• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi,

I have always been that weird kid/guy around. For 41 years now. When I was 8 years old my parents divorced and we started to move around with my mom.

I had to change school once or twice a year but I somehow learnt to observe people and play my part as required. I understood that humans are quite simple creatures - play along and let them speak and things roll out smooth. Look in to eyes, give a firm handshake, smile alot and hug back when hugged (these were hard lesson to learn). Ask questions, but not too many or difficult.

These skills lead me to be a salesguy. Even though I usually hate most of th social situations. But still now I am sales director. Unhappy one for sure, but pays the bills. Tragic actually.

Few years ago one of my clients asked me that am I sure that I am not aspie (She was a mom of 3 autistic kids)? Started to read more about asperger and am pretty sure that I am one. Or then just really really weird. Or both.

I love straight talk (hate small talk, it is so uninformative), hate talking to strange people, have not that many real friends beside of my wife. I get along with people when I put my normal mask on.

I am fascinated about neurology, space, paranormal and conspiracy theories, and science.

I dont know why I came to here. Guess I am lonely in some way. And I am also wondering if I should go check if I get official diagnose. Not sure though if it is wise. Most propably would need to keep it secret to keep my job. What do you think?

hi my name is james

i was Diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome at 4 Years old
i have never being a very social person i have had great difficulties with nonverbal communication
however i not a rude person in fact I tried to be agreeable as possible in hopes of not upsetting anyone I genuinely want to be friends with people it's just that it takes a lot out of me due to the fact that I have been isolated for most of my life mostly due to some very bad experiences with other people I generally try to keep to myself however I'm trying to Branch out and be more sociable

I Can take care of myself however there are few things I'm still learning I'm still in school but I will be graduating shortly I plan on going to college and opening up my own business

I love stories and have a passion for writing and telling them I also love and adore video games and history I absolutely despise math I really don't watch mainstream television because I find it to be a waste of time I like anime though although I wouldn't classify myself as an otaku or anything like that

I sincerely hope that I can make a few friends here I genuinely want to

Hi,

I have always been that weird kid/guy around. For 41 years now. When I was 8 years old my parents divorced and we started to move around with my mom.

I had to change school once or twice a year but I somehow learnt to observe people and play my part as required. I understood that humans are quite simple creatures - play along and let them speak and things roll out smooth. Look in to eyes, give a firm handshake, smile alot and hug back when hugged (these were hard lesson to learn). Ask questions, but not too many or difficult.

These skills lead me to be a salesguy. Even though I usually hate most of th social situations. But still now I am sales director. Unhappy one for sure, but pays the bills. Tragic actually.

Few years ago one of my clients asked me that am I sure that I am not aspie (She was a mom of 3 autistic kids)? Started to read more about asperger and am pretty sure that I am one. Or then just really really weird. Or both.

I love straight talk (hate small talk, it is so uninformative), hate talking to strange people, have not that many real friends beside of my wife. I get along with people when I put my normal mask on.

I am fascinated about neurology, space, paranormal and conspiracy theories, and science.

I dont know why I came to here. Guess I am lonely in some way. And I am also wondering if I should go check if I get official diagnose. Not sure though if it is wise. Most propably would need to keep it secret to keep my job. What do you think?

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

hi my name is james

i was Diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome at 4 Years old
i have never being a very social person i have had great difficulties with nonverbal communication
however i not a rude person in fact I tried to be agreeable as possible in hopes of not upsetting anyone I genuinely want to be friends with people it's just that it takes a lot out of me due to the fact that I have been isolated for most of my life mostly due to some very bad experiences with other people I generally try to keep to myself however I'm trying to Branch out and be more sociable

I Can take care of myself however there are few things I'm still learning I'm still in school but I will be graduating shortly I plan on going to college and opening up my own business

I love stories and have a passion for writing and telling them I also love and adore video games and history I absolutely despise math I really don't watch mainstream television because I find it to be a waste of time I like anime though although I wouldn't classify myself as an otaku or anything like that

I sincerely hope that I can make a few friends here I genuinely want to

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Hi, I'm new here and creating user names and selecting avatars always overwhelms me so I am now overthinking my choices. I live on Vancouver Island, Canada and at 51 years old have no chance of an official diagnosis but don't really need one as I have a disability income based on a different diagnosis. A friend who was formally diagnosed ( she lives in Australia ) told me she thought I was on the spectrum and that I should look into it so I spent hours and hours doing research, considering the diagnostic criteria, taking various tests online and reading about the traits that are considered typical of females. I have an adult son who is also probably on the spectrum and who received an almost diagnosis from a psychiatrist who just said 'probably on the spectrum'. He and I both struggle with anxiety. He was also diagnosed with probable Tourettes and I was told I probably had it too. I definitely stim more than tic. I have no idea what I hope to get from this forum or what I have to offer. I am just here.

Hello, my name is Adam. I like all sorts of things, all of which have something to do with learning about the world around us. I created my account last year but was way too shy to post anything (which beats the purpose of joining a forum in the first place). I hope to meet some new friends and just express myself. Please forgive me if I come off as rude or awkward, I'm not used to people. It's nice to meet you all!

Hi I’m Kat. I’m currently percolating on my next move. I grew up with some wishywashy vague “motor planning delays”, which possibly now would be classed as DCD/dyspraxia (I’m lucky to have a good number of the bits from my evaluation c. Age 5.) I’ve done alright as an adult, 6 years of steady IT employment. I’ve always been “different” and not just because I’m the only woman in the room. Some friends affectionately refer to me as Spock. My life is slightly off balance and I’m mulling over going to talk therapy vs pursuing a diagnosis as an adult. I ring in at 38 on the ASQ. Even if I’m not autistic there is little doubt in my mind I land somewhere in team Neurodiversity.

Hi I’m Kat. I’m currently percolating on my next move. I grew up with some wishywashy vague “motor planning delays”, which possibly now would be classed as DCD/dyspraxia (I’m lucky to have a good number of the bits from my evaluation c. Age 5.) I’ve done alright as an adult, 6 years of steady IT employment. I’ve always been “different” and not just because I’m the only woman in the room. Some friends affectionately refer to me as Spock. My life is slightly off balance and I’m mulling over going to talk therapy vs pursuing a diagnosis as an adult. I ring in at 38 on the ASQ. Even if I’m not autistic there is little doubt in my mind I land somewhere in team Neurodiversity.

Hi Kat, I'm new here too and really enjoying it. Recently I read about something called Broad Autism Phenotype which seems to be a category for almost autistic. Perhaps you might identify with that. :)

Greetings!

Still finding my way around the site but feeling quite comfortable already - which is somewhat of a rarity for me.

My thanks to those who have already given welcome and/or have interacted with me here.

I hope to become ever more interactive as time goes by.

I have a passion for geology/mineralogy and have already encountered a couple of others who seem to be of like mind. I wonder, is there a forum especially dedicated to this particular interest?

Welcome, @Cass! :)
I have a passion for geology/mineralogy and have already encountered a couple of others who seem to be of like mind. I wonder, is there a forum especially dedicated to this particular interest?
There is no particular subforum dedicated to this interest on this site, but there is a forum section dedicated to obsessions and interests in general: Obsessions and Interests
You could start a thread about your interest there and might find like-minded people this way.
I also found two existing threads about geology:
Geology
Geology, Geodes, Fossils & Meteorites
Maybe you would like to join and participate in these.

Apart from this there are other forums dedicated to these topics as well. A quick research brought up these two as a start:
https://community.geosociety.org/co...unityKey=854eb289-f0f9-4cd2-a91b-67ddb18362ac
FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board :: Index

Hi Kat, I'm new here too and really enjoying it. Recently I read about something called Broad Autism Phenotype which seems to be a category for almost autistic. Perhaps you might identify with that. :)
I might. I suspect that either I wasn't diagnosed as a child because girls "weren't" autistic in the 1990's. Or the feelings I'm having right now fall into the social skills issues associated with "dyspraxia". I hope to find the energy to make some calls to get on the list for an assessment appointment.

I might. I suspect that either I wasn't diagnosed as a child because girls "weren't" autistic in the 1990's. Or the feelings I'm having right now fall into the social skills issues associated with "dyspraxia". I hope to find the energy to make some calls to get on the list for an assessment appointment.
Yeah, girls weren't diagnosed in the 70s either so I too am trying to find someone who diagnoses adults. Good luck with your journey.

Hi I'm DJ and live in Florida. I've never used a forum before, don't know if I'll get emails or I have to check back on this site for any replies. I was diagnosed with ASD a year ago quite late. I like positive, upbeat people, am super athletic, vegan, play a lot of sports, and go to the beach A LOT--love the outdoors and nature. I don't like to whine about my ASD or much else—life is a gift. Hope to hear from someone.

Hi I'm DJ and live in Florida. I've never used a forum before, don't know if I'll get emails or I have to check back on this site for any replies. I was diagnosed with ASD a year ago quite late. I like positive, upbeat people, am super athletic, vegan, play a lot of sports, and go to the beach A LOT--love the outdoors and nature. I don't like to whine about my ASD or much else—life is a gift. Hope to hear from someone.

Hi DJ, nice to meet you. I like your name; someone very special to me is also named Duncan. I think you will receive e-mails unless you shut that feature off in your settings/preferences. You will get a notice here too. It sounds like you are a busy guy with a full life. There are many great people here and varying interests and abilities. I hope you meet some people you can connect with.

Hi DJ, nice to meet you. I like your name; someone very special to me is also named Duncan. I think you will receive e-mails unless you shut that feature off in your settings/preferences. You will get a notice here too. It sounds like you are a busy guy with a full life. There are many great people here and varying interests and abilities. I hope you meet some people you can connect with.
Wow--so cool to get such a quick reply, especially while I do my boring taxes. I met a guy at my gym today from New Brunswick--a telephone lineman who's a temp snowbird. Nice to meet you and thanks so much for reaching out!

New Threads

Top Bottom