• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Explanations perceived as excuses

Indeed. Younger me once was tasked with proofreading a text, in another company. Little did I know said those pages, which seemed to have been translated by a kindergartner over the phone in a noisy train station, had been written by no less than the Communications director. So I proofread and edited the document as requested, and they freaked out when they saw the amount of correction. I said something to the effect of "Maybe you should be more careful when choosing who you outsource technical texts to, because this company basically stole your money" and... that was my last week there. So I learned that lesson and I try to apply it.

Procedures are often written by people who do the job. These folks tend to write horrible procedures. Then someone new comes along and the written procedure is horrible, steps are missing, and things do not go well.

When I was younger I went off on how horrible a procedure was, listed all the missing steps, and it turned out that the boss wrote it.

I hate when people say your just making excuses,My aunt decided to tell my grandfather and his wife (whom mind you haven't seen me in years and wouldn't even recognise me if they saw me in the streets) that I'm on the spectrum and the reply that my grandfathers wife said to my aunt about me even though she doesn't know anything about me is that I'm making excuses,I'm glad that my Grandfather and his wife never had anything to do with me and my brothers because at least I wouldn't have had to deal with their nasty attitudes all the time.

I get that all the time

Why dont you work for animal shelter again? Too depressing
Why dont you work picking fruit again? Sundamaged skin
You are so lazy, you wont even mow your lawn - Too scared to make loud noises and attract attention

eh...mind your own business ppl and how bout trying to concentrate on being a better person yourself!!!!!!

Wow. I was just having this conversation with someone close to me. When I try to communicate explanations about myself, they're seen as excuses, which really bothers me. Also, it seems that if I say anything that's not positive and sparkly, it's interpreted as complaining. As others have noted, this can be a real problem when trying to solve problems at work. I wish I knew a way to convince others to take me/us seriously.

yes, all the time! just the other day my supervisor and then later my therapist both texted “hope your son feels better soon” because he threw up at school. i had a confusing day as well because of meetings and a doctor appointment getting cancelled and rescheduled and i had told my therapist this to explain why i forgot our appointment. she texted me “that sound like a frustrating day, hope you two feel better soon”. so i thanked her but explained its okay, it wasn’t frustrating, and my kid isn’t sick, and asked why does everyone keep wishing he feels better if he isn’t? my intention was to have her not worry about me. she interpreted this as being aggressive and texted “wow it sounds like people are getting on your nerves today! LOL”.

????? i don’t get it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom