• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi, I discovered I am autistic a few months ago following a suggestion from my therapist. No formal diagnosis, and I’m not sure I will seek one. I’ve made it OK for almost 65 years without one, and have no need of assistance from NDIS (fellow Aussies will know what that is) and wouldn’t want to take it from those that do need it. I am a retired academic - you don’t stop working, they just stop paying you. For me, realisation and acceptance of my autistic identity has released me from schemas of defectiveness and abandonment - drivers of near-suicidal depression and anxiety. I am not defective, just different.

Welcome, @AuAL! I hope you find this forum as welcoming and helpful as I have.

For me, realisation and acceptance of my autistic identity has released me from schemas of defectiveness and abandonment - drivers of near-suicidal depression and anxiety. I am not defective, just different.

Sound like you made that realisation much faster than I did. Even after my diagnosis (at age 48), it took me a long time to accept that my difference is not a defect.

Hi, I discovered I am autistic a few months ago following a suggestion from my therapist. No formal diagnosis, and I’m not sure I will seek one. I’ve made it OK for almost 65 years without one, and have no need of assistance from NDIS (fellow Aussies will know what that is) and wouldn’t want to take it from those that do need it. I am a retired academic - you don’t stop working, they just stop paying you. For me, realisation and acceptance of my autistic identity has released me from schemas of defectiveness and abandonment - drivers of near-suicidal depression and anxiety. I am not defective, just different.
Welcome fellow Aussie, my (also autistic) dad is an academic, although his day job was as a librarian at Monash uni. He'st just now completing his PhD. When asking for accomodations during study (he has eye problems) and mentioning his "Aspergers", his supervisor said at least half of everyone in the department has it (it's Linguistics). I thought that interesting.
I'm one of the ones who does need NDIS, despite an IQ at the tippity top of the bell curve, I have ASD2 and comorbs. Anyway nice to "meet" you. Hope to see you around, at the forums, sometime. And welcome, I hope you find some connection and support here.

Hi I'm aeri I was diagnosed with what was formally aspergers About A year ago now I think I'm 16 1⁄2 year old female Who is interested in cooking And does not like stereotypes or bullying and I will stand up for anyone who gets bullied and they have an empathy issue at school

Hi there, another Aussie (well, sort of) here. East Coast. Still debating whether being open about ASD in my professional career is a good move. Not sure if this is a minority that's going to get the cool "hey, we need to hear YOUR voice" thing.

Hi I'm aeri I was diagnosed with what was formally aspergers About A year ago now I think I'm 16 1⁄2 year old female Who is interested in cooking And does not like stereotypes or bullying and I will stand up for anyone who gets bullied and they have an empathy issue at school
Hello and welcome @Alysianna!

Hi there, another Aussie (well, sort of) here. East Coast. Still debating whether being open about ASD in my professional career is a good move. Not sure if this is a minority that's going to get the cool "hey, we need to hear YOUR voice" thing.
@MNAus, I was perhaps lucky (?) that I was retired before I became aware I am autistic. There are doubtless many things about you that your colleagues don’t need to know. If, for reasons you decide, this is something they do need to know, that is your decision. Of course, considering what my circumstances are/were, feel free to take everything I say on this issue with a grain of salt.

Hello everyone. Adult in their 20s here who was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in their very early teenage years. I felt compelled to join this community as it seemed like a nice place for and accommodating of autistic people. I'm extremely shy and can't always articulate myself as clearly or concisely as I would want, but I will try my best.

It is nice to be here and I look forward to getting to know this forum and its users. :^)

Hello & welcome @Dendrite.
full

Hello all, late 40’s a late self diagnosed Asd, from Australia(central vic).
Came to the realisation during getting my teenage son re-assessed for his Asd and sitting in on his testing that I was ticking more boxes than him , and after the ‘parent’ interview brought up even more questions. I started the inevitable research (4 books,podcasts,YouTube later ). So may aha moments looking back in my life, still processing the power of understanding that their is a community of like minded individuals that have felt/suffered they same sort of things that I had just felt I was just the only ‘weird’ one out there.

New Threads

Top Bottom