• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dunning-Kruger Effect / Cognitive Biases

I speak in infodumps and hyperspecifics.

That reminds me of a recent social event where someone had posed a question to the group, I gave an answer that went on for several minutes, then in a pause, we pivotted to another topic though I wasn't done yet, and looking in hindsight, I was clearly infodumping and probably boring them. Oh dear.

A particular bias I am absolutely fascinated with is the action bias. You don't hear about it too often, it lacks a flashy name and it's rather easily understood. But this one has serious ancient instinctual roots. To the point where even when I catch myself making the fallacy in my thinking, it's not easy to actually FEEL convinced that I made a mistake. I've seen highly educated individuals from all walks of life fall for it time and time again.

Tendency to favor action over inaction. Because obviously, your own controlled behavior has far more predictable effects than simply hoping your environment shifts the way you want it to. If you want to go to the beach you're better off walking than laying still until someone picks you up and carries you there. It's so obvious in all cases where it's logical that it becomes hard to catch when it's fallacious. Until we look at problems with no solution. Or problems where the solution does not involve us at any point. It's here we'll frequently have the idea to "just try something anyway." because in more innocent contexts, that may be fallacious, but it's at least harmless. We won't get anywhere towards the goal, but exploration through action can lead to many surprising unrelated discoveries, it's that little dose of irrationality in action that allows us to adapt as much as we are able to.
But then there is incompetence in actual dangerous important situations. Assuming that your input can't make the situation worse. Assuming that even when ignorant on what's going on or what to do that a random attempt is better than nothing. Assuming you're the one that can fix it, or should fix it. But some problems have no solution. And the solution to other problems do not involve your input. It's very important to know when to stay your hand despite all other cases instilling in us the feeling that we should be doing something. It's so sneaky.

Reminds me of the serenity prayer, @Knower of nothing - the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Really nice reading people's responses. :) There is such a good bunch of people here to have meaningful discussions with. Love it. ♥

Dunning-Kruger seems to be the opposite of Imposter Syndrome. In Dunning-Kruger, the person never critically evaluates their own behavior, and so thinks they are flawless. In Imposter Syndrome, the person is overcritical of themselves.

While those two are both undesirable extremes, I'd rather have Imposter Syndrome than Dunning-Kruger, because at least that means I can improve.

Dunning-Kruger seems to be the opposite of Imposter Syndrome. In Dunning-Kruger, the person never critically evaluates their own behavior, and so thinks they are flawless. In Imposter Syndrome, the person is overcritical of themselves.

While those two are both undesirable extremes, I'd rather have Imposter Syndrome than Dunning-Kruger, because at least that means I can improve.

Sort of. That is to say that nearly everyone can be subject to the DK phenomenon. All you have to be is "low on the learning curve",...example,...students or new employees,...people with relative inexperience, knowledge, and have not made significant mistakes, lacking wisdom. On the other hand, people who are true experts with exceptional wisdom,...are on the "other side" of the DK phenomenon,...for as much as they know as compared to others, they tend to be more humble,...for they have far more questions, and realize they still don't know enough about the topic,...and are far more aware of all the potential variables that could make their assessment or opinion wrong.

It's been my observation that people who know a small amount about a topic, tend to be more committed and rash regarding their decisions,...whereas, people who know a large amount about that topic tend to be more reserved and less likely to rush into a decision.

This is precisely why I rarely talk to people outside of my immediate circle or work. I speak in infodumps and hyperspecifics. I don't like people knowing there is as much going on in my head as there is because they can get weird about it. Legitimately smart people have a tendency to make others uncomfortable.

Sometimes l become very logical and see a logistics answer to something or l present with logic, and people can become visibly intimidated especially co-workers. Because in our brain, everybody thinks just like us until we discover, umm, nope. Because we think everybody sees patterns, and can link all of this together to massage a correct cost-effective result.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion" is the ULTIMATE thought-terminating cliché.

I had to take a brief respite from this forum because some people rather vehemently disagreed with my reasoning for having a special interest.

Yeah, I agree with that general idea, rather Imposter Syndrome than overestimating the self. I think I had a fair bit of Imposter Syndrome as a younger person, because I could never quite believe it when I ended up winning academic prizes. Dux of middle school - well, I thought a boy would get that, and so did that boy - mean boy, he was, and though he was clever he was also very arrogant and a bully, and he rather over-estimated himself - as some people with relatively high abilities are still wont to do even in their own pet subjects.

Dux of senior school, in the city - again, I thought this boy who studied physics would get it, and so did he - was already preening himself. I actually never imagined it could be me - didn't even go there mentally, despite the fact that I'd had that previous dux award when younger. And then I was completely flabbergasted when called up on the stage, and had no speech to give - I just expressed my shock and wished everyone a happy holiday. :smile:

Got a science scholarship into university in an open essay competition at the age of 16, significantly younger than my peers - again, whaaaat?

Got top graduate of my degree programme and didn't even attend the ceremony, I didn't have money for the academic regalia hire and didn't want my family to embarrass me like they had at my high school graduation, when they yelled at me because a boy held my hand, and when my mother said I wasn't bright, but everyone else was stupid, and both of them ran around with faces like pickled gherkins all night after I got that prize. My teachers were rolling their eyes at them. (One of them had written in a letter to the principal once - I still have it - "Where others of a more knowing kind steer clear of paths where even angels fear to tread, Sue can be seen galloping at full speed and heard at full voice." :innocent: It still makes me laugh, it's one of the funniest-but-true things anyone has ever said about me. That was the letter where he attempted to alert the rest of the staff that my home life wasn't very supportive, in spite of what my grades might suggest.)

Anyway, it didn't matter how many times I won something like this, it always ended up taking me by surprise. I learnt for the fun of it, and didn't think I was some kind of reincarnation of Einstein.

Having a reasonable understanding of my own limitations has always stood me in good stead, academically and personally. I have never considered myself arrived, complete or above the rest of humanity, and I still learn every day, and still have things to work on and improve. And I'm still second guessing myself left right and centre when I'm editing something or going over a line of thought. I'm never completely sure of myself, and this is a good thing, because I am human and fallible, with a brain with inevitable inbuilt limitations, and because even the academic elite is still Homo allegedly sapiens, and Thor help us all.

Last edited:
My mom is still a bit put out with me that I didn't give her the dates with either of my degrees. (I didn't want or have to go.) I sat through my high school graduation. That was more than enough.

I really don't like to people and I hate being the focus of anything. Me and wall...we're real good friends.

New Threads

Top Bottom