• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fashion and clothes

Did he have really nice shoes? If so that was me. Otherwise, it's good you got away safely.

Just remember, no guy wears his best shoes when up to something nefarious. Patent leather is very vulnerable to scuffs and don't even get me started on what blood does to suede.
I was too distracted by the hoodie to worry about his shoes. xD But I do think he had stylish pants. I think he later came back and passed me by when I was in the bus station. Unless it was a younger guy with a hoodie. Wouldn't surprise me if every guy wore a hoodie cause it was snowing

I can't wear anything around my neck - feels like I'm choking. Can't wear any type of jewelry because I'll get a rash - even gold and silver and hooks, etc.

Can wear loose necklaces, which I often make, but I can't wear scarves which make me feel like I'm choking. Also have reactions to gold, silver, even platinum rings, with a rash. Don't like anything on my hands.

Maybe because you are a nurse? Always washing your hands or wearing gloves? And jewellery on the hands was just another impediment. For me it's because I have paint or ink or glue on my hands much of the time.

Don't worry about your brother. Do as you like and he'll probably get used to it in time.

By the way there's a new hoodie fad in my country, and it's because of a very mysterious hoodie masked singer whose identity no one knows, especially not paparazzi. Genius, right? Him and the band are good too at singing, dancing, live connection to the audience and lyrics. Such is rare for Romania. Just like leather is.

Last edited:
Ignore your brother, to begin with. Then start by working out what shape you are, as not all fashion will suit everyone. For example, I'm an hourglass shaped hobbit, so I tend to stick to very fitted waists and italian cut or 1940s/1950s style clothes, so I don't look swamped in material. If you're tall, then you can pull off different clothes to someone my height. Accentuate certain areas and camouflage others depending on your shape. Also look at your skin tone/hair colour and work out which colours look best and which to avoid. I'm very pale with a yellow undertone, so yellow/orange/certain shades of red make me look like a corpse! So I have to be careful to avoid those. Do the same research for your skin colour.

I think a lot of people make the mistake of looking up what the current trends are and just copying them, but learning what suits you is key. I'd also suggest you learn basic tailoring skills, as then you can always adjust clothes you find on sale or bespoke items that you love but don't quite fit.

I get interested in personal fashion from time to time but then I go to the store and look at the prices and the interest goes away

Sorry if I offend....

I do understand the desire to be comfortable and be yourself, to be different and not ashamed of who you are. To not mask. But we live in a world full of people who can not think as we do and can not understand us (even as we have a hard time understanding them.)

Clothes are important. Wearing clothes that "fit in" with the NTs in the area you are living can stop a lot of harassment. I choose to avoid the hassle and be slightly uncomfortable, it really helps. (It is extremely hard for me to wear clothes I do not feel comfortable in, I adjust around what is being worn until it is bearable.)

At a job, notice how the other employees are dressing (they are going to have kind of a uniform, its what they do) and copy their style (except in neutral colors.) I would suggest that you do not dress like management, it can cause friction with other employees and if you want to succeed at work you need them more on your side than against you (did that make sense?)

I think it is a lot harder for women? Styles change and just being a little different can cause attitudes?

Does this help? Or am I being "Captain Obvious"?

I mostly wear preppy clothes that fit well. Some brands have better fits than others. Particularly, some of the premium and luxury brands run small. Two brands that seem to have a good fit for me are IZOD and Nautica.

New Threads

Top Bottom