• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fireworks

Do you like fireworks

• I like the "BANG's" the louder the better

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I like seeing all the lights in the sky

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • I like looking at it through a window

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I like being the one lighting the fuse on it

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, I'm hiding, with my pet, under a blanket when it's firework season

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Meh...

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

kriss72

they/them/their
V.I.P Member
I just heard fireworks being set off in the neighborhood - this is a time of year I really don't like, the time around new year, where you never know if there suddenly will be fireworks - I never understood why some people find it is fun to make a "bang" sound (I respect that some people do, but I don't understand it).

I feel unsafe when there are fireworks, even I know I'm safe inside my home. I can kind of see the pretty in the rockets, the type that goes up to the sky and makes it full of little sparkling stars, if it wasn't for the noise.

How do you feel about fireworks?

I live in the desert. They execute people here for fireworks.

Just kidding, but of course the local authorities will fine anyone caught using them. Ironically people can go north to the Paiute Reservation and legally buy all the fireworks they want. (Perfectly legal under federal law.)

It doesn't take much to cause a major fire all over town with all the cheatgrass and sagebrush. But the city does allow for usually two major and professionally staged fireworks displays.

Last edited:
Fireworks were banned in most of Australia in the 70s. There is one exception - the Northern Territory. They only got self governing status in 1976, and at a time when the rest of the country was banning fireworks they passed legislation to allow fireworks on one night of the year to celebrate Self Government Day. The 1st of July.

I live in the desert. They execute people here for fireworks.
Try starting a fire in any of our forested regions and see how well you fare. :)

Much of Australia has a total fire ban all year round.

Fireworks were banned in most of Australia in the 70s. There is one exception - the Northern Territory. They only got self governing status in 1976, and at a time when the rest of the country was banning fireworks they passed legislation to allow fireworks on one night of the year to celebrate Self Government Day. The 1st of July.

Try starting a fire in any of our forested regions and see how well you fare. :)

Much of Australia has a total fire ban all year round.
Yeah, I've seen what a wildfire does in Oz. Every bit as bad as here...maybe even worse.

Yeah, I've seen what a wildfire does in Oz. Every bit as bad as here...maybe even worse.
At least here the trees don't die, in fact many species won't even flower until after they've been burnt so fire is an essential part of the ecosystem.

Our federal government scientific branch, the CSIRO, recommends that in order to maintain biodiversity of the native bush it needs to be burnt in it's entirety every 2 to 5 years. If fires happen this regularly we get what is known as a cool burn, tree trunks get singed but not badly burnt.

Where we get problems is when people get it in to their heads that all fire is bad and prevent these cool burns, then so much detritus builds up under the trees that when a fire does come through it generates enough heat to set fire to the tree canopies. Then you get a firestorm that destroys everything in it's path.

I did enjoy the novelty of being able to buy my own fireworks when I lived in Darwin. They're a complete waste of money but I did have some fun with them. The warning on one box of fireworks gave me a giggle -

Danger. Keep out of children.

At least here the trees don't die, in fact many species won't even flower until after they've been burnt so fire is an essential part of the ecosystem.

Our federal government scientific branch, the CSIRO, recommends that in order to maintain biodiversity of the native bush it needs to be burnt in it's entirety every 2 to 5 years. If fires happen this regularly we get what is known as a cool burn, tree trunks get singed but not badly burnt.

Where we get problems is when people get it in to their heads that all fire is bad and prevent these cool burns, then so much detritus builds up under the trees that when a fire does come through it generates enough heat to set fire to the tree canopies. Then you get a firestorm that destroys everything in it's path.

I did enjoy the novelty of being able to buy my own fireworks when I lived in Darwin. They're a complete waste of money but I did have some fun with them. The warning on one box of fireworks gave me a giggle -

Danger. Keep out of children.
We have government mandated burns here as well, though on occasion they don't go as planned. :eek:

We have government mandated burns here as well, though on occasion they don't go as planned. :eek:
We have that trouble here from time to time too, hawks and kites will pick up burning sticks and drop them in new areas spreading the fires. They do this to frighten small prey and get an easy catch. I've seen them in parks up the top end stealing from barbecues, they don't take the chops and sausages, they steal the burning sticks.

Truthfully, I can take or leave fireworks. The light show they provide are neat, but they are very loud. I've learned to deal with it. But there are days where just hearing them being launched and blown up in the sky is kinda annoying.

I don't mind new years. However people in my neck if the woods really need to shove off with the daily fireworks during July. I get it. It's the 4th. Our country's day of independence. But you don't have to blow up the things ALL MONTH LONG!!!!

I am on the verge of a aneurism just thinking about it.

These days light shows using drones are far more spectacular than anything that can be achieved with fireworks.

These days light shows using drones are far more spectacular than anything that can be achieved with fireworks.

YES, YES - thats the future! - I have seen it many times on a screen but never IRL - It is so cool it can be done with drones :)

I enjoy expected fireworks at an appropriate time. Knowing what to expect takes away the shock factor. Noise-sensitive people can break out the ear plugs. Random fireworks at 2 am tick me off.

Or am I hearing gunshots? Could be either.

I enjoy expected fireworks at an appropriate time. Knowing what to expect takes away the shock factor. Noise-sensitive people can break out the ear plugs. Random fireworks at 2 am tick me off.

Or am I hearing gunshots? Could be either.
Yeah, there is some truth to that, if I knew it would be ragnarok for a couple of hours on new years eve, it would be more manageable than these random bursts :) - it's not like "jump-scare" scaring to me, assuming I'm not out side and it is really close/loud, it's more like - hey what is going on, it's the unpredictability that is challenging, apart from me being stressed by noise in general, and then worrying about my mailbox being a victim :)

As far back as I recall, fireworks meant covering my ears because the noise "hurt." Ironic I was born so close to July 4th that my mother always included fireworks as part of my birthday parties. The other kids would happily wave sparklers and cheer for the Roman candles and other such things. I wouldn't go near them.

Nowadays, I live in the high desert, where you'd think nobody would so much as a light a sparkler. Nope. My entire neighborhood sounds like storming the beach at Normandy. They invest in the big, super loud ones too. And it goes on for days. I hate it. The dog hates it more. And authorities won't do a thing.

As far back as I recall, fireworks meant covering my ears because the noise "hurt." Ironic I was born so close to July 4th that my mother always included fireworks as part of my birthday parties. The other kids would happily wave sparklers and cheer for the Roman candles and other such things. I wouldn't go near them.

Nowadays, I live in the high desert, where you'd think nobody would so much as a light a sparkler. Nope. My entire neighborhood sounds like storming the beach at Normandy. They invest in the big, super loud ones too. And it goes on for days. I hate it. The dog hates it more. And authorities won't do a thing.
If you cannot change your environment, adapt to it—hearing protection. Shooter's muffs that neutralize loud noises while letting quiet ones through would be best. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot to do for the dog. Close the windows and keep the dog in the quietest room in the house. Ours go for a bedroom closet. Had a vet who used to prescribe doggy Valium. Now, he gives us Gabapentin.

If a violation of a law is common enough, the authorities can't do anything. Tens of thousands of violators and dozens of police to handle it. Those police are already too busy with ordinary crime to worry about it.

As far back as I recall, fireworks meant covering my ears because the noise "hurt."
I really didn't like it as a kid either, but then I also got scared and covered my ears when someone blew up a balloon, being afraid it would go "pop".

I really didn't like it as a kid either, but then I also got scared and covered my ears when someone blew up a balloon, being afraid it would go "pop".
Omigosh yessss!! I HATE balloons popping. I would cringe when I watched someone blow them up, afraid they'd go overboard and BOOM.

They're too loud. Even when watching them I'd often cover my ears.

Personally, I'm against the use of fireworks because they scare animals.

New Threads

Top Bottom