• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fashion and clothes

inkfingers

21 year old artist
I am 19 years old, and only recently became interested in looking nice, and wearing clothes that fit me well. I went through a phase like this when I was maybe 13 or 14, and then I forgot about it and went on wearing jeans and t shirts, because it is comfortable. I feel almost scared to wear nice clothes, because I don't want my brother to make fun of me, and I don't want to be vain. I know that this is silly, but that is how I feel.
Also, my sense of fashion is overalls and a t-shirt. Maybe jewelry if I am feeling fancy, but no makeup. Maybe I feel self concious when wearing jewelry and nice clothes because it is kind of silly. After all, jewelry serves no important purpose, except to look nice. I guess I think that clothes should be functional and comfortable, and modest. Does anyone else think this way? I want to wear nice clothes, but I don't want to draw attention to myself, because I hate talking to people.

I've always been a simple person when it comes to clothes.

I wear PJ Pants and a Hoodie when I'm in the house and a hoodie and jeans (or shorts depending on the season) when I'm out and about

I too, think in the same way(s).

I don't wear jewelry, never got a piercing, no tattoos.
I wear pretty much that--- jeans and a t-shirt.
I have never been one for bright colors.
Black, navy blue, dark grey, light grey, and blue and green, if they are subdued.
I agree, that it's an anti-vanity, or modesty thing.
I don't like to aggrandize myself.

That being said, if I have to attend... something, I clean up fairly well.

I dress for practicality and comfort.

I don't do makeup because I hate the feeling of anything on my face.

I do have some jewelry shock I like to look at -- sparkly-- and will occasionally wear for stimming.

If you want to wear nice clothing sometimes, I hope they are also functional and comfortable. You can still be modest.

Other people noticing? The proper answer to a compliment is TY.
Your brother? Tell him it is tough [for him] to be jealous.

You do you, whatever that looks like in clothing.

I dress for practicality and comfort.

I don't do makeup because I hate the feeling of anything on my face.

I do have some jewelry shock I like to look at -- sparkly-- and will occasionally wear for stimming.

If you want to wear nice clothing sometimes, I hope they are also functional and comfortable. You can still be modest.

Other people noticing? The proper answer to a compliment is TY.
Your brother? Tell him it is tough [for him] to be jealous.

You do you, whatever that looks like in clothing.

I don't think he would be jealous, I guess I thought he might tease me because I NEVER dress fashionable, and it would be out of character, I guess.

I think that way too. I dress quite simply, practically and very modestly and usually the same sort of thing: basic short sleeve t-shirt (and jumper in winter) with jeans/shorts/dungarees. Personally can't stand short shorts, I stick with medium-long length and don't like the "fashionable" girl outfits that have rips and tears all over them and have more holes than fabric :eek: Also don't like wearing anything that has holes in the shoulders for example - I like the idea of them, they look okay on other people, but no way am I trying it on! I don't like tight clothes, so every piece of clothing I own is about 2-3 sizes bigger than it should be, it's more comfortable for me. I like looking at jewellery, it's pretty, but don't really wear it because it gets in the way when I'm trying to do things and when I run it goes all over the place which is annoying. I also tend to prefer dark colour clothing to bright or light colours, like sidd. It's just more appealing and maybe because I don't want people's attention to be drawn to me?

I went crazy with this when I was a teenager!

I decided I despised the silliness of fashion and bought random clothes and refused to try them on.

I only recently got clothes that fit me, and now I wear different colored T-shirts and different colored cargo shorts or blue/black jeans and different colored jackets if it's cold, all solid, single-colored.

So I'm just changing color every day. Looks the same. Chameleon duck. :cool:

Last edited:
There was a time when I was in my twenties, that I really liked certain types of clothing. Worked for a short time in the fashion industry. So I had access to decently made clothing that fit well, and was well, beautifully made. Good fabric, decent sewing and fit. So I would search out nice clothing from vintage places that I could afford later. Can also sew myself, so I would buy things and alter them to fit properly.

Like wearing clothes that last awhile, from decent fabric, as I get attached to things like jackets and pants and skirts and shoes and boots. And wear them for a long time. People tend to treat you differently if you are badly dressed in some situations. So I make sure that I dress well under certain circumstances. The rest of the time, I simply wear comfortable clothing, that I like. My brother never had any say in how I looked or dressed when I was growing up, few people did.

Last edited:
I mostly dressed for comfort. I did use to wear long hippie type skirts - was comfortable. I rarely was dressed like everyone else. Actually, I never even noticed what other people were wearing. But have always dressed modestly and never fancy. I can't wear anything around my neck - feels like I'm choking. Can't wear any type of jewelry because I'll get a rash - even gold and silver and hooks, etc. I had pierced ears before I knew of the allergy and just thought, even after several years they weren't healing - still itchy and red and never healed. Wedding ring - finger itched all the time.

I went through a phase in the mid eighties when I would only wear dress clothes and a tie to work. After a couple of years I went on a vacation and fully got over that phase. Strictly jeans after that.
I would say that when I dressed that way I had more self esteem, and people paid more attention to me and were respectful. Someone always seemed to think I was the Walmart manager, or the grocery store manager, or worked at whatever store I walked into at lunchtime. Now I like functional and comfortable clothing, and blending into the crowd. I pretty much have the same wardrobe for everything, with just a different level of dirt and holes depending on the job I'm doing. I even reached an opposite extreme the other night when I got free drinks at McDonalds because the kid working thought he was being nice to a homeless guy.

I have always dressed for comfort. I am like Pat. I can't handle anything around my neck either. I couldn't wear jewelry for years because it started bothering me to have rings on my fingers. Felt lke they were closing in on me. I have only recently started wearing rings again. I can't sleep in them. I need the break from wearing them.

Unfortunately for me, clothes determine how I feel about myself and my childhood was one of needless poverty and so, grew up with this sense of wanting nice clothes to wear.

Also, ever since a child, I have wanted to be a lady and so, feel most comfortable in dresses and skirts.

I started wearing a little bit of make up when I was about 17, but found lipstick to be a annoying.

Today, there is such a variety that it is easy to find a style that is not elaberate.

Never been into fashion. I wear with what suits me and makes me feel comfortable and only wear a bit of mascara when I go out to a special event.

fall, winter: jeans, shirt, sweater + light or heavy coat
spring, summer: shorts, t-shirt or polo

I'm not interested in fashion or clothes, makeup or jewellery, and dress for ccomfort, and I really don't care what people think about this. People should be able to express themselves through clothing/piercing/makeup/jewellery etc. without judgement and fear of what other people think.

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then why do you want to wear nice clothes? Also define nice clothes.

Wearing clothes that make you look more attractive will definitely incur unwanted attention, as well as clothes that make you look wealthier. I can see 20 people pass a bum by and think "Ah yes, he's not the begging kind, I'm safe!" and then as soon as he notices me he tries to block my path to ask for money.

If you have long hair hiding it with a hoodie will prevent some attention from guys, hoodies generally keep people away although maybe the really fancy good looking ones might not. Hoodies make me look like an axe murderer so for me they keep people away.

Red is a colour to avoid as it draws attention due to a subconscious effect on perceived attractiveness. Generally bright colours make you stand out more whereas softer pastels make you more approachable. Dark/dusty colours make you blend in easier. Contrast is also noticeable, so strong contrast between colours actually makes you more noticeable (Navy + red, for instance).

If you don't want to draw attention to yourself then why do you want to wear nice clothes? Also define nice clothes.

Wearing clothes that make you look more attractive will definitely incur unwanted attention, as well as clothes that make you look wealthier. I can see 20 people pass a bum by and think "Ah yes, he's not the begging kind, I'm safe!" and then as soon as he notices me he tries to block my path to ask for money.

If you have long hair hiding it with a hoodie will prevent some attention from guys, hoodies generally keep people away although maybe the really fancy good looking ones might not. Hoodies make me look like an axe murderer so for me they keep people away.

Red is a colour to avoid as it draws attention due to a subconscious effect on perceived attractiveness. Generally bright colours make you stand out more whereas softer pastels make you more approachable. Dark/dusty colours make you blend in easier. Contrast is also noticeable, so strong contrast between colours actually makes you more noticeable (Navy + red, for instance).
So you were that creepy hoodie guy last night when I took a different route home and I was alone and scared! Luckily you turned out to be harmless.

I collect jewelry but I rarely ever wear it anymore. I have tons of all colors and styles and I have matches to my dresses or clothes. Most of them im still chosing and trying on, it's hard to find matches especially if you have multiple jewelry, it must all be in harmony with everything. That takes time so i only take the necessary now, which is earrings.

I can't stand rings, even though I love them, theyre hardest to wear. They cling to my clothes and rip my pockets and scratch me and make my finger bones ache. I can't wash my hands well with them or dry them. Then there are bracelets which are always around my hands and if theyre dangly i can lean on them and break them or make ky hands uncomfortable.
Necklaces may be uncomfortable especially if they are heavy, and if i keep pulling them to one side, they cut my skin around my neck.

In high school I decided to stop looking like a boy and got my ears pierced and started wearing lots of jewelry. Issue was that I went overboard with a lot of stuff on me, statement earrings, hair pins of colors and necklaces, clothes also weren't simple so looking back i Realized it was too much.

Now ive adopted a simple style that i see in high class people and not too much jewelry [just earrings tbh]. And its much more practical and fast, i sleep and relax more and i get ready in less time. This is why I sacrificed makeup too. I realized Im not ugly without the stuff that hurts my eyes and skin, hormones and makes me prone to cancer. And it's really no crime for a lady to not wear it and nothing to be ashamed of. Plus the smell of nail polish makes me cough my lungs out as does cigarette smoke or car one. My nails get yellowish under polish and dry. I rather have them naturally medium long but I do have pretty nails. Always got my classmates trying to make me 'admit' how they weren't natural. I also can have them cut short but that's hard to work with and may hurt.

Last edited:
I remember when I was a school teacher for a brief period teaching mainly teenage girls in the humanities classes, all the girls looked so alike... they were almost like clones of each other, like a Borg collective, all with the same kind of clothes and hair and style - I have mild prosopagnosia and found it har to tell them apart. I know, of course, that they are different people with different personalities, but on a surface level at least, they all seemed the same.

So you were that creepy hoodie guy last night when I took a different route home and I was alone and scared! Luckily you turned out to be harmless.

Did he have really nice shoes? If so that was me. Otherwise, it's good you got away safely.

Just remember, no guy wears his best shoes when up to something nefarious. Patent leather is very vulnerable to scuffs and don't even get me started on what blood does to suede.

New Threads

Top Bottom