• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favorite Quotes

"I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

RIP- Rowdy Roddy Piper, "They Live"

Hate to sound all fancy and bust out the Italian, but I was listening to some music the other day and just had to write these down:

Un pensiero nemico di pace
Fece il Tempo volubile edace
E con l’ali la falce gli diè;

Nacque un altro leggiadro pensiero
Per piegar sì rigido impero
Onde il tempo più tempo non è.

I especially love that last line- like waves, more time isn't more time, or literally "time more time is not" and the second line where "time is made fickle and greedy". I'm not a particularly fancy person, but I just love that stuff. That's basically the entire aria of "Un Pensiero nemico di pace", which Cecilia Bartoli sung like a boss. The whole aria just sounds like it's rolling down a rocky hill with its rythm, which is perfect for the setting.

Also, (I can't remember the name of the aria) there's this one that has a line like
Lumi potete piangere which means "enlightened ones may cry", with second person plural -ete, so it is like the person singing the aria is giving permission for the "enlightened ones" to cry, which actually seems more comforting and motherly than bitchy with the following line (non riderete più) "You never laugh anymore".

from La Divisone del Mondo, Act 3, by Giovanni Legrenzi, ?

from La Divisone del Mondo, Act 3, by Giovanni Legrenzi, ?
Yes! Thank you! It was on the verge of driving me insane- I didn't have the courage to face the searchbar :p. It was the version sung by that countertenor Jaroussky, I think.

"Evil's just destructive, Agent Starling? Then storms are evil, if it's that simple. And we have fire and then there's hail.
Underwriters lump it all under 'acts of God'.
I collect church collapses, recreationally. Did you see the recent one in Sicily? Marvellous! The façade fell on sixty-five grandmothers at a special Mass. Was that evil? If so, who did it? If He's up there, He just loves it, Officer Starling. Typhoid and swans- it all comes from the same place."

-disturbing quote, but beautifully written, I thought.

"Evil's just destructive, Agent Starling? Then storms are evil, if it's that simple. And we have fire and then there's hail.
Underwriters lump it all under 'acts of God'.
I collect church collapses, recreationally. Did you see the recent one in Sicily? Marvellous! The façade fell on sixty-five grandmothers at a special Mass. Was that evil? If so, who did it? If He's up there, He just loves it, Officer Starling. Typhoid and swans- it all comes from the same place."

-disturbing quote, but beautifully written, I thought.
Typhoid and swans--hehe, yes, that is just wonderful

"I strongly reject any conceptual scheme that places our options on a line, and holds that the only alternative to a pair of extreme positions lies somewhere between them." Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life p. 51

Last edited:
British Officer: "You call yourself a patriot, and loyal subject to the Crown?"

Hawkeye: "I do not call myself subject to much at all."

-"Last of the Mohicans" (1992)

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Mark Twain

"The Vulcan heart was forged out of barbarism and violence. We learned to control it but it is still part of us. To pretend it does not exist is to create an opportunity for it to escape."
Tuvok.

11816093_1008119029245242_7893165455802477668_o.jpg

“But knowledge does not protect one. Life is contemptuous of knowledge; it forces it to sit in the anterooms, to wait outside. Passion, energy, lies: these are what life admires.”
James Salter, Light Years

RIP James Salter

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom