• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fans

Do you sleep with a fan on at night?

• Yay!

• Nay :(

Results are only viewable after voting.

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I need to know that I’m not the only one. I like to listen to the noise while I go to sleep. It’s a sensory thing. The silent noise drives me crazy.

For me it's just a temperature control issue, I can't sleep without a fan during the warmer months, and even in Spring and Autumn I like to sleep with a big thick doona over me and have the fan on.

Tip for young players: Don't have the fan blowing on your face, your eyes dry out during the night and when you wake up in the morning they'll be sore and gritty. Just have it blowing across your body instead.

Definitely a fan of fans. The sound is so soothing. I feel so suffocated in stagnant air, so I have mine going all the time. I got the best fan last year and it makes me so happy.

th

Doesn't everyone like some white noise to go to sleep by?

It doesn't need to be a fan. It could be the pattering of rain, water flowing in a brook, the wind in the trees, very soft music, or the droning of a BBC announcer.

Only in the summer, and only because it's hot. Otherwise, I try to make the room as quiet as possible. Though continuous white noise doesn't bother me as much as neighbour noises, dogs barking or traffic noise.

Doesn't everyone like some white noise to go to sleep by?
Some people want it as dark as possible and no noise at all.
I'd never be able to sleep peacefully that way.
I need a nightlight, a Florida style ceiling fan and usually a little ambient soft music.
Drives anyone who's had to share a room with me nuts.

I have to sleep with a fan, a white noise machine, an air conditioner, the TV, or a YouTube video. I have never fully understood why but silence keeps me awake.

I live right off of the highway so there is a fair amount of road noise in the early evening, which helps too.

Sometimes, it would even be snowing outside, and I'd be in here with the fan on. Extra blankets, no doubt, but I really need that breeze and noise.

The feeling of the wind on my skin and in my hair puts me right to sleep.

Another thread that makes me feel like I've found the right community! :)

I like the fan for its help with cooling, but I also like the noise and I find it very uncomfortable when the fan is switched off and I'm hit by it's absence.

I also have to have sound in the room and a bit of light too. I tend to put on YouTube videos I've seen infinite times that won't cause me to concentrate on them.

I also live by a fairly busy road, with idiot "Ricers" revving and backfiring their engines all night. Somehow, the gentle noise of the fan makes them less attention grabbing.

I can't sleep in a dead silent, pitch black room. The tiniest noise is like a cannon going off and it snaps me awake instantly.

I've got problems with sleep. But this is the way I always used to sleep without issue. Unfortunately doctors etc can't understand this. They like to ask the Orwellian NewSpeak question "How's your sleep 'hygiene'?"

When I describe the way I sleep, a big smug grin comes over their face and they say "Oh well it's no wonder you are having difficulty sleeping!". Because in their world, no-one at all needs these things to be present to get sleep and I'm just an idiot.

My girlfriend has a fear that the fan will make her ill, so I have to keep the fan on my side of the room.

But HOORAY FOR FANS! Our gentle, noisy, cooling sleep aids! :)

In the summer, absolutely. But prioritized around 70% for constant airflow when the air conditioner is turned off at night, and 30% for ambient sound. And as it happens each and every year, around this point in time I start to feel uneasy, knowing that I'll need to turn the fan off at some point as it's beginning to cool down. In another month it could even snow at times. Living in the High Desert....

Otherwise I have a clock radio a few inches away that allows me to leave the radio on to hear classical music while I sleep, or better still ambient sounds like waves crashing, crickets in the summer, a thunderstorm or my favorite, the sound of rainfall. :cool:

Sadly though in as much as I crave ambient sound while I sleep, my tinnitus is aggravated by much of any consistent, even soothing ambient sounds. Leaving me to wake up and hear my right ear ringing louder than whatever ambient sound I was enjoying.

I think even as a kid the one thing I disliked the most about going to bed was when it was simply TOO QUIET...where the slightest creak or whatever would keep me from falling asleep.

Last edited:
Yes. A fan, the AC or a movie on allow me to rather pull focus and then drift asleep. Oddly, if I am writing, I am better when classical music is playing. It can't be music with words, though because I will start to sing along...and then I'm not going to be writing anything at all, haha.

Just to keep the humidify dispersed, if it gets too dry nose bad combination when on blood thinners spontaneous nosebleed at night not fun. use humidify in winter. Again, need fan to disperse air. either way own air conditioner but do not use or need it. Most of the uncomfortable humidity comes from our bodies

Last edited:
I am most comfortable with nature sounds (not to include barkingg dogs or traffic). When I am cramping, I sleep more soundly with the night birds, crickets, etc. I do not like feeling fan airflow on my skin, and I do not like being under covers. If it is exceptionally warm and humid, I can tolerate a fan blowing across me on low and/or far away. But if there's enough breeze to disturb the small hairs on my skin, it might as well be a water torture.
When at home, if the neighborhood dogs get going, I will use brown noise and earplugs. I find white noise to be too harsh.
Having said all that, I have narcolepsy and can fall asleep anytime anywhere, but I don't STAY asleep. The above applies to getting a good night's sleep as opposed to 743 cat naps throughout the night.

And as it happens each and every year, around this point in time I start to feel uneasy, knowing that I'll need to turn the fan off at some point as it's beginning to cool down.
Last night was the first time in 6 months that I had to turn the fan on, the noise was very annoying and kept me awake for a while. :)

I hate noises and whatnot but I do use this fan as it's quiet but powerful. It is an old industrial type fan as once used in schools, churches, and factories. The chrome is kinda rusty and it likes being oiled with twenty-weight engine oil every few months, but it's pretty reliable.

16947288787342010394231838445526.jpg

1694728634025532414513967170030.jpg

I've been thinking on adding a fan to my bedroom lately, sometimes it gets too hot in it, but (as many have pointed before) the sound may interfere with me trying to fall sleep. It is hard for me to fall sleep normally, I don't need anything else making it difficult lol.

I have a tower fan in my home office, it has 3 speed settings plus some night and power saving options that could make it really silent but that is if the fan is completely clean...like new clean, I have found that dust on the blades makes a difference with time, and in my case, it is really difficult to properly clean them.

Last night was the first time in 6 months that I had to turn the fan on, the noise was very annoying and kept me awake for a while. :)
Point taken. Not all fans operate with the same pitch at the same speeds. I can't say I like the sound of most of them at their highest RPMs. Worse if they oscillate.

New Threads

Top Bottom