• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doing what we say, or not???

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
I'm in a huge internal battle on trying to improve some things I notice about myself, and I know others must notice about me also. First off is I think way, way, way too much.

I get things started and I something else catches my attention and off I go... and get hung up on something else. I know this is partially A.D.D. overlapping into ASD but it is what it is.

So I was thinking on trying an experiment we can all play in...

I want to make a post where we place our goals, or tasks, or our chores for the day on here. At the end of the day we go back and say how much we did, or didn't do and figure out why we didn't get it done...

I'm the kind of guy, when I am held accountable I feel more like getting stuff done, otherwise I will admittedly be honest and tell you I can seem lazy, because I THINK on stuff all day long... Only to end my day basically upset with myself for my wasting a great day... That I never intended on wasting.

Does anyone think this would help?

Anyone want to make this more like a head game where we try and get out of our head and into real life stuff we need to be doing?

Tell me what you think, or don't think? : )

Oh and to help make your day... I present you my shirt for the day

IMG_0331.jpg

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I get distracted easily aswell. Unless of course its something I am super into then I won't stop til I have to.

I'm a terrible procrastinator. I get distracted easily aswell. Unless of course its something I am super into then I won't stop til I have to.

But do you feel really good when you finally get something done, or you actually somehow jump past that mental road block and just tackle something? I do... Its just getting past that barrier, or not letting something else run my head off in a ditch somewhere and totally forget it.

But do you feel really good when you finally get something done, or you actually somehow jump past that mental road block and just tackle something? I do... Its just getting past that barrier, or not letting something else run my head off in a ditch somewhere and totally forget it.
Oh yeah, when I achieve something I've set out to do I feel like I've won the lottery lol.

Like the idea. I use a habit app and lots of reminders. Tick in the box when its done.

Love the T shirt. Reminds me of an episode of the simpsons. Homer was in class and noticed some squirrels out the window. Next second he's out there running around with the squirrels...

My goal for today: GET A SHIRT JUST LIKE THAT!!!

I do way better gettings tasks done if I make a list. Crossing things (even little things) off the list gives me such a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

I've been wallowing in self-pity a lot lately, but I guess my goal for today is to make a list for myself for the next little while.

I have to say that shirt is awesome!

This might sound cheesy, but I try to say at least three positive things about myself a day, or find three things I like about myself or that I'm proud of.

Although those might all sound the same, to me they are all in different categories.

Doing that really helps set my mood for the day as well, some days it's harder than others though, because it's hard to think of more than just a few.

This totally fits with things I am trying to improve. I've been fighting this all my life.

I think I want to do something, but really, I just want to learn how. So, once I have the knowledge, I completely lose interest in finishing the project. So now I know enormous amounts of things, but I never actually accomplish anything.

Seriously, I wrote about this in my journal yesterday.

@Chance

"I want to make a post where we place our goals, or tasks, or our chores for the day on here. At the end of the day we go back and say how much we did, or didn't do and figure out why we didn't get it done..."

Similar to this?
what did you do/going to do today?

I went and looked at the old thread... Not what I have in mind really

More of a "working" daily to do list:
(example only)
Take out the trash
Get the stain out of the carpet
Give dog a bath
Put flea and tick stuff on dog
wash all the clothes
Get forms ready for tax advisor
Get business receipts to Office Manager
Blah blah blah

Then we come back and DELETE (by edit) and or comment what we really got did on that list. Sure people can lie, but that would be stupid and fruitless... It would be just for those of us who need a push and just KNOWING we put it out there sometimes helps (or it does with me) But I'm not real good at enforcing or holding me accountable... So is the reasoning for my madness it seems. : )

My goal for today: GET A SHIRT JUST LIKE THAT!!!

Before I went AD free on this site... There was a commercial called "Funny Tees" Thats where I got it.
So see the ads do work sometimes... : )

Before I went AD free on this site... There was a commercial called "Funny Tees" Thats where I got it.
So see the ads do work sometimes... : )

OK, my new goal is to go AD FREE on AC!! I am serious, but I don't have the money so I can't right now. Too many other things pressing in, ummm, like food.

Like the idea. I use a habit app and lots of reminders. Tick in the box when its done.

Love the T shirt. Reminds me of an episode of the simpsons. Homer was in class and noticed some squirrels out the window. Next second he's out there running around with the squirrels...

Habit App... I'm gonna look that up. Good idea... See this is why I'm doing this... Just trying to pickup on stuff I don't know about that helps others... : )

@Chance

Your concept focuses on accountability.

The older thread was more a "hey, this is
what my day is looking like"/"well, here's
what I did" kind of thing.

Habit App... I'm gonna look that up. Good idea... See this is why I'm doing this... Just trying to pickup on stuff I don't know about that helps others... : )

Its on android called 'habits'

What i like about it is its quite simple.

So you input what you need to do, and list when you need a reminder.

When you've done it - put a tick in the box.

You can view it over time so it keeps track.

I use it for push ups,walking or a reminder to stop scratching my head, as well as a few other things.

Push ups 210 days, head scratching 3 days.

If you keep a record of the little things you can step away from the squirrels.
It sort of takes on a will of its own - you dont want to let it down kind of.
But i think it can help form positive habits.

Not sure if its exactly what you meant but i find it helpful.

This sounds like my wife and younger son.

As for my wife, she rarely gets things done, either because of doing something else, or as it is not too important for her and without any urgent need. She will see urgency only for things she hyperfocus on. She has ideas, may want other tasks completed, and often she starts sentences, but never finishes most of them.

So, she creates lists, and crosses them off when finished. She needs to see things in writing to process properly and remember what she is supposed to do or wants to do. She has problems prioritizing, and finishing things otherwise.

I know that may be common for those with certain neurological issues, and for those with sensory issues, stress intolerances, or physical sensitivities, etc. I mean their mind and body often has to either find ways to relax and avoid those stressors, or it has difficulty with certain things that involve precise timing, patience, order or detail.

This might sound cheesy, but I try to say at least three positive things about myself a day, or find three things I like about myself or that I'm proud of.

Although those might all sound the same, to me they are all in different categories.

Doing that really helps set my mood for the day as well, some days it's harder than others though, because it's hard to think of more than just a few.

Not cheesy at all... now just go to believing what you say to KNOWING what you say... your already way smarter than you ever give yourself credit for... : )

I'm in a huge internal battle on trying to improve some things I notice about myself, and I know others must notice about me also. First off is I think way, way, way too much.

I get things started and I something else catches my attention and off I go... and get hung up on something else. I know this is partially A.D.D. overlapping into ASD but it is what it is.

So I was thinking on trying an experiment we can all play in...

I want to make a post where we place our goals, or tasks, or our chores for the day on here. At the end of the day we go back and say how much we did, or didn't do and figure out why we didn't get it done...

I'm the kind of guy, when I am held accountable I feel more like getting stuff done, otherwise I will admittedly be honest and tell you I can seem lazy, because I THINK on stuff all day long... Only to end my day basically upset with myself for my wasting a great day... That I never intended on wasting.

Does anyone think this would help?

Anyone want to make this more like a head game where we try and get out of our head and into real life stuff we need to be doing?

Tell me what you think, or don't think? : )

Oh and to help make your day... I present you my shirt for the day

View attachment 39210

THank you, Chance. You motivated me. I did not list a goal I had because then I would sweat about it. I have been wanting to make a new vid for my YT channel about my special interest. It's hard to do because it takes research and then all the foof stuff. Well, I did it :) I did it because "I Am In" . So for me, I will be reporting after the fact because if I list it, I will freak and feel like a failure and not do it. Maybe one day I will share my YT channel w AC. :)

Its on android called 'habits'

What i like about it is its quite simple.

So you input what you need to do, and list when you need a reminder.

When you've done it - put a tick in the box.

You can view it over time so it keeps track.

I use it for push ups,walking or a reminder to stop scratching my head, as well as a few other things.

Push ups 210 days, head scratching 3 days.

If you keep a record of the little things you can step away from the squirrels.
It sort of takes on a will of its own - you dont want to let it down kind of.
But i think it can help form positive habits.

Not sure if its exactly what you meant but i find it helpful.

Then we can juggle... I couldn't resist ... : )

For iPhone there are too many to choose from... I narrowed it down to a couple by reviews and they are customizable to fit individual person... most are just preprogrammed junk I don't mess with much...

I will check the 2 I found and see how they work ... now scratching head... : ) thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom