• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Finding a Job/Employment

RosieSweets

Hi guys,

I am currently studying Autism in my final year and i am starting a research based project with aims to raise awareness for the struggles individual's face when it comes to finding employment, and to promote charities and organisations that provide support for these issues.

I'd be so grateful for anyone who can contact me (privately if you wish) and discuss with me your experiences in finding employment as someone on the spectrum.

Thanks everyone!

Rosie :)

Finding employment is difficult for some. But many can get by that step. Its keeping the job, designed for neurotypicals, that is perhaps the most common problem.

In a Seller's Market economy, the skilled among us can find employment, even if we are the last ones to be considered.

I worked for three years at Motorola. While there, I developed a patented item for them. (It is now owned by Google.) They moved their factory out of my commuting range (possibly due to my research for them) and I couldn't get work anywhere else since (a patent notwithstanding)!

In a Buyer's Market economy, employers have no reason to consider our skills (with our attendant communication issues) when there are so many other skilled candidates to be found (without such handicaps).

(For the sake of you research, I should point out that I was at the top of the class in all of my navy & civilian tech schools.)

Last edited:
I struggle to even fine places which will take me on for experience let alone payed work. Despite being more then qualified for a lot of places. I was told their was nothing suitble from a local arts company who took EVERYONE else who applied for it. Despite my GCSE art (most other applicants were in the middle of their GCSE in art). I have been turned down by libraries, mueseams etc. They never say it’s because i’m autistic but at this point I kinda of know it is. Thankfully now I have 2 great work experience placement (even if it did take over a year to find the secound one) and I am making great progress in both and have even managed to find an accountancy department which would be willing to let me do a placement their.

I struggle to even fine places which will take me on for experience let alone payed work. Despite being more then qualified for a lot of places. I was told their was nothing suitble from a local arts company who took EVERYONE else who applied for it. Despite my GCSE art (most other applicants were in the middle of their GCSE in art). I have been turned down by libraries, mueseams etc. They never say it’s because i’m autistic but at this point I kinda of know it is. Thankfully now I have 2 great work experience placement (even if it did take over a year to find the secound one) and I am making great progress in both and have even managed to find an accountancy department which would be willing to let me do a placement their.

That's such a shame! Despite the amount of disability discrimination laws around, you wouldn't think that this would be a common thing but unfortunately it is! Amazing news that you've got yourself 2 work placements, that's such a good start and hopefully having this experience now can help you in the future if you decided you wanted to look for a job. There will always be somewhere that will be open minded and accepting, just such a shame that they seem so hard to find!

That's such a shame! Despite the amount of disability discrimination laws around, you wouldn't think that this would be a common thing but unfortunately it is! Amazing news that you've got yourself 2 work placements, that's such a good start and hopefully having this experience now can help you in the future if you decided you wanted to look for a job. There will always be somewhere that will be open minded and accepting, just such a shame that they seem so hard to find!
In the future I plan to look for a job at the moment I am just practice and getting use to various work places so it won’t be so hard when I want to go into employment.

In the future I plan to look for a job at the moment I am just practice and getting use to various work places so it won’t be so hard when I want to go into employment.

That's a good idea. Build up your skills and experience so that when you do decide to go for a job, you may find it a little easier! It's great that your building up your experience already in different places. There's no rush to these kinds of things, whenever you feel ready :)

New Threads

Top Bottom