• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DSM-V (diagnostic manual)

Weezer

I understand that Asperger's has been removed from the DSM-V, why I do not know. I was diagnosed relatively recently with autism spectrum disorder. The DSM has levels 1, 2 and 3 from what I can tell. The DSM-IV had a much broader range.
The spectrum has a very broad range of function and no two are alike. Why does it seem like they are shrinking the spectrum?

Aspergers has been put into the same basket as High Functioning Autism (Level 1 Autism)

Some places still use Aspergers as a diagnosis however.

And despite as it would seem, it's not "shrinking" as you say, rather it's being made to be more organized.

These may shed some light:

DSM-V Changes for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Implications for Diagnosis, Management, and Care Coordination for Children With ASDs. - PubMed - NCBI

Diagnostic Criteria – DSM-5

DSM-5 redefines autism | Spectrum | Autism Research News

I'm pretty sure Aspergers syndrome is the equivalent of level 1 Autism (which is what I got diagnosed with). I don't know if they are shrinking the spectrum. I think that this new system better reflects the range of autism. They are simply acknowledging that Aspergers syndrome is part of the Autism spectrum.

I think it's better this way. I've come across people who didn't know Asperger's had anything to do with Autism. It's pointless and confusing to have it as an entirely separate diagnosis. I've seen some argue that it's elitist. Asperger's also has many inaccurate connotations, so if the word slowly dissolves from the world, I wouldn't mind.

I understand there were 2 main motivations:

1. Asperger's criteria are almost identical to HFA, the only real difference being related to childhood speech delays.

2. It tightened up loopholes used by private healthcare providers to withhold care/payment for people with Aspergers who had care-needs. By removing the distinction and making care-needs the primary differentiator it means that someone with Asperger's (as it was) who also has middling or high care needs could still get the help they need.

It used to be the case that if you met the criteria and had a significant speech delay, you were diagnosed with autism, and if you met tha criterai and had no speech delay, you were diagnosed with Asperger's, regardless of functioning level. Now everyone who meets the criteria receives a diagnosis of ASD, and a grade 1,2 or 3. I have seen cases of people with no speech delay who would have received a diagnosis of Asperger's receive a diagnosis of grade 2, so it doesn't always follow that all those who would have got a diagnosis of Asperger's will be given grade ASD 1.

I think there is still a lot of confusion and uncertainty (and disagreement) within the medical field about autism. The impression I got was that the group that rewrote the DSM considered Aspergers to be an early and now obsolete diagnosis. Part being it was not really distinguishable within what they now thought was a much broader range of HFA.

Good replies and very helpful. Thank you. My local library has a copy of the DSM-IV but not V. They do however have a book that describes understanding the DSM-V. I was missing some information but you guys have been very helpful.

@Aspergers_Aspie
Your experiencing the same disruption that we did at the advent of DSM-5. IIRC, the DSM-5 says that the prior Asperger's Syndrome should be ported to ASD1 (if one's symptoms are pronounced enough).

Aspergers has been put into the same basket as High Functioning Autism (Level 1 Autism)

Some places still use Aspergers as a diagnosis however.

And despite as it would seem, it's not "shrinking" as you say, rather it's being made to be more organized.

These may shed some light:

DSM-V Changes for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Implications for Diagnosis, Management, and Care Coordination for Children With ASDs. - PubMed - NCBI

Diagnostic Criteria – DSM-5

DSM-5 redefines autism | Spectrum | Autism Research News

One of the DSM-5 links expired, so here is the working one.

New Threads

Top Bottom