• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fitness thread--what was your workout today?

justin_havu

Thought this would be a good thread for those that exercise regularly to post anytime we work out, what we did, and maybe motivate each other.

Today, and for the past week and a half: Two 20-minute cardio sessions on my stationary bike--one in the morning after waking up, and one in the evening. This is done daily. As far as strength training goes, that will happen probably in a couple of weeks, and it'll be more reps with lighter weights

I've been on a bunch of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds for the past four years and gained about 80 pounds because of it. I know for a fact that the weight gain was from the meds, because I'm usually very active, and I can normally eat what I want and not gain any weight. I stopped the meds back in August of 2021, and thus begins the weight-loss process.

I’ll be doing 25 min. on my bike, (indoors on a bike on a training stand)
then a little bit of core work & dumbbell workout for back & chest.
For me it’s the opposite, working out keeps my weight up to the level I like. Makes me a less depressed person, too.

I have my recumbent trike on a trainer. I am going for endurance and while not similar to my rides I will do one to two hours at maximum resistance at about 80 rpm, though sometimes on a longer workout will need to cool down in a lower gear.

Just got done with the second of two 20-minute sessions on my stationary bike. Felt good after 20 minutes, so I went for 25. I'll probably be increasing the time to two 25-minute sessions starting tomorrow; one in the morning after waking up, then one in the evening.

I'm pedalling at around 70-75RPM, increasing resistance every 5 minutes, up until about 15 minutes in. The levels go from 1-25 on my bike, so I start at level 5 for five minutes, then level 6 for five minutes, then level 7 for the rest of the workout. I'm trying to keep my heart rate between 150 and 160BPM, and I find that the above is definitely doing the trick.

My daily 30-60 minute walk today was to the local Walmart to pick up my medication at the pharmacy. When I got home I did 1 minute of planking. I try to walk daily and do a 15-20 minute weights routine 2-3x a week. Dealing with LOTS of physical issues so this is much less than I'm used to, but its SO MUCH BETTER than nothing! This week I'm also starting back in Aikdio 2x a week in addition to the daily walks.

I've been on a bunch of antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds for the past four years and gained about 80 pounds because of it. I know for a fact that the weight gain was from the meds, because I'm usually very active, and I can normally eat what I want and not gain any weight. I stopped the meds back in August of 2021, and thus begins the weight-loss process.
I feel your pain, I gained 70 pounds on antipsychotics and am still in the process of losing the weight. It's a difficult road, I'm dealing with chronic pain that makes working out very challenging some days.
I try to be active for at least 45 minutes a day, when my pain allows it. It's usually exercise at home, with the remaining minutes filled out by walking or cycling outside.
I try to stick to the following exercise sequence: 1 day of strength training, 1 day of core/pilates, 1 day of cardio and/or yoga. I deviate from the schedule because of work and/or pain issues.
I've been off my schedule for a few days due to pain, getting back into things with 30 minutes of core exercises and a walk outside :)

Increased my two stationary bike sessions to 25 minutes starting today. Got up at 6 AM and did the first session at around 6:15. Felt a bit fatigued after working out last night, but after the morning workout, that all went away. One more session to go tonight.

Just did three sets of dumbbell exercises for shoulder muscles, all supersets. Shoulder presses with 20 lbs per side, lateral raises and front raises, both with 5 lbs per side, 10 reps for each exercise. Right now, I don't need a whole lot of weight to get a good burn in the shoulders. I'll be increasing reps before increasing any weight.

I just started incorporating some light strength training with dumbbells into my daily routine. I have a workout bench, but I'd like to get one with a weight rack. Won't be getting an olympic sized one--too big for my apartment, also I don't plan on doing any really heavy lifting. It'll be more reps with lighter weights.

Two 25-minute workouts on the bike, plus some upper-body dumbbell work done for the day. I might tweak the bike workouts to get a little more intensity out of them. Heart rate was probably around 140-150 BPM which works for me, but I might increase the time to 30 minutes there, or if I want to get closer to 160, I'll increase my pedal cadence a little and stick with the resistance levels I've picked out that work for me. My bike's resistance goes from 1-25. What I do with it, is start at level 5 for the first five minutes of my workout. For the next five minutes, I'll go up to level 6. Then, I'll go to level 7 for the rest of my workout.

Workout for today complete. 25 minutes on the bike in the morning, upper-body dumbbell work in the afternoon, then another 25 minutes on the bike in the evening. I feel like I have more energy now that I've been off my anti-anxiety meds for a while.

I dug up a few hundred feet of sidewalk by hand. (Living in Connecticut--Apparently late last night it decided to lay down a ton of snow--six to fourteen inches dependent on where the wind had pushed it.) Shoveled three walks and a large sidewalk. I love shoveling snow; when it snows I like to get up before the plows come and start digging out sidewalks. You meet dogs and people, and then you also meet people who enjoy shoveling their own walks too. For a lot of people it's kind of meditative. Very relaxing.

(I don't live here and this is not my house. It's just a cool old house that was there and since it has cobblestones out front, a mounting block, and two hitching-posts, you might not want to run a gas-mechanical snowblower through there.)

DSC01936.JPG

Morning 25-minute bike workout completed at around 6:30 AM. Had to move my strength training to 9:30 as I have to go to a church and set up a mixing console for them and get that dialed in. Another 25-minute bike workout will happen tonight. Feeling great.

I went for two small hikes (with occasional jogging/playing) in deep snow yesterday. I was happy that it was so low impact (didn't hurt as much), but I wore myself out quickly as usual. Unfortunately, I don't think it was a smart move as I ended up having an adrenaline surge/cardiac event last night that was really scary. :'( If it wasn't apparent, exercise (particularly cardio) is not easy for me. I'm back to slow yoga and physical therapy exercises I guess!

Edit: Before anyone is quick to judge, I do not need to lose weight. Being active makes me very happy (and fends off depression/anxiety). I have multiple health issues that get in the way of that lifestyle though.

I dug up a few hundred feet of sidewalk by hand. (Living in Connecticut--Apparently late last night it decided to lay down a ton of snow--six to fourteen inches dependent on where the wind had pushed it.) Shoveled three walks and a large sidewalk. I love shoveling snow; when it snows I like to get up before the plows come and start digging out sidewalks. You meet dogs and people, and then you also meet people who enjoy shoveling their own walks too. For a lot of people it's kind of meditative. Very relaxing.

(I don't live here and this is not my house. It's just a cool old house that was there and since it has cobblestones out front, a mounting block, and two hitching-posts, you might not want to run a gas-mechanical snowblower through there.)

View attachment 73520
:O I'm currently in CT. We got about 13 inches of snow here.

I did some yoga this morning, because I woke up with a neck- and headache. Tonight I did some upper body strength training.

New Threads

Top Bottom