• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

That video clip I showed could be evidence for her autism just as much as for Phil's-if one bears in mind the fact that people with ASD are very individual.
Did you see the episode where she tries to be likeable?

Yeah - as I recall she was VERY awkward. I think she's just more high functioning than Phil. Also, some folks with ASD really excel at math or science whereas others with words and language skills (just not in reading facial expressions, etc.). She is prolly in the latter category. She never seems to "get" anyone else unless Ted explains it. The show jokingly paints her as evil, but she usually does the right thing after Ted explains it, usually in much more detail than would be necessary for others.

I do agree with that, it allows some space for projecting. Though I did find Mr. Collins' character more sympathetic in the context of ASD.
I don't adhere to the ASD-in-Austen model myself, but I've never read the book you mentioned. This is the first I've heard of it, actually, but I'm a little leery of anything that slaps the ASD label on every "odd" character or introverted person . . . it's a cottage industry now. I find it rather tiresome, to be honest.

Every time I watch the "Twilight" films more and more I relate to Bella Swan as an Aspie. I love how subtle, yet obvious her character is in this regard.

How she so easily gravitated towards vampires and wolves...and how awkward she continued to be when around NTs. Unmistakeable.

Last edited:
I don't adhere to the ASD-in-Austen model myself, but I've never read the book you mentioned. This is the first I've heard of it, actually, but I'm a little leery of anything that slaps the ASD label on every "odd" character or introverted person . . . it's a cottage industry now. I find it rather tiresome, to be honest.
I do think the character of Mr Collins only makes sense when seen as an Aspie.

Although I do also agree that in general, there are too many ASD labels on odd fictional characters. Many of them are just odd because the writers decided it would be funny, but some of these characters still seem very NT to me. For example, I've read of Micheal in The Office being described as an Aspie. No, I look upon him as an NT character that does weird things. But in the case of Mr Collins i agree with the label.
Of course, one could dispute whether such labels have any meaning at all when applied to a fictional character who has no real existsnce.
The one thing that bugs me is when ASD is attributed to historical figures who died long ago. Mozart, Jefferson, etc. We have no way of examining these real persons in a way that would allow such a judgement to be accurate.

The one thing that bugs me is when ASD is attributed to historical figures who died long ago. Mozart, Jefferson, etc. We have no way of examining these real persons in a way that would allow such a judgement to be accurate.
Exactly. It's all wild speculation. (Jane Austen's been called an Aspie too.)

I don't think Mr. Collins needs to have ASD to make sense, though. I've been around plenty of people like him.

It is decades since I have watched Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, and I don't think Frank is an aspie. However,...

Whenever there is a social problem, it's always perceived as Frank's fault (whether it was or not) and whatever he does to try and fix it, it just makes the problem worse.

I think maybe a few of us can relate to this.

Last edited:
Harry Dresden from the Dresden Files.
He avoids eye contact with people because it'll initiate a "Soul Gaze," which is looking into someone and seeing the core of who they are. It's a super-sensory overload thing, which means all wizards are Aspies, if you think about it. :smilingimp:
He's also very awkward, tells lame jokes, obsessed with magical theory, clueless about social interactions at times, always wears his leather duster.
I'm obsessed with the series, so I'm probably reading all of this into it. :sunglasses:

Doc Martin (from the series of the same name)

Theres also a child (Peter Cronk) in the earlier season that displays some traits

Love Doyden castle from the final episode, I'd be in my element living somewhere like that

New Threads

Top Bottom