• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Enjoying extremes in content.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
It seems like my interests in television and movies swing between two extremes. Either family-friendly entertainment like Disney/Pixar or Cartoon Network at one end, or things that dwell excessively on sex and violence on the other end. If it is PG-13, it probably will not interest me all that much.

I have heard from a couple of friends that this is not that unusual for people on the spectrum. Is anybody else here similar in this regard?

Its an interesting question, and I do not know the answer. But I will say you can find people of all types (ASD and NT) who like the violence and sex entertainment. It might be ASD folks still being interested in kids shows as adults that is the difference.

Or those of us with a penchant for directors like Paul Verhoeven.

Who tend to make films of various themes and content, but all essentially "over-the-top" to project a unique and amusing style of film-making.

"Total Recall", "Robocop", "Basic Instinct", "Starship Troopers", "Black Book", "Showgirls" and so on. :cool:

Besides, in college I even majored in extremes quite literally. - Totalitarian systems. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes I like a broad range of TV and films including children's stories and serials, Studio Ghibli , romcoms, robocop, sci fi political thrillers, classics... well made and well acted is probably the connecting thread though. Probably not too much extreme violence however well made! I like a storyline.

I didn't think so at first. Especially not in music, I like all my music to be uncluttered enough to hear clearly, whether it be country, adult contemporary, pop, jazz...
I don't watch very many movies.
But TV, now I think about it, on one end I'll watch crime shows, cold case shows, and other adult related material. But on the other end, I'll watch Sprout for hours because everything about it is predictable, calm, and relaxing. Sorta like someone singing soft kitty to Sheldon. And I don't have a young kid, or even one who is here that often.

I can’t handle the extremes.

If I watch anything explicit, whatever violence, profanity, or sex there is will echo in my mind over and over long after the show has ended. It will keep coming up like that new song that you can’t get out of your head. When my day is done and I’m trying to clear my mind and relax - that’s what comes up.

I have to be very, very careful of what I put in my head.

I love watching extreme genres, it always goes out one ear and out the other. One morning I'll be watching cartoons and then next it will be one of those Housewives shows or Arrow afterwards. I love the different emotions it can put me if on whatever I choose to watch at any given time.

New Threads

Top Bottom