• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

hmmm...could you give more detail?

Nine could not bring himself to kill a lot. Except daleks, but only when they were threatening to exterminate planets. Ten could bring himself to kill. Eleven seemed to rather enjoy killing. Haven't seen Twelve yet.

Nine could not bring himself to kill a lot. Except daleks, but only when they were threatening to exterminate planets. Ten could bring himself to kill. Eleven seemed to rather enjoy killing. Haven't seen Twelve yet.
I kind of felt like ten enjoyed killing: he just didn't like to admit it.

Not a fictional character but in interviews I've seen on You Tube, I've suspected The late Marilyn Monroe of being an Aspie. Disorganisation , sleeping and anxiety problems yet very astute , vulnerable and honest. Also abit of a ranter.

This is her last interview.

Not a fictional character but in interviews I've seen on You Tube, I've suspected The late Marilyn Monroe of being an Aspie. Disorganisation , sleeping and anxiety problems yet very astute , vulnerable and honest. Also abit of a ranter.

This is her last interview.

I've suspected that as well, although it is hard to say for certain.

I almost forgot: Erik the Opera Ghost from The Phantom of the Opera showed many aspie-like traits, exhibiting difficulty in emotional expression and replictating the emotions of others, purposeful isolation, unwillingness to form relationships (unless if he was kidnapping them or bossing them around), lack of empathy, extremely narrow and obsessive interests, marked preference for closed spaces, and repeditive patterns of behaviour.

While I seriously doubt the character was autistic, there's no denying he had a bit more of the aspie in him than the average person.

How about Horton the Elephant?
• Naive
• Taken advantage of
• Says what he means
• Means what he says
• Stubborn commitment to the end of the task
• Doing right thing more important than social acceptance
• Exceptional hearing

Though his fine motor skills and balance maybe don't fit.

I never really considered Erik from Phantom of the Opera as an autistic character, interesting thought though,
Madame Catfish. While obviously he has many difficulties and problems, they may very well be explained by his face deformity, and subsequent lack of social development (shunned by his mother, and being displayed in a circus as the living dead).
-
I read the book So Odd A Mixture some years ago, in which several Pride and Prejudice (written by Jane Austen) characters were diagnosed with autism. Most of it was a bit of a stretch, but it was interesting to read the explanations for Mr Bennet, Mr. Collins and also Mr. Darcy.

-
I read the book So Odd A Mixture some years ago, in which several Pride and Prejudice (written by Jane Austen) characters were diagnosed with autism. Most of it was a bit of a stretch, but it was interesting to read the explanations for Mr Bennet, Mr. Collins and also Mr. Darcy.
I think that many of her characters could be interpreted in different ways. There is enough detail left up to the imagination to allow for various interpretations.

T
I never really considered Erik from Phantom of the Opera as an autistic character, interesting thought though,
Madame Catfish. While obviously he has many difficulties and problems, they may very well be explained by his face deformity, and subsequent lack of social development (shunned by his mother, and being displayed in a circus as the living dead).
-

That's why I don't really see the character as autistic- it was strictly a result of how he was treated throughout his lifetime rather than being born with the traits. But this also raises the idea that one can follow the diagnostic criteria but not "be" autistic, if that makes any sense. For instance, a child might be reluctant to form peer relationships as a result of bullying, so they would technically follow the diagnostic, though it wouldn't be an inborn thing, as autism is "supposed" to be. Would they still be autistic? (I'm leaning towards the negative)Also, can the idea be reversed?, i.e, can one be autisistic but display none of the symptoms? Am I making any sense? : P

Last edited:
I keep wondering what is inborn and what is conditioned as a result of what's inborn.

For a successful example: Joey Tribbiani.

Having done searches, it appears that my picks are already taken, in particular Lisbeth Salander and even Poirot.

I think that many of her characters could be interpreted in different ways. There is enough detail left up to the imagination to allow for various interpretations.
I do agree with that, it allows some space for projecting. Though I did find Mr. Collins' character more sympathetic in the context of ASD.

That's why I don't really see the character as autistic- it was strictly a result of how he was treated throughout his lifetime rather than being born with the traits. But this also raises the idea that one can follow the diagnostic criteria but not "be" autistic, if that makes any sense. For instance, a child might be reluctant to form peer relationships as a result of bullying, so they would technically follow the diagnostic, though it wouldn't be an inborn thing, as autism is "supposed" to be. Would they still be autistic? (I'm leaning towards the negative)Also, can the idea be reversed?, i.e, can one be autisistic but display none of the symptoms? Am I making any sense? : P
Yeah, still following, but have nothing to offer but speculation and opinions. :) In case of the bullied child, she/he would need some other symptoms and traits, and there's still a difference between reluctancy and inability (I concede to it being a very fine line in practice!). So, while having issues most likely stemming from low self-esteem, it wouldn't 'really' be autism (misdiagnosing happens however). And about the reverse thing, if none of the traits are displayed, it won't be recognized as such, so even if your theory is true, how are you going to prove it? :p

I do agree with that, it allows some space for projecting. Though I did find Mr. Collins' character more sympathetic in the context of ASD.

Yeah, still following, but have nothing to offer but speculation and opinions. :) In case of the bullied child, she/he would need some other symptoms and traits, and there's still a difference between reluctancy and inability (I concede to it being a very fine line in practice!). So, while having issues most likely stemming from low self-esteem, it wouldn't 'really' be autism (misdiagnosing happens however). And about the reverse thing, if none of the traits are displayed, it won't be recognized as such, so even if your theory is true, how are you going to prove it? :p
I'm not planning on proving it- I hardly believe it myself. Less of a theory than speculation. I was just curious as to how reliable a diagnostic is if it doesn't provide the motives for each of the symptoms- if individual patients share the same traits but for completely different reasons would it still be a "syndrome" or would it be more akin to a psychological classification? Like I said earlier, I'm not attatched or commited to the idea, only bored and in need of something to think about.

I've actually wondered about Ted's boss, whose name escapes me, and whether she is high-functioning. She's not like Phil, but she has her obsessions. She certainly has some issues socializing in a "normal" way.
That video clip I showed could be evidence for her autism just as much as for Phil's-if one bears in mind the fact that people with ASD are very individual.
Did you see the episode where she tries to be likeable?

New Threads

Top Bottom