• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fear of Authority

CassLovesBears

Alekzandra
Although not yet diagnosed I'm on a journey to discovering whether or not I have aspergers. I have odd experiences in childhood that I'd like assistance in decoding. As a child I would hardly ever converse to my friends parents because I feared them. I had an abnormal fear of adults. This fear made me very driven to be liked and I never wanted to be seen as a bad kid. Maybe it derived from my strong desire to please people. I'm not exactly sure. All I remember is being sensitive to adults and their criticism. I hated when adults were angry with me because I can't stand yelling or even slight raise in voice when depicting anger. I never was able to. My Mother took pride in the fact that she hardly ever had to discipline me because talking to me meanly was enough. I also remember my friends parents disciplined us for being rude to a girl. I tried so hard not to cry even though they weren't even my parents. I just was so upset at the concept of getting in trouble. Still to this day I have a fear of authority figures. Talking to a boss would be near impossible for me without anxiety. I'm instantly anxious around cops too. I also was anxious about how my teachers perceived me.

Although not yet diagnosed I'm on a journey to discovering whether or not I have aspergers. I have odd experiences in childhood that I'd like assistance in decoding. As a child I would hardly ever converse to my friends parents because I feared them. I had an abnormal fear of adults. This fear made me very driven to be liked and I never wanted to be seen as a bad kid. Maybe it derived from my strong desire to please people. I'm not exactly sure. All I remember is being sensitive to adults and their criticism. I hated when adults were angry with me because I can't stand yelling or even slight raise in voice when depicting anger. I never was able to. My Mother took pride in the fact that she hardly ever had to discipline me because talking to me meanly was enough. I also remember my friends parents disciplined us for being rude to a girl. I tried so hard not to cry even though they weren't even my parents. I just was so upset at the concept of getting in trouble. Still to this day I have a fear of authority figures. Talking to a boss would be near impossible for me without anxiety. I'm instantly anxious around cops too. I also was anxious about how my teachers perceived me.
You don't have aspergers. In fact, no one does. Aspergers isn't a diagnosis anymore silly~.

You don't have aspergers. In fact, no one does. Aspergers isn't a diagnosis anymore silly~.

Untrue, many people including some member's of this site were originally diagnosed with Asperger's and the term is still used in other countries in the world.

Last edited:
You don't have aspergers. In fact, no one does.
I do. I was diagnosed with it.

I fear authority figures too, but for different reasons. I fear people telling me 'no', that I can't or am not allowed to do something. I find it hard to deal with feelings of frustration when told 'no' and have been known to melt down in public on occasion. I often don't want to approach people to do things because I think they are going to say no, and then I have to deal with the feelings of anger or frustaration.

Although I was diagnosed on the autism spectrum, the expert, clearly stated that I have aspergers ( sorry, I know that is not related to your post).

I too, am the same way; in fact, I become a child when talking to authority figures and that is some achievement, when I am 49 lol

I fear authority figures too, but for different reasons. I fear people telling me 'no', that I can't or am not allowed to do something. I find it hard to deal with feelings of frustration when told 'no' and have been known to melt down in public on occasion. I often don't want to approach people to do things because I think they are going to say no, and then I have to deal with the feelings of anger or frustaration.

I can relate to this 100%.

I also fear authority figures and I hate, hate, hate being yelled at or scolded verbally. Just a couple weeks ago my preacher called me over to ask me a question and I was panicking and found myself not breathing, thus short of breathe. lol Even going to get a driver's license I'm a nervous wreck. And, yes, the boss wants to see me...………………. but, of course, no one likes to hear those words I think.

I have fear of angry people, not authority figures in particular because of child abuse. I feel safe and comfortable around the police, teachers, the military etc. because i would never make them angry.
Being hyper aware of adults' moods is something i grew up with as a survival skill. Keeping mom happy kept me alive.

Im so sorry you had to deal with that. Child abuse is one of the most horrendous acts. How anyone can inflict harm upon a child is something unfathomable to me. Thank you for sharing :)

I know it's not, I never said it was. Being scared of a vacuum cleaner isn't either but it doesn't mean autistic people can't share similar traits. :)
You opened with the statement that you want to find out whether you have asperger's. You immediately followed that with your problems with authority. It's pretty standard to follow with the problems that make you think you might be on the spectrum, so it was perfectly logical to assume you believe a problem with authority might be a sign of Asperger's. If you aren't actually making that connection, then you've created a confusing non-sequitur.

Im sorry I confused you it was not my intentions. I was trying to convey the fact that I have not actually been diagnosed yet. So I'm sure I'm a lot less knowledgable on this subject matter than many others. All I can do is read articles and sift through google/YouTube. I felt as if it could be related to me being autistic. Which if I'm not incorrect being sensitive to things such as yelling or mean tone -can- be an autistic trait. (Many authority figures talk more sternly) I also was simply curious if autistic people as a general population respect/fear authority more than the average nuerotypical. I hope this cleared things up a little bit. Not all autistic people are the same and not all nuerotypicals are either. I enjoy finding our differences and similarities :)

Inherent fear of authority? No. However I am always mindful of authority when it's either nearby or in my face. Probably the result of being raised in a military family. So I'm not apt to approach much of anyone in serious authority in a casual manner.

I didn't find growing up in a quasi authoritarian environment nearly as problematic as having to start from scratch socially each time we had to move .

I most certainly have issues dealing with authority and authority figures and this has been the case since i was in school. I'm now 43.

I think that during my latter school years in the late 1980's / early 1990's it was a fear of them but also an awareness that they never listened to any defence or mitigation for my behaviour. They always knew best and i just had to accept it and deal with it. So from an early age i suppose i developed a mistrust in authority figures and to be honest a contemptible lack of respect for them.

The odd thing was that during my many jobs throughout my working life i never came across a manager who was kind, open, trustworthy and genuine. A lot were simply egotistical narcissists who manipulated staff, were hypocritical and never treated people equally. Some were just ignorant and lacked any sort of empathy for staff.

I used to hate having to have dealings with them or to go into their office as i could barely speak due to fear that all my feelings and thoughts about them and their management style would come out in one uncontrollable mighty rant. This did happen on a couple of occasions followed by the sack. Lol

I've always believed that i shouldn't have to listen to or respect anyone in authority unless they have earned it. Regardless of who they are. Even if it was the Queen. If i met the Queen i'd be nice and polite as she seems like a nice woman but there is no way i'd curtsy and bow down to her. She earns respect by being a nice person to everyone and not by being the Queen and i'd respect her for being the person rather than the Queen if that makes sense?

I tend not to trust authority figures as they usually have a lot of power and i find with a lot of NT's they are unable to not be influenced by this power and many abuse it. They cannot be trusted to make critical and difficult decisions for the greater good. There is always an element of selfishness in their decision making.

Not in all cases obviously but enough for it to be a big problem for me.

So i think when i was younger it was fear of authority figures but as i've got older and experienced it for myself, that fear has turned to mistrust and suspicion.

I did have a friend/acquaintance in the sherriff's dept - he had search dogs. But he was also my mechanic. Once I stopped by to see what was wrong with a van I had gotten from my ex so he was taking it for a test drive. As we were driving I was just casually telling him that I had my car tags on it until I got the paperwork from my ex. He looked at me funny and I said, "Oops!" He did not give me a ticket. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom