• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ever have that ONE FRANCHISE you could NEVER get into!?

Any idea as to how YOU got into a cartoon, anime or other show movie game comic or whatever you might not have ever gotten into?

So going back to this question....I don't know if all of these count as franchises, but if someone is getting off topic by talking about Taco Bell (which I also can't get into either) then, the...things...that I was never interested in but gave a chance to and ended up loving - simply because I gave them a chance:

Harry Potter (movies): I always assumed these were probably really childish. I didn't get really into the books - I was an adult, but I like fiction for younger people sometimes. I thought the first book was okay, I think I stopped somewhere in the middle of the second one - it wasn't bad, I just felt I was out of the age range to be drawn in. Then we were bored and tried watching the Harry Potter movies - and were really surprised by just how much we enjoyed them.:) Half of the fun was actually watching the child actors growing up on screen. I also thought there were some profound, even spiritual, concepts in the series that I wasn't expecting. And with all of those amazing British actors - my favorites since I was a teenager - perhaps that was a big part of it, too. I'm still not sure if I'll ever get around to reading the books. Maybe, one day.

Dune: well, this is kind of a lie. I thought I would hate all sci fi. But Dune was recommended to me, and I was amazed by how much I loved that book. But it's a lie about getting into the franchise, because I never read anything else from the series.

Lost: I never care about other people's hype. Then we watched it - it was so much fun! Though by the middle I thought it was getting too ridiculous, still finished it though.

Twin Peaks: I hated this when it was running on TV when I was a teen. I only tried watching bits of episodes - one scene with Killer Bob terrified me. But in general, I just didn't get it at all - I though, how on earth can this be on TV, how can anyone watch this? Now....love Twin Peaks. I think I approached it very differently - second time around, I was more familiar with David Lynch, and to me, Twin Peaks is like if David Lynch directed a soap opera - that reframed it for me.

Totally different genre: Keeping Up Appearances. When I was a kid and this would come on....I just thought it looked awful. Now, I think it was so hilarious. Same with "Are You Being Served" - skipped past it growing up, then as an adult found it to be very funny.:)

Antiques Roadshow: looked like a snore when I was growing up, now I find it really interesting.

Dr. Who: again...kind of a lie. I think when I was growing up it was that doctor with the crazy scarves and the big curly hair? The terrible special effects put me off of that show, plus I was never into sci fi. Then, we randomly decided to give it a try and it was with the 9th doctor - we totally loved the 9th and 10th doctors.:) But I think that had to do with the level of comedy involved - once it went onto the 11th doctor, I think it became more Dr. Whoish? and we lost interest because we didn't find it as funny anymore.

So basically.....I think changing tastes and reframing things in my mind is how I've gotten into...things....that I previously really had no interest in. Just really giving things a chance, perhaps fueled by a bit of boredom.

@Nairobi ; + 10 for the Antique Road Show!
I cannot pass up an Antique store or even a large dumpster full of “stuff”. Yes, I’m a dumpster diver! My mother was one, as was her’s. We have gotten some wonderful things out of the dumpster. Even plants, some of these big box store toss half dead plants, anyone with a green thumb (like mine) can take these plant and revive them.

Sorry, I guess dumpster diving isn’t on topic with franchise is it?!

To keep back on topic, Hardees has the best hand dipped ice cream milk shake I’ve ever had! :)

@Nairobi ; + 10 for the Antique Road Show!
I cannot pass up an Antique store or even a large dumpster full of “stuff”. Yes, I’m a dumpster diver! My mother was one, as was her’s. We have gotten some wonderful things out of the dumpster. Even plants, some of these big box store toss half dead plants, anyone with a green thumb (like mine) can take these plant and revive them.

Sorry, I guess dumpster diving isn’t on topic with franchise is it?!

To keep back on topic, Hardees has the best hand dipped ice cream milk shake I’ve ever had! :)
I’ve filled our home with all manner of vintage and antique items:). Our house may look strange rather than tasteful, but full of simple little old things, interesting and special to us, once purchased by others in the 1920’s through 1940’s.

Star Trek (still don't get it)
James Bond
Rocky
Rambo
Mission Impossible
And...
Screenshot_20210801-150436_Google.jpg

I cant play GTA. I ve tried alot, different versions, but just cant do it. I learned to drive in video games on halo, maybe that's why. GTA is duulll, childish, obscene and violent, but I still cant get into it

I might have to give Demolition man a try. I have seen him in one film, Escape to Victory, a WWII film. It may not be so bad when he is out of his element. Those films he writes, directs and stars in are just too steroid on steroids for me.

From these little bits I might have to give Demolition man a try. Sci-Fi is my favorite genre. I have seen him in one film, Escape to Victory, a WWII film. It may not be so bad when he is out of his element. Those films he writes, directs and stars in are just too steroid on steroids for me.

I might have to give Demolition man a try. I have seen him in one film, Escape to Victory, a WWII film. It may not be so bad when he is out of his element. Those films he writes, directs and stars in are just too steroid on steroids for me.

From these little bits I might have to give Demolition man a try. Sci-Fi is my favorite genre. I have seen him in one film, Escape to Victory, a WWII film. It may not be so bad when he is out of his element. Those films he writes, directs and stars in are just too steroid on steroids for me.
OMG you would love it. It's so campy and it has all the 90s action tropes that make great escapism. It's a wonderful film.

I actually used to keep three seashells on the back of my toilet as a joke, because of this movie.

-Doctor Who (I tried watching several episodes)
-Sherlock (I tried reading the books)
-Twilight (I don't hate it, it just never was my thing)
-Before last year I couldn't get into Supernatural because it scared me too much but now I've seen it so much my parents have grown a bit tired of it, I got all the way up to re-watching the 11th season.

Star Trek
Jurassic Park
Matrix series

There are probably others but those are the 3 I can say that I could never get into and always preferred Star Wars over Star Trek.

New Threads

Top Bottom