• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Excellent rebuttal of a scurrilous article about autism.

If you consider the Comorbid symptoms of autism as separate conditions than you also have to consider the "Good Conditions" like "better memory" and "strong interest" also should count as separate conditions.
meaning all autism would be is awkward social behavior and that's it and I don't consider that a difference like left or right handed
on top of that I find it silly to say I may have all of these other issues of I never had autism
hmm...have autism and also eating and memory problems (witch are both highly common in autism) gee I wonder if these are separate from autism

Did you read the post I linked for you? That post explains (albeit in simplified form) that which you are claiming is incorrect. You're making assumptions and basing strong feelings on information that doesn't line up with current knowledge of autism and the genetic causes behind it. The world and the future for us is not as bleak as you seem to think, nor is autism what you claim it to be.

Last edited:
The quiz that can show whether you have autistic traits

People in stem fields only have a slight chance of having more autistic traits and out of all the official criteria for autism almost all of them are objective disadvantages and there are only a few "neutral" traits.

@Autistamatic and I read your post
I don't entirely separate comorbid conditions from autism because there is strong evidence there closely intertwined and also having "specialized" as opposed to "generalized" traits or skills isn't exclusive to autism

The quiz that can show whether you have autistic traits

People in stem fields only have a slight chance of having more autistic traits and out of all the official criteria for autism almost all of them are objective disadvantages and there are only a few "neutral" traits.
The journal article being referred to is open access, why have you not linked it?

Sex and STEM Occupation Predict Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Scores in Half a Million People

I understand that most of it will not make sense to many people, but there are parts that are in more plain English, such as the conclusions. Here are the relevant parts of conclusions section:

"In this study we confirm the effect of sex and STEM occupation on AQ, supporting earlier studies, and found no statistically meaningful effects of either age or geographical region on AQ."

"We conclude that autistic traits are consistently higher in males than females, and in those working in STEM than in non-STEM fields."

The correlation is not "slight", it is statistically significant.

As for the criteria, of course it is going to be mostly negative. The only interest for diagnosing a disorder is the negative impacts it has on a person. But there is more to every single person with autism than is being described in the diagnostic criteria. Every single person has strengths and weaknesses. As shown by this study and others, there exists correlations between traits. So by describing these negative traits, the group described may be more likely to have certain positive traits.

New Threads

Top Bottom