• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody know am inexpensive way to get checks?

grommet

I have spent a week worrying so much and forgetting to go out and get a money order to pay my rent. I have two more days before I get in trouble. I have reminders everywhere. It's making me crazy.

I am thinking about getting a small book of checks instead. It would make things so much easier for me. I would write the one check each month for the rent and then I wouldn't have to remember to go to the bank. I could have a moment at home when I remember to pay and write a check right at that moment then run it down to the manager's office.

I used a link at my bank's website though and it said it would be about $20 for one book of checks.

Does anyone know a more inexpensive way to get personal checks? I only need one a month.

If you can help, thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at the site. I got very confused and I went back to my bank's website. It will cost more but I was too confused to keep trying to figure it out. I am not even sure what I ordered and seemed to have paid for. I don't know what I am doing. I suck at this adult stuff.

I talked on the phone with my girlfriend a few minutes ago and she told me to just go ahead and do it. I hope it did it right. The company connected to my bank tried to get me to pay almost $13 more for what they call secure delivery. I was spending so much already I did not want to do that but now they have me scared that my checks won't arrive.

My girlfriend also told me to just run out of the house now and get my rent money order while I am remembering. Five days of this - me fighting to get this one very simple thing done. People ask me why I can't work. I can barely manage my own ordinary life. So smart and so dumb at the same time. Autism is weird.

Thank you for the help Nitro :)

I haven't written a check for two years or so. I pay all my bills on line with a ATM card and use the same card in stores. It is a lot easier than writing checks for everything. I use a ATM card instead of a credit card so there is no interest to pay and I do not owe anybody anything for every day purchases.

I haven't written a check for two years or so. I pay all my bills on line with a ATM card and use the same card in stores. It is a lot easier than writing checks for everything. I use a ATM card instead of a credit card so there is no interest to pay and I do not owe anybody anything for every day purchases.
I still have two crazy utilities that will only accept cash at their office or a check or money order as a payment.

My landlord will only accept a check for rent payment. It is my only bill I cannot to an electronic funds transfer with and every month it takes several days, if not a week, of stress to do it.

I am home now from the bank and I paid my rent at the landlord's office. The checks I am pretty sure I ordered should arrive before next month's rent so I can write it at home and bring it down. I did not want to spend the money but anything has to be better than this stress.

There is a lot of information in this link: http://ask.metafilter.com/17833/Can-I-make-my-own-cheques

Do know that your bank actually has to accept any cheque that you've written, as long as it has the required information on it, at least here in Canada, and as the legal and banking system is actually a later facsimile of the UK one, it's likely that the laws related to cheques are similar. Unfortunately, I've gotten to this too late, as it looks as if you've have already ordered cheques.

People I know print their own cheques, http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/printyourchecks.htm Some people have actually been quite annoyed while paying their taxes to the government and have written their cheques on toilet paper and underwear and these things are legal and have passed through the banking system.

Last edited:
grommet At least you qualify for a checking account. My credit is so poor that I cannot even get one because of stupid ChexSystems.

There is a lot of information in this link: http://ask.metafilter.com/17833/Can-I-make-my-own-cheques

Do know that your bank actually has to accept any cheque that you've written, as long as it has the required information on it, at least here in Canada, and as the legal and banking system is actually a later facsimile of the UK one, it's likely that the laws related to cheques are similar. Unfortunately, I've gotten to this too late, as it looks as if you've have already ordered cheques.

People I know print their own cheques, http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/printyourchecks.htm Some people have actually been quite annoyed while paying their taxes to the government and have written their cheques on toilet paper and underwear and these things are legal and have passed through the banking system.

I have already ordered checks that is true. It is also true here in the United States that you can make your own checks just as you said. My printer has not been working for a while so I could not print one and writing a check out I would be so worried about forgetting one number or character that I would be stressed. I did not want to (or have) spend the money on checks but my girlfriend is probably right that it was the right thing to do. I think anything is better than stress.

I can't believe how many simple things I get wrong or can't do and I am so smart. I will never forget that first bus ride I took a few years ago. It was to go to the dentist and I had a lot of painful and expensive work that was going to be done. The bus ride was worse. It took everything I had and I wouldn't wish it on any aspie.

I want so much to find a way to be more self reliant. Maybe I will dedicate the next year to only that. This year I did for the first time go to a store and not speak to any of the staff. I was myself. I only had the courage to do it once but I felt so much better.

Just now I was in my building's laundry room and there was a person in there very close to me. All I could think of was that he was going to talk to me. I'd rather be punched in the face. Probably not really, that would hurt but why do I have to be scared around people so much?

I can manage things that other people find so complicated or scary and I am fine but grocery shopping is so frightening it almost makes me sick.

Some of my work has traveled the world and people's safety has depended on it. I know it's perfect and I don't worry. Give me a stranger at the intersection talking to me before the light changes and I want to die.

I don't know if I like autism or not.

grommet At least you qualify for a checking account. My credit is so poor that I cannot even get one because of stupid ChexSystems.

Wanderer I do not know what ChexSystems is but I am sorry you have trouble. I cannot manage money but to make up for it I try to use it as little as possible and I think that has inadvertently helped my credit. Since I almost never know what I'm doing unless it is technical work, I try to do as little as possible in the regular world. I never know when they are going to get mad at me. My utility company once sent me a frightening red colored letter to tell me they were shutting off my power for lack of payment. I had forgotten to pay them for months. I spoke to a very nice man at the company, I told him I was autistic and I had the money and would have paid, I just didn't know. He let me pay and told me he would change my file so it didn't have a bad note on it. I am still so thankful for his help and it was years ago.

I haven't been able to reconcile yet how intelligent I am and the complex things I can understand and teach but how I can hardly manage to ride a bus, come to an appointment on time, remember the name of a person I meet or a hundred other things. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am such a dichotomy. There are formulas I cannot forget but I have so many times forgotten my own phone number and for most of my life I have not known how old I was, I would usually try and use math to figure it out. I think I am a nice person but I may be a freak.

If you only need them for rent, here is what I would do:

Does your bank account have on-line services? If yes, put your landlord's mailing address in the bill-pay section and tell it to pay him before your due date. If he doesn't accept EFTs, it will send him a paper check (and you won't have to buy any at all). This service is free on my checking account.

If your income is regular, you can tell them to do that every month until you tell them to stop. I pay all of my regular bills that way.

If you only need them for rent, here is what I would do:

Does your bank account have on-line services? If yes, put your landlord's mailing address in the bill-pay section and tell it to pay him before your due date. If he doesn't accept EFTs, it will send him a paper check (and you won't have to buy any at all). This service is free on my checking account.

If your income is regular, you can tell them to do that every month until you tell them to stop. I pay all of my regular bills that way.
This seems like a great idea. I wish I had known about this before I bought those checks today. When they come I will try to use them and I think they will work out but I like your idea very much. I hope I can check it out with my bank. I usually don't understand what they say when I am there. What a wonderful service though. I am glad you get to do that. :)

Someone mentioned this idea in another thread, but you can try overpaying your rent so that you have to do it less often, if you are able to do that too.

Someone mentioned this idea in another thread, but you can try overpaying your rent so that you have to do it less often, if you are able to do that too.

Thank you for helping. My landlord does not allow that. Yesterday I was thinking the same idea, to pay one month ahead just in case.

If you live in Canada and have a banking account with PC Financial they are free. The checking account is free and you get unlimited transaction with the ATM with their ATM and CIBC. Been using it for a decade and saved my self $1000 of banking fees since I opened my account.

Thank you Penguin, I am glad you have that kind of help with your bank. I am in the United States. I think I will have my problem solved by once a month using the checks I ordered.

Thank you for helping. My landlord does not allow that. Yesterday I was thinking the same idea, to pay one month ahead just in case.

Your landlord must not be mathematically inclined. It would otherwise make sense for him/her to take your money early and keep in the bank for interest longer.

New Threads

Top Bottom