• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Everybody's got Asperger's"

Bay

V.I.P Member
I spent the evening with a small group of classmates. Eventually the conversation made its way to personalities, and I thought I would risk coming out to my peers and tell them about my diagnosis. Their reaction? "Oh, everybody's got Asperger's. It's nothing." I was flabbergasted, and didn't know what to say.

I was a bit hurt that they dismissed it so easily, and said that it was nothing. They have no way of knowing the lifetime of pain it has caused me, or that it makes everyday interactions seem like walking through land mines. Why would they say that? It was as though Asperger's was the psychological malady of the year, and they were tired of hearing about it. It was clear that they didn't understand the impact of what they were saying.

It seems as though this just another reason to keep this to myself.

Well there is not much you can say after a response like that. It reminds me of when my son was misdiagnosed with ADHD (which he has along with aspergers) and I told a woman volunteer at his orchestra. Her response was there is no such thing, She was a fundamental Christian and claimed it was a made-up condition. It is pretty much a conversation ender. You can't argue with someone who thinks they know everything. Very sad.

Bay, first of all I am sorry that people you risked coming out of the AS closet with treated it like it was nothing. I know it was not nothing for you. However, I think while in raising awareness about Autism and spectrum disorders including AS. We have now traversed to the side of people feeling like they know too much about what people with said disorder go through. Part of it is shows like now don't get me wrong ParentHood I love the show but it shows AS and how it can affect families and I think that sometimes that instead of just making people aware they over-aware them and they don't realize that people really actually struggle with these disorders. I think the best thing to do is say nothing. Though I can understand your pain as this was a similar feeling I got from my two ex-friends who basically told me that i was liar and that I couldn't possibly have AS and AS is a cop out for poor social skills. Hugs we are all here for you. Hugs Hugs hugs :) Come hang out with us here the waters nice and warm for you.

I thought about this some more and I think what may be going on is that there are a fair number of TV shows with aspie characters. I do not watch TV much so this is relatively new information for me. There is the big bang theory about a bunch of nerd students. I watched about 10 minutes of it and found it so stupid I had to turn it off. Another TV show is called Bones. There is a woman forensic scientist who investigates crime scenes. I enjoyed watching this one. She is an attractive character but the problem is they never show her as being distressed in social interactions. She is socially clumsy with the NTs but oblivious and confident. There is no hint of the anxiety we aspies tend to feel. She dissects bodies emotionlessly and does flawless work. She makes a lot of inappropriate comments. Because it is TV it's not really about her aspergers its about solving the crime. An NT watching this would have no clue that she suffers any discomfort at all. It's like she is perfectly OK with her aspergers and so is everyone else. If this is the NT idea of an aspie, they look at her as perfectly normal just a bit quirky, but hey- no problem it's all just fine.

I think Doc Martin and third planet from the sun are a couple of other shows. There is also a TV show called criminal minds with a male aspie charecter that is portrayed exactly like the Bone's charecter, i.e., quirky but never anxious and his mannerisms are acceptable to him and everyone he works with. It causes him no distress and he does his job well. He is just a bit socially awkward but hey, no problem.

After hearing the response you received from your classmates if I ever want to make a serious statement about my condition, I will call myself a high functioning autistic rather than aspie.

I am sorry you had to experience those hurtful comments.

Last edited:
If everybody has it, then why
1. is a diagnosis? (since if everyone has it, it's not really worth mentioning medically speaking)
2. do they have any sources on that.
3. If they have it, I take it that have difficulties in life, like some of us do. And as such I don't know if going on like "everyone has it" is a valid statement.

Add in that if "everyone" has it, they have it as well... I'd probably follow up with "how does it work for you then? Any sensory issues? Have you seen a therapist for it?" Chances are they'll be even more flabbergasted and cannot give you a decent answer in line with calling it the new trendy thing to have.

It does however bother me a bit that the way there is autism awareness, and moreso "aspergers awareness" but only in a sense that people treat it like it's the current thing to have labeled upon you... people only know Aspergers as "that fancy new disorder", all while the disorder itself isn't fancy, nor new, but that's something people, who claim such things that "everyone has it" will be way to ignorant to understand.

Looking at it, I think I've got the best of both worlds then... ADHD as the 90/2000's "new thing" and Aspergers as the 2010's thing. Yay me :\

They know very little about it or may try to be polite by downplaying it. My friends and family are like this. The problem is the trauma of aspergers is hidden to them as they only see externally.

I spent the evening with a small group of classmates. Eventually the conversation made its way to personalities, and I thought I would risk coming out to my peers and tell them about my diagnosis. Their reaction? "Oh, everybody's got Asperger's. It's nothing." I was flabbergasted, and didn't know what to say.

I was a bit hurt that they dismissed it so easily, and said that it was nothing. They have no way of knowing the lifetime of pain it has caused me, or that it makes everyday interactions seem like walking through land mines. Why would they say that? It was as though Asperger's was the psychological malady of the year, and they were tired of hearing about it. It was clear that they didn't understand the impact of what they were saying.

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. I think that my class mates genuinely like me, which was why their response was so surprising. But I believe at you are right, there is a certain awareness of AS currently. That, combined with an ill-informed idea of what AS entails, may make it seem like the flavor of the day. I believe that I will be more careful in the future.

That's like assuming everyone with autism as being intellectually deficient...never mind that both present differently, we just keep to ourselves, remain non-verbal, stim, or any other odd behavior because, as far as the average citizen is concerned, we're just plain stupid.

Nope. I highly doubt Kanner or Asperger just simply observed an unique set of traits in children and pulled a name for it out of their asses called "autism". Excuse my french, but it ticks me off sometimes just how quickly people come to such conclusions based on what they think they know to be true without doing any research first.

I really son't think that these people meant to be demeaning. I think they really haven't got a clue what Asperger's really is. The media has made it into something somewhat trendy: synonymous with the super smart, tech nerd who's awkward. Ofte, despite his Aspie-ness, the person (usually male) is very successful. It makes it seem that Asperger's is much more pervasive than it is & that all it really just means being a brilliant nerd.

Aside form experts, a few doctors, Aspies themselves & a few more informed parents of Aspies,nobody really understands that we are neurologically different to NTs.

Sheldon will be the death of us all. I'm still absorbing the fact that I am neurologically different. For 45 years I just thought other people sucked.
I watch very little tv, but I gather there are a lot of new fictional aspies around. Maybe we should take a cue from deaf people, and insist that aspies must be played by real life aspies.

I watch very little tv, but I gather there are a lot of new fictional aspies around.

To be honest, all fictional aspies portray exagerated stereotypes. I don't really see how this works out for the well-informed... the less informed obviously take this as the blueprint for AS. Add in that because those fictional characters have jobs and function within their social group, people think Aspergers ain't that "bad". That's where I die a little inside since that makes me wonder if people even understand the different between reality and fiction.

Also.. if you'd make a "serious" tv show about the main character with Aspergers in a non-comical sense, I'm not quite sure if it would equal ratings and people would rather be "oh god... he's hard to deal with"... which in fact is more of a truth than what those so called "aspies" on tv are being shown as.

The fictional Aspie certainly is a collection of exaggerations. Like every other 'type' or character (the dumb blonde, the anal boss, the idiotic cop, the pedantic teacher, the sexless female librarian) depicted on tv, it seems they don't think people will understand or watch the character unless s/he is 'in your face' extreme.

Their depictions make the Aspie highly intelligent but make light of his obvious social awkwardness. HAHAHA. Let's all laugh at this guy's odd clothing, bad haircut, incomprehensible jokes & bad luck with women. this Aspie seems crafted to serve several purposes:

1. Make Autism less scary.

2. Make Asperger's into something that can be fixed with cosmetic changes (a decent hairstyle, fashionable clothing, a few lessons in social graces)

3. Make it seem like Asperger's isn't so bad: we're all brilliant 'savants' after all.

4. These shows serve as a levelling mechanism: many NTs resent our intelligence & showcasing our awkwardness makes them not feel so comparatively slow witted after all.

5. To make NTs feel less guilty: if we Aspies won't make a few simple changes so we can adapt to their society, it's our own damned fault if we ger mocked or excluded.

Movies & tv did the same to blacks, Latinos & many other unpopular groups. Like Homophobia, fear & distrust of the 'mentally ill' or mentally different is eased by laughter.

I quote you the following:

"In an interview with The New York Times, the musician Moby talked about how he was a purist when it came to tea, preferring it untainted by milk or sugar. "It might be a function of Asperger's," he said.

'You have Asperger's?' asked the interviewer.

"No," Moby said. "I just like to pretend I do. It makes me sound more interesting."

No, actually, it makes you sound like a pretentious numbskull. No matter what you think of a privileged pop star pretending to have a rather serious neurological disorder to increase his street cred, there's no doubt that Moby, for the first time in eons, has his finger on the cultural pulse. In novels, movies and on television screens, autism is suddenly the go-to disorder when you need a charmingly strange protagonist; it's become a plot device."

Society has become aware aspie people don't fit in. I think Columbo is definitely one example. The lieutenant is socially very awkward and very scruffy. He needs to dress scruffy to feel himself and be able to think. When there's a murder, he doesn't focus on the same focal view-points as the junior detectives but will instead obsess over one seemingly insignificant detail. Such as in one episode, the fact a homicide victim had sneakers on with the laces tied but not in the usual way (which mean he hadn't tied his own laces but someone else had!)
I confess I am just like Columbo is represented to be in the series. Yes, I go straight into some minor minor detail, Yes I always forget and lose something I need and, yes, I just can't seem to help being so scruffy it's become a family joke. And, yes, I do follow people around, pacing about and going on and on and it drove my girlfriend crazy at the time.
Columbo also lacks social skills which is why you see him sneezing in someone's house, interrupting a dinner or knocking things over (and let's not forget that French car).
Actually it doesn't offend me. It's not specifically Columbo is an aspie but they clearly based his character on an aspie mix. The idea being you can under-estimate an aspie when all the time the aspie is very much on the ball.
Of course, it does ignore the suffering, the loneliness, the despair, the alienation and so on. Sometimes that lack of tact people display can cause offence to aspies.
However, maybe characters such as Columbo help me more than offend. It portrays aspies can be offbeat but still successful and that they can be accepted the way they are, even if as oddballs.
Not sure what the direct answer is, though. I do tell some people I'm aspie but find they don't understand. One friend said, "Oh, my brother has that!" and my uncle simply had no idea at all what aspergers was.

The fictional Aspie certainly is a collection of exaggerations. Like every other 'type' or character (the dumb blonde, the anal boss, the idiotic cop, the pedantic teacher, the sexless female librarian) depicted on tv, it seems they don't think people will understand or watch the character unless s/he is 'in your face' extreme.

Their depictions make the Aspie highly intelligent but make light of his obvious social awkwardness. HAHAHA. Let's all laugh at this guy's odd clothing, bad haircut, incomprehensible jokes & bad luck with women. this Aspie seems crafted to serve several purposes:

1. Make Autism less scary.

2. Make Asperger's into something that can be fixed with cosmetic changes (a decent hairstyle, fashionable clothing, a few lessons in social graces)

3. Make it seem like Asperger's isn't so bad: we're all brilliant 'savants' after all.

4. These shows serve as a levelling mechanism: many NTs resent our intelligence & showcasing our awkwardness makes them not feel so comparatively slow witted after all.

5. To make NTs feel less guilty: if we Aspies won't make a few simple changes so we can adapt to their society, it's our own damned fault if we ger mocked or excluded.

Movies & tv did the same to blacks, Latinos & many other unpopular groups. Like Homophobia, fear & distrust of the 'mentally ill' or mentally different is eased by laughter.

Couldn't agree more, TotalRecoil. People who make false claims of being Aspies are no different to those who make false claims of having Multiple Sclerosis, Cancer, Dyslexia or any other condition that can be used to manipulate people. Some people have shaved their head & claimed to be in treatment for cancer & in need of money: they've used the scam to steal money from donors who take pity on them.

What does Moby want: to be back in the news? To be talked about within the context of a trendy condition associated (usually in an exaggerated false manner) with creative genius? To be thought of as interesting & relevant to boost his sales?

Another fictional Aspie character is Lisbeth Salander in Stig Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo novel (she appears in all 3 of his novels). She's an awkward computer tech genius type. Of course, he hyper-sexualizes her both as a victim & as a willing participant. It almost makes it seem okay to be an Aspie & live through horrible & confusing experiences because, after all, her emotional responses are dulled & different so bad things don't affect her the same way they would affect a NT. It just bounces right off & we then use our super genius skills to get revenge.

The sad spectacle of the Aspie poser is a direct result of these glamorized edgy characters (also see Dr. Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds) that many NTs wish they were more like. Unfortunately, we get misrepresented as do the realities of Asperger's.

Do you think, though, we should be ourselves in light of the media representation? I mean, I acted a bit like Columbo for years and was made fun of as a result. Now, people see these aspie like characters on T.V. and they think part of it is cool. O.K. sure it's offensive in a sense but the other side of the coin is that is better than a kick in the backside.
I could, I suppose, discard my scruffy clothes and start to dress real neat as part of my ongoing therapy to fit into N.T. society. On the other hand, I could relax and be myself and to some people the way I am seems cool. Yes, again, that can be offensive but I don't think people mean to be so.
In the case of the O.P. what seems to have happened was she mentioned she had Aspergers and was met by a sort of shrug as if the issue was some sort of "street cred" observation of no consequence "because we all have that these days!". That was totally frustrating and annoyingly unsympathetic to her situation. Very similar to that is when someone says to me, "You don't have aspergers because I've seen autistic kids and you're not like that, just a bit weird and eccentric!" (that had me mega annoyed as I recall).
No real answer I'm afraid. How do you tell people about something if they're not sure what it is outside of media portrayal?

Couldn't agree more, TotalRecoil. People who make false claims of being Aspies are no different to those who make false claims of having Multiple Sclerosis, Cancer, Dyslexia or any other condition that can be used to manipulate people. Some people have shaved their head & claimed to be in treatment for cancer & in need of money: they've used the scam to steal money from donors who take pity on them.

What does Moby want: to be back in the news? To be talked about within the context of a trendy condition associated (usually in an exaggerated false manner) with creative genius? To be thought of as interesting & relevant to boost his sales?

Another fictional Aspie character is Lisbeth Salander in Stig Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo novel (she appears in all 3 of his novels). She's an awkward computer tech genius type. Of course, he hyper-sexualizes her both as a victim & as a willing participant. It almost makes it seem okay to be an Aspie & live through horrible & confusing experiences because, after all, her emotional responses are dulled & different so bad things don't affect her the same way they would affect a NT. It just bounces right off & we then use our super genius skills to get revenge.

The sad spectacle of the Aspie poser is a direct result of these glamorized edgy characters (also see Dr. Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds) that many NTs wish they were more like. Unfortunately, we get misrepresented as do the realities of Asperger's.

When I was a kid I enjoyed reading Superman comics. I could not identify with Superman but instead I identified with his nemesis Lex Luther, the mad, loner, evil scientist who thought up ingenious plots to combat the all-powerful Superman. It was Lex Luther against the world. No wonder I liked him. This was one of my early clues I was different. I wish there had been aspie characters like Dr. Reid. Hey, you say NT's wish they were more like him? I wish I were more like him too. I've watched the Swedish Lisbeth Salander movies and love them, such sweet revenge. She also, unlike all the others, actually becomes distressed and is ostracized making her more real. So, while I agree there are some real negatives with the portrayal of aspies at least young aspies have "good" characters they can identify with instead of having to find fictional evil geniuses.

Last edited:
A lot of the villains in Marvel Comics were like misunderstood geniouses. Like one of my favourites Dr Octopus, a scientist who has these tentacle arms.
Sometimes I think I can even relate to Peter Parker. Not at all aspie but he's in a situation where he can't lead a normal life like other teenagers because he's different.

When I was a kid I enjoyed reading Superman comics. I could not identify with Superman but instead I identified with his nemesis Lex Luther, the mad, loner, evil scientist who thought up ingenious plots to combat the all-powerful Superman. It was Lex Luther against the world. No wonder I liked him. This was one of my early clues I was different. I wish there had been aspie characters like Dr. Reid. Hey, you say NT's wish they were more like him? I wish I were more like him too. I've watched the Swedish Lisbeth Salander movies and love them, such sweet revenge. She also, unlike all the others, actually becomes distressed and is ostracized making her more real. So, while I agree there are some real negatives with the portrayal of aspies at least young aspies have "good" characters they can identify with instead of having to find fictional evil geniuses.

I hear you. I am older than you and grew up in the 1950's, Spiderman came a little later.

New Threads

Top Bottom