• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dysphagia/Pseudodysphagia and ASD

I can chew with no problem, but it may take two or more attempts before I completely swallow [food]. I think that may also be because I have a bad habit of not chewing my food thoroughly. Liquids are easy, and the only times I choke are when a trickle of water or a crumb of bread or other dry food "tickles" my epiglottis, or in the case of liquid, a tiny bit seeps down my windpipe. I do recover from that, fortunately.

I guess occasional dysphagia or similar events are a thing of my autism...:angry:

Swallowing wasn't a problem for me until this year.
After I was sick from the middle of January to the
1st of April (not a "major illness", but a persistent
cold with mucus running down the back of my
throat, lots of coughing), eating became problematic.

Sometimes I had a glass of cold water for supper
instead of any sort of food, because I'd choke on
food, but not on water.

I experience both. The fear of choking comes and goes and i do not know what triggers it. when that does happen i can barely eat and the safest thing is drinking water. It sometimes starts in the middle of eating and i have to bring the food back and stop eating completely. I also struggle with taking pills too. It takes a bit of time and planning before swallowing the pill.

New Threads

Top Bottom