• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Financial Problems anyone?

I'm going to be honest with you and give you advice but you may not like it. This is not meant to be mean or hateful but you are asking a very adult question and the adult world is not a very sugar coated world so I'm going to be completely straight with you.

This is coming from someone who has worked for others for 12 years and also has worked for himself in many capacities. I've seen the best and worst bosses and I've also started, failed and succeeded in running my own business(es) from home.

If you can't handle the pressures of a normal job then you most likely won't be able to be self employed. Think about it. If working for yourself was easier than working for someone else then everyone would be doing it.

Working for yourself takes way more emotional and mental stability and focus. If you are having money troubles trying to balance things now you won't be able to balance the books and taxes on a company that has to answer to the IRS. The reason why fewer people are able to be at-home independent, managing their own business is because they are more functional than the average person at an average job. Sure there are exceptions but this is pretty much how it is. People who successfully start a business at home and actually succeed deserve much credit and admiration because it is a huge feat of character and strength; not something you are currently displaying. Stay with me though, you need to hear this. It does get better.

I get the fact that you don't want to have to answer to a boss but that's not going to help you. If you struggle with following rules or direction then how are you going to run a business when you are the boss? Some bosses are stupid and some of their rules are stupid, I know this. But if you work for yourself you will find that you are not only going to have to follow the rules but make them for yourself and others and enforce them. You think pressure is bad at a normal job? Try being the person responsible for a mistake on the company level and having to take responsibility for it with your own money and time. Working independently is putting everything on you; every stress, every mistake, every dollar, every bit of reputation. It's not for people who are timid.

Often people use that word "debilitating" and they don't seem to see that it's a double edged sword. If you are too debilitated to work a job (where you get paid for a small task in a company) then you are far too debilitated to run a company solo. Even programmers have to get up and do things. No real job that makes real money is going to be easy. If you are caught up with what you can't do, you will never push past them to see what you really can do.

And you ask "Can I make it on disability benefits alone?" and I will point out that even if you do get disability, it's not a very fulfilled life you will be making it on. It's not a very big check even if it seems free to you. I have known many people on disability or constantly chasing disability and I have to be blunt: If all you see is the need for money, you will never be happy with anything you do. Sitting on a disability check usually brings out the worst in people. Jobs represent far more than just a source of money in our lives; they provide structure, motivation, goals, life lessons, accomplishments and general purpose to getting up in the morning. If you just receive a check full of money (that I worked for and was taken from my paycheck) you will lose more than the financial race, you will lose motivation. Trust me, even the most lively people I've known turn lazy and start compromising all their goals when they can just sit around and get disability. And it's even harder for them to ever get the strength to get up and start working again. I knew a mother who was extremely independent and strong willed; she hated welfare and what it meant but as soon as she gave in and got her first couple of checks, she quit trying at everything. She remained debilitated because nothing pushed her to get up anymore. You start taking a hand out for not being able to survive, trust me, you will never find strength anymore. Hunger drives us to push ourselves. Survival pushes us to become stronger than we were yesterday. Start lining up for free "making it by" money and you will lose your spirit making it impossible for you to start a business.

You think you can't go back to school because of $6,800? You are operating on a poor scale. Let me explain the figures to you:
You can find a trade and get a certification for only a couple $k, like welding or drafter. A welder can easily work 40hrs/week and pull in $5,000 a week! I'm a self taught Graphic Designer with plenty of years under my belt; if I wanted to set up for some freelance work I would earn $35-40/hour. Last job I took I worked for two days straight on a rush job (CGI architectural rendering) and pulled in $1.7k for 48 hours of work which I did in a 48 hour period. So for 2 days I made a month's wages compared to my normal job. But in order to do that I had to be faaaaar past a debilitated mindset.

I'm over $100k in student loan debt; that's over 10 times your debt, and I'm still going back to school. It's not because I'm stupid, It's because I have a plan and I have willpower to push on and not give up. I have skills, talent, experience, self encouragement and a fire lit in my spirit. I know that once I get certified in AutoCAD (I already know the program) I can freelance at $40+/hr and after I take the robotics degree I'll be able to earn around $55+/hr. I run my own business too and doing so is not for people who can't handle pressure or stress. When I'm ready to start working again I will be pulling in at least $2k/week. That makes only 50 weeks to pay off a six figure debt; that's less than a year. If you give up and take my tax dollars, you will probably earn $300-600/month and you will be just "getting by" but if you pushed yourself instead of giving up, you could be making 10-30 times that money and $6,800 will not scare you so much.

Your scale of understanding is off. Your debt is little more than a paycheck to someone who works hard. You aren't going to get far on disability because even if you get it, you are only allowed to earn so much... it literally limits you from making any real money. You need to understand that if you can't handle a job, running a legitimate business is going to be far harder. People start their own businesses (hipsters with laptops excluded) after they have grown too strong and independent from working for others. I used to work 2 jobs (day and night) and pulled 90 hour work weeks and both jobs (college teacher and security guard) had a lot of heavy responsibilities and pressure to balance. That being said, it's even harder to try and build a business from the dirt up.

You say "I cringe at the thought of being under someone else's control since I'm insufficient." This is not a reason to try and start your own business nor is it good enough to call yourself disabled. This is a characteristic you need to overcome personally. You think you are insufficient to do a job? How can you expect to work from home and keep yourself on task, motivated and organize your legal paperwork and taxes? No, you need to build your confidence. If you really are insufficient and debilitated the answer is not to sit around on our tax dollars, you need to work at yourself; become stronger.

I've seen men with no legs get up and run races! I've seen people who were never going to walk again, walk again. Van Gogh struggled with extreme depression and insanity. Beethoven was nearly deaf and he was still composing! Def Leopard's drummer has only one arm! There's a guy with down syndrome who runs his own restaurant. There are people in wheel chairs playing basket ball! There are people with no arms who put a pen in their mouths and draw/paint beautiful pictures. Even a friend of mine works hard at being a graphic designer despite the fact that he's 100% colorblind. You think you are debilitated to the point where you can't function, you have been taught wrong because our history was built by people with missing limbs and grenade damage and birth defects and pain but they all had one thing in common: They didn't give up and accept that they were no good.

Whatever you think is holding you back, it's only holding you back because you think it is. If you want to start a business you had better be doing it from a position of strength and independence, not fragile and debilitated. That is my advice; you don't like it, you don't have to take it. But I think you can do better for yourself than giving up and accepting your insufficiency.

watch this video and ask if you think you are more disabled than this guy

It has never been a goal of mine to just "sit" on a disability check. You don't know my whole story. Do you really think I aimed at failure? No. I'm not giving up, but not you or anybody else has traveled the same road as I have and vice versa. After all i've been through, I am a very strong person as most wouldn't have been able to survive.

Bill Clinton was never impeached, he lost his bar lincesnse to practice law in the state of Arkansas for lying under oath.

Impeachment is the act of the Senate bringing a sitting president to trial whether they are convicted or not. Both presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were formally impeached. However neither were convicted.

It's a fine point of the law, but for some reason it's commonly misunderstood.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/presidenc1/tp/List-of-Presidents-Who-Were-Impeached.htm

Last edited:
Oh very good point. This is why I'm not a lawyer.

QUOTE="Judge, post: 330278, member: 2593"]Impeachment is the act of the Senate bringing a sitting president to trial whether they are convicted or not. Both presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were formally impeached. However neither were convicted.

It's a fine point of the law, but for some reason it's commonly misunderstood.

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/presidenc1/tp/List-of-Presidents-Who-Were-Impeached.htm[/QUOTE]

Church isn't saying you are aimed for failure. He does have a point if you're too disabled to work a basic job(sweap floors, mow yards,pick up trash along the highway,etc) there's no way you could run a business.

There's a differce between getting a disability check and a welfare check every month. Do you know what the differce is? I have a lower than Low economic status, but i don't qualify for either.

If your self employed you're not qualified for either.

In my honest opinion I have a very hard time with welfare. Frankly it's a major waste of tax dollars. Nobody is entitled to anything just because. I would much rather see the government make jobs for people than just give them a hand out.When I'm old enough you bet I'll take all the social security, Because it's my hard earned dollars that I paided into. Beside I'm 50 years away from that, but by the time I get to enjoy that SS money I will have paided into that system for 50 years so I am entitled to it.

It has never been a goal of mine to just "sit" on a disability check. You don't know my whole story. Do you really think I aimed at failure? No. I'm not giving up, but not you or anybody else has traveled the same road as I have and vice versa. After all i've been through, I am a very strong person as most wouldn't have been able to survive.

While I have been prudent with money, it is mainly because I've always worked for it and rarely had much of it. There is truth in the value of work, and the ability to work for a living.

I agree with the difficulty in being "self employed". I also have executive function problems, as well as social anxiety and have tried several times to make my interests into money making hobbies, but have been unable to become self employed, much less start a business. It is just too challenging for me to juggle all that is needed to get the work, get the work done, keep it all organized, then start it all over again. Not to discourage you, I have known several people who have been able to piece it together and make a living. If there is something you'd like to try, give it a go.

I have been able to maintain steady employment aligned with my interests, but in the non-profit world; easier to get along with people (lots of oddballs and misfits) but there is a reason it is called NON profit. No one, outside the executive level, makes much money, and it is no refuge from the ebb and flow of the economy.

I urge you to keep up hope, good luck.

I am also in a TERRIBLE financial state. My interests often take over rational thinking. It is my fault, but I wasn't aware of my condition when I made these choices. I might have done something about it had I known. Working is hard because as you said having people hovering over my head and micromanaging that drives me bananas. I have a job, but don't want to work more hours as I'm finding a problem on moral issues. I'm Vegan and my OCD is making me see and hear the animals dying when I see the meat on the plates(I work in a restaurant). The people for the most part do drugs where I work. My only social life is going out with them sometimes when I sometimes fall back into that rut of sticking c£$p up my nose, compounding the money issues. I've considered moving to a veggie restaurant, but the thought of how new people respond to my erratic behaviour makes me extremely anxious. I had a good job where I was left completely to my own devices. I left this job during one of my "episodes" and now feel completely lost. I don't see a way out anymore.
I am, however a fighter and refuse to give up.
I think those of us struggling with money and work should keep going, keep fighting and getting to know our worst enemy(ourselves). We can all do it, we just need to find the personal system that works for us:)

I'm sorry I was far harsher than I should have been.I'm sorry for that.

It's just that disability really should be your long term source of income. If can get on disability, you should use it to support your self, while You heal your self mentally, physically, emotionally.

You are capable, Sophie. Being on welfare would be a waste of your strength and talent.

Aspiescentral is my only outlet. I can barely walk to the mailbox after being held captive and sodomized to the point where I can't even sit on a comfy sofa without pain. I'm not sitting around making excuses as to why I can't work right now. I have scoliosis, chronic migraines, chronic back pain, PTSD, ADD, severe anxiety and depression. I can't stand longer than 20 minutes at a time. My earliest memory is of watching my grandfather waving a gun at my mom. From age 6 to age 40, I have endured extremely traumatic experiences including witnessing my grandmother murder kittens, verbal, mental, emotional and sexual abuse from my mother. Father abandoned me as he gave me to a grown man when I was 14. This man raped me repeatedly at knife point. I suffered starvation. Had a boyfriend who beat me up almost every day, to the point of my teeth being kicked out. I also have a learning disability. I'm slow. I have very hard time interpretting what I read. I read like everything's directions. My mind is a constant playback of nightmarish occurrences. I have poor speech. I have gastrointestinal problems. I'm extra sensitive to particular sounds. On top of all that, I also have autism with aspergers. And I'm still not giving up. I didn't start this thread to be ridiculed and made to feel like I'm after a free check from the government!!! I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I will get there, but I truly need help right now, not ridicule.

Last edited:

Some people are idiots Catlover. Convinced that they understand everything when they don't at all, except to force their idea of advice on others. Some actually live at home with their parents and attempt to tell others how to live their lives both financially and morally for their own 'good.' It's the whole pick yourself up and do what I think is right, a sort of egotistical control from a distance, you won't like my advice but I'm going to 'preach' to you anyway about how you should live your life, these are individuals who often think they have all the answers. When in many cases they have no idea what it is to be sexually abused, beaten, and treated like a piece of dirt by people they trusted. Some do, and often many abused men and boys are simply urged to get a job and 'buck up' and not to dwell on the abuse that happened. So it resurfaces later at different periods in their lives, and is enacted again and again on the people around them. Only therapy and help will change any of it, and actual real work in understanding that it had really nothing to do with them, that it was about the people who abused them and they were randomly chosen because they were close, Aspies have a tendency to be the targets of others.

What's happened to you is horrible. And there's little I can say that won't seem as if it's a platitude that means little. You need a great deal of counseling and therapy to attempt to recover from the things that have happened to you. It's not a question of getting on your feet and finding a job right now. It's more about the things you have to do to feel anything at this point. You need social services, therapy, group counseling and a great deal of help to work your way through this. Don't know if there is a victim services arm of the government available to you, but you also need that. I have no idea what's available to you in this respect, perhaps Warmheart might know. As she's seems cognizant of many aspects of social services in the US. As I'm in Canada I know about only what is available in my country. If you need to talk about this, PM me, I'll do what I can.

Some people are idiots Catlover. Convinced that they understand everything when they don't at all, except to force their idea of advice on others. Some actually live at home with their parents and attempt to tell others how to live their lives both financially and morally for their own 'good.' It's the whole pick yourself up and do what I think is right, a sort of egotistical control from a distance, you won't like my advice but I'm going to 'preach' to you anyway about how you should live your life, these are individuals who often think they have all the answers. When in many cases they have no idea what it is to be sexually abused, beaten, and treated like a piece of dirt by people they trusted. Some do, and often many abused men and boys are simply urged to get a job and 'buck up' and not to dwell on the abuse that happened. So it resurfaces later at different periods in their lives, and is enacted again and again on the people around them. Only therapy and help will change any of it, and actual real work in understanding that it had really nothing to do with them, that it was about the people who abused them and they were randomly chosen because they were close, Aspies have a tendency to be the targets of others.

What's happened to you is horrible. And there's little I can say that won't seem as if it's a platitude that means little. You need a great deal of counseling and therapy to attempt to recover from the things that have happened to you. It's not a question of getting on your feet and finding a job right now. It's more about the things you have to do to feel anything at this point. You need social services, therapy, group counseling and a great deal of help to work your way through this. Don't know if there is a victim services arm of the government available to you, but you also need that. I have no idea what's available to you in this respect, perhaps Warmheart might know. As she's seems cognizant of many aspects of social services in the US. As I'm in Canada I know about only what is available in my country. If you need to talk about this, PM me, I'll do what I can.
Mia I am grateful for your advice, thank you. I have limited resources in my area, especially autism resources. Yes, I agree that I need therapy...still in my 3 month waiting period for mhmr services which will hopefully give me the help I need. I feel like I'm just waking up from a 40 year nightmare and I'm lost and confused. And to make matters worse, I don't anyone to confide in about this. My boyfriend tells me to "suck it up". I've cried so many tears that I'm just about all dried up. People say, fix yourself. How? I really and truly appreciate your kindness and understanding.

How about you start by being aware of your feelings, simply being cognizant of them. Then begin writing them down in a journal, whatever they are, write stories however painful, feelings, ideas, anything to get you thinking about yourself.

tree You are the one here with the psychology degrees, not me, what do you think should be the first step she should take? What would you advise? Most of my knowledge of therapy comes from personal experience as a patient and my own reading on the subject.

Aspiescentral is my only outlet. I can barely walk to the mailbox after being held captive and sodomized to the point where I can't even sit on a comfy sofa without pain. I'm not sitting around making excuses as to why I can't work right now. I have scoliosis, chronic migraines, chronic back pain, PTSD, ADD, severe anxiety and depression. I can't stand longer than 20 minutes at a time. My earliest memory is of watching my grandfather waving a gun at my mom. From age 6 to age 40, I have endured extremely traumatic experiences including witnessing my grandmother murder kittens, verbal, mental, emotional and sexual abuse from my mother. Father abandoned me as he gave me to a grown man when I was 14. This man raped me repeatedly at knife point. I suffered starvation. Had a boyfriend who beat me up almost every day, to the point of my teeth being kicked out. I also have a learning disability. I'm slow. I have very hard time interpretting what I read. I read like everything's directions. My mind is a constant playback of nightmarish occurrences. I have poor speech. I have gastrointestinal problems. I'm extra sensitive to particular sounds. On top of all that, I also have autism with aspergers. And I'm still not giving up. I didn't start this thread to be ridiculed and made to feel like I'm after a free check from the government!!! I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I will get there, but I truly need help right now, not ridicule.
Aspiescentral is not enough to help you. I see your life has been one of extreme trauma. We here are helpful, and caring too - but your problems demand irl people and support, both psychological and physical.
Catlover614 when posting extreme graphic violence please: put a Trigger Warning ahead of it.

Aspiescentral is not enough to help you. I see your life has been one of extreme trauma. We here are helpful, and caring too - but your problems demand irl people and support, both psychological and physical.
Catlover614 when posting extreme graphic violence please: put a Trigger Warning ahead of it.
I don'tknow what a trigger warning is. But will not disclose anymore graphic details.

kestrel

Is there a function for "Trigger Warning" specifically?
Or did you mean just to put the words "Trigger Warning"?

A Spoiler could work, if there was information that would be
better disclosed that way. It took me some time to figure out
how to use the Spoiler thing.

You showed me how to do the tag/mini-avatar thing.
Help me know what you mean by "Trigger Warning,"
please.
:evergreen:

It happened on a consistent basis 6 years ago. From Nov.2009 until June 2010

Are you saying that you are in pain from that now?

From the verb tense in the post, it sounded to me as
if you were saying that due to historic injury you
suffer, at this time.

Are you saying that you are in pain from that now?

From the verb tense in the post, it sounded to me as
if you were saying that due to historic injury you
suffer, at this time.
I don't know how to answer without being gross. I'm just going to say it's still raw like it was yesterday, have a burning sensation that hasn't gone away.

Church isn't saying you are aimed for failure. He does have a point if you're too disabled to work a basic job(sweap floors, mow yards,pick up trash along the highway,etc) there's no way you could run a business.

There's a differce between getting a disability check and a welfare check every month. Do you know what the differce is? I have a lower than Low economic status, but i don't qualify for either.

If your self employed you're not qualified for either.

In my honest opinion I have a very hard time with welfare. Frankly it's a major waste of tax dollars. Nobody is entitled to anything just because. I would much rather see the government make jobs for people than just give them a hand out.When I'm old enough you bet I'll take all the social security, Because it's my hard earned dollars that I paided into. Beside I'm 50 years away from that, but by the time I get to enjoy that SS money I will have paided into that system for 50 years so I am entitled to it.
I never said that I was entitled. In fact, I deserve way worse than my current circumstances. Not everyone heals at the same pace. I'm not looking for hand outs either! I have fallen, but I will get back up.

New Threads

Top Bottom