cake, cheese puffs, ready salted potato squares, Fanta Orange, vanilla Coca-Cola, sparkling Vimto, potato with cheese and Onion, sweet potato with tuna and mayonnaise ,baked potato with corned beef and onion, chicken supreme, panack( baked :corned beef ,sliced potato and sliced onions in gravy, stottie cake( large circular panini roll) a theme is starting to become obvious real deli cheese coleslaw, want to try a real Cornish pasty with meat at one end and jam at the other
I don't know about you, but I have certain sometimes strange foods I obsess over. Generally with me it's all carbs, like chips and noodles and so on (though don't get me wrong, I do have my greens and what ever else). Any food with too many flavours at once, anything too complex, and I just can't seem to handle it, there's just too much going on. Even textures put me off, like jelly, or jello for you yankies :p, the texture just always makes me think of snot.

Anybody else obsess over foods (and don't you dare say chocolate, because who doesn't)? Or have certain things you can't eat?

to clarify I can't even bare to think about Christ

stupid phone I didn't say Christ I said tripe
to clarify I can't even bare to think about Christ

Craving, versus eating are two separate things for me. I crave pizza, tacos, hamburgers, cookies, cheese, pie, cake and pasta .

As I am healthy I eat though only shredded wheat and cheerios cereal, almond milk, water, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, nuts, fat free cheese, and healthy oils, like olive, macadamia, avocado.

I guess the food emoji's do not show up. They did when I put them in, but not when send the reply.

Last edited:
I eat really healthy, much like Dadwith2Autisticsons. Nuts, seeds, whole wheat everything, olive oil, avocado's. Feel quite good when I eat lots of fresh veg and fruit and very limited amounts of meat and poultry and fish. Eat a lot of vegetarian meals, which seem to agree with me much more than the food listed below.

But the foods that I really, really, like, are soft, fresh white bread, butter, jam, macaroni and cheese, biscuits, cupcakes, chips, mashed potatoes, ice cream, cream doughnuts, chocolate bars. Which I eat rarely, but think about far too often.

Trigger warning! Healthy food photo ahead! :tonguewink:

There's seafood involved! :fearscream:

Turn back now!

You've been warned! :smile:

IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG
Strong sensory sensitivities here, combined with fragile, reactive neurology means I would tend be one of those Autistics with a very limited, high carb diet,( lots of fight or flight means craving the soothing dopamine rush) but I must support my frequently challenged brain.

To support my brain, I eat mainly fresh greens, nuts, seeds, lots of fish, some red meat, fruit, eggs from pastured hens.

Through tremendous work, and over a long period of time, I have managed to train myself to eat sardines. (They are starring in my lunch today, atop gluten-free crackers, with coarse-ground, Armageddon-like fiery mustard, and fresh chopped onions playing in the supporting role.) I reward myself with wild blueberries. (frozen, they're thawing in this photo.)

Hold on, there's a link between the carb cravings and anxiety? Because the dopamine rush soothes the anxiety? Did I understand this right?
That would explain so much... the only things I love more than greens is carbs (pasta, pizza and potatoes, mainly)

yep also trytophan the happy amino acid people on the autism spectrum according to biomedical researchers don't metabolise tryptophan as well as NTS
that's why you crave beer, lager ,plain or milk chocolate, also dates have the most tryptophan of any foods
Hold on, there's a link between the carb cravings and anxiety? Because the dopamine rush soothes the anxiety? Did I understand this right?
That would explain so much... the only things I love more than greens is carbs (pasta, pizza and potatoes, mainly)

I love cooking and eating healthy food, but I usually just crave carbs and salt. I could eat nachos and fried chicken every day. Sigh. I really love salads, soups and veggie stews, but groceries are expensive and I don't always have time to cook. I have a love affair with eggplant and chick peas at the moment.

yep also trytophan the happy amino acid people on the autism spectrum according to biomedical researchers don't metabolise tryptophan as well as NTS
that's why you crave beer, lager ,plain or milk chocolate, also dates have the most tryptophan of any foods
Well I never knew that, thanks, Streetwise. I can't stand most of the liquids you just mentioned, but I recently went through a 2 months-long phase of craving dates like crazy. Still not quite over, actually, but the store near me that had the super nice ones is all out now, probably because of me.

Last edited:
I have experienced cravings that have included dates, but carbs are my most frequent and worst one. It is helpful to know the likely source of the cravings.

Chocolate cravings happen fairly often. No-bake cookies are a good quick solution to the chocolate craving, although they are a bit too sugary. I guess I need to provide a recipe in my blog now.

I have experienced cravings that have included dates, but carbs are my most frequent and worst one. It is helpful to know the likely source of the cravings.

Chocolate cravings happen fairly often. No-bake cookies are a good quick solution to the chocolate craving, although they are a bit too sugary. I guess I need to provide a recipe in my blog now.[/QUOTEl try to stay off chocolate it has got a lot of caffeine

Chocolate cravings happen fairly often. No-bake cookies are a good quick solution to the chocolate craving, although they are a bit too sugary. I guess I need to provide a recipe in my blog now.
I'll try again
try to stay off chocolate it has got a lot of caffeine

I am obsessed with Sriracha right now, I can drown some stuff in Sriracha, I'm going through so much of it.

Anything Habanero or Jalapeño. :3

New Threads

Top Bottom