• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think there is a higher meaning behind your being autistic?

AprilR

I sometimes wonder about that. I think, if i did not have the social difficulties and the hard life experiences that come with autism, i would be a lot more vain person devoid of empathy for others' suffering.

I think that i have above average intelligence, and my experiences in life differ a lot from other people. I think that if i was a person with a high intelligence who also had high social intelligence, my life would somehow be empty. I would not have a good character, i would be a vain and thoughtless person.

So i believe me being autistic, and the suffering and hardships that come with it actually made me more empathetic, and have a good conscience. A person has to have both shortcomings and good sides, because no one is perfect.

I don't consider myself a religious person, the main religion where i live is Islam but i don't know much about it. But from what i researched, my experience and thoughts align with Islam's take on disabled people.

Just my scattered thoughts anyway.

For anyone interested in this topic, do you assign a higher meaning behind your autism?

Or, do you think your autism influence your religious beliefs, or lack thereof?

In short, no. I don't assign mystical meaning to life. But having said that, yes, the way my brain works has shaped everything about me, and that has not been entirely bad.

Life is so full of random twists and turns, that it's impossible for me to imagine the counterfactual, what would have happened had my brain functioned in a different way.

But I think I understand your thoughts.

Yes. I became a Christian four years ago after 20+ years of being a hardcore atheist.
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?”

For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. For the body does not consist of one member but of many.

Being a Christian has been the hardest thing I've endured. Christianity does not promise riches, happiness, whatever - quite the opposite. Christianity promises discipline:

Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?

“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

Over the years, my identity and idols have been stripped away one by one - my love of money, my pride, my self-importance. The recent autism diagnosis is having me strip away alcohol as well as the false belief that I am a smart/put-together person.

I'm being "disciplined" now. I quit drinking and it's awful. I'm near autistic burnout. I am sucking at my day job especially without the aid of alcohol. I have no idea what the future holds. But, I am approaching my anxiety in a much healthier way and a much better understanding than the self-destructive ways I had been approaching it all my life. And I have done great things in the past because of autism, I can do them again and this time in a far more authentic way thanks to God.

Not trying to preach to anyone - this is just what I believe.

I sometimes wonder about that. I think, if i did not have the social difficulties and the hard life experiences that come with autism, i would be a lot more vain person devoid of empathy for others' suffering.
I wondered that also. I have Aspergers. It was said to me that this comes with a "lack of empathy" or an "empathy problem" but I feel the complete opposite way. I just empathize differently. It doesn't have to make sense to me or them, it is just the difference, my neurodivergence. This difference is observed by both sides. You can call it vain or something similar but everytime I called people without Autism something like that they told it back to me. People just want to call me a narcissist when I finally express my suffering and I can't be alone with this... The only consistent explanation is that they do actually observe my behavior as narcissism/lack of empathy and I do the same with them. It can't be helped because it is part of the very being that I am and they are. It's just mutual misinterpretation. Also, please, don't presuppose you would be a bad person then because that person would not be you. It would be somebody who not only goes through a different life but has a different neurology.
I think that i have above average intelligence, and my experiences in life differ a lot from other people. I think that if i was a person with a high intelligence who also had high social intelligence, my life would somehow be empty. I would not have a good character, i would be a vain and thoughtless person.
People do think. They might not understand other people's thoughts but good people will try. You might see the hypothetical completely neurotypical version of yourself as malicious and cunning or something similar. In this case it is not a lack of empathy, it is trying to imagine the unimaginable. We can't think with a brain we don't have. They think they are the default, I think I am the default. That's just how it works unconsciously, it's inescapable. I don't mean to be mean or harsh here. This is just my perspective. (Big step up from my internal conflict post, huh...)
So i believe me being autistic, and the suffering and hardships that come with it actually made me more empathetic, and have a good conscience. A person has to have both shortcomings and good sides, because no one is perfect.
I do agree.
I do feel as if I understand what you meant by them.
For anyone interested in this topic, do you assign a higher meaning behind your autism?
Just like with life, I personally don't assign any higher meaning to either. I find it unnecessary. But that is just my opinion. Now, if we are talking about a concrete higher cause to push...
I do think people with high functioning (or whichever the correct term is) Autism tend to have more radical ideas (no matter the leaning but more likely some form of Progressive) due to, again, their exceptional empathy and systematizing thinking plus the social ostracization and sometimes even abuse they face. This is fertile ground to convince themselves of positions seen as uncomfortably extreme by the general populace. My case is no different. I am very much an Atheist, for example.
Edit: I know this last one might seem weird but please read it carefully if you wish to state otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't prescribe to any religion. I have been to various Christian churches for various reasons, and always felt uncomfortable being in a room with a bunch of people, especially when the group is doing whatever it is they are doing in terms of religious rituals. I am quite uncomfortable with "hive mind" or "group think". I don't understand it. My brain fights it.

Having said that, my general philosophy is "to each, their own" and I don't try to have discussions relating to topics in which I know very little about. In this case, I am content with saying "I don't know". I don't judge people in this regard, as long as I am not being judged. From what little I understand, it's only God who can judge, not humans.

Having said that, I have the upmost respect for nature, the plants, animals, the weather, our tiny, insignificant planet within the vastness of the multi-verses. If there is any "higher meaning" in terms of my role within it all, it's a pretty insignificant. I am philosophical and spiritual in this regard. Respect.

I think a lot about these topics, maybe because i don't feel accepted by anyone, not even my parents. To accept myself , i have to have faith.
It is just how my life and experiences shaped me.

I think it can make you more empathetic/understanding of other peoples problems and disabilities, and in an ethical sense be an improvement. It may not get you further in life, but will help you feel better about your own actions. But it is also subjective, and I believe some have no reaction or even an opposite reaction making them bitter and resentful towards others.

I think thats how you mean 'higher meaning' and it's fine but I am suspicious of that term elsewhere in autistic literature. There are regular attempts to translate autism into something supernatural. I don't study them so don't know much about them but these are some examples of the what you can find:

"If you are autistic, you have spiritual gifts. You are spiritually advanced. That is why you appear to be autistic."

"People with ASD are a bridge between these two worlds, unique and loving beings here to spread love. Additionally, they are attached to a separate dimension..."

Fun to fantasize about I guess... 'oh, maybe I do have super powers???' but then please buy these books, support our channel, buy these magic beans....

The religious aspect, I really do not like to talk about. I do follow a religion, and try and respect people who follow other religion, or none. And conversations almost always turn disrespectful. I don't think autism has anything to do with religion per se, but it might come into play in life lessons. In my religion one thought I have is it might be compared to 'the thorn in one's side' which sucks in a practical sense but can strengthen you characterwise.

I don't consider myself a religious person, the main religion where i live is Islam but i don't know much about it. But from what i researched, my experience and thoughts align with Islam's take on disabled people.

I really haven't considered it entirely, but that would be a good way to view it.

Truthfully. Before I had a clear understanding of what I might have. I use to, and still do, believe that I am a spirit of another realm. Sent here for a reason I am no longer prethe to. That I have a reason to be here. But because of my unique spirit, I was just a being without a true home.

Some days, this body and earth feel like prisons.

However, I do feel your take does hold value and honestly makes sense. Being on the spectrum is like having a overpowered character, that has a debuff that can vastly affect how they handle things in specific situations.

We all be them aliens in a world not built for us. And, to be honest, that is fine. We are not built to live the way NTs do anyway.

It's hard to say if my autism has influenced my religious beliefs - it has influenced almost every other part of my life, so would be strange if not the religion too - I think I might ask more questions and be less inclined to walk in the same direction as the people around me because of being autistic (I grew up in a religious environment).

I wouldn't try to outguess the actions of The Lord, but to me it's just like why I have the eye/skin/hair color I do, or why I was born with or got any other condition.

If there was a pill to make me NT, then I don't think I would take it, I don't want to be anyone else than who I am. I might accept a little more executive functioning thou :)

I think a lot about these topics, maybe because i don't feel accepted by anyone, not even my parents. To accept myself , i have to have faith.
It is just how my life and experiences shaped me.

Nothing wrong with that.

I still have issues with trust, but I also have issues with trusting myself too. However, I am trying to change that second part. I need to trust myself and love myself in a world that is drowned in darkness.

In my own heart and mind, I KNOW there is a higher reason for our autism. That when we as eternal souls chose of our free will to reincarnate and return to this existence, we do so with a certain amount of "guidance" from those more advanced in the process.

That we return to this secondary and temporary plane of existence to enlighten ourselves on a level that cannot be achieved on our primary plane of existence. That we not only come here to learn and profit from both extremely positive and extremely negative experiences. And that we "script" who and what we will be on this secondary plane, to deliberately enhance this temporary state of mortality. As preposterous as it may sound from a mortal point of view, that in reality very little that happens here is in fact, random.

In essence, we likely gave ourselves autism which may or may not be central to our reincarnation. No differently than other souls who delight in choosing arduous existences all for the purpose of enlightening who and what we are as eternal beings. Where despite all the struggles and heartbreaks we incur while we are here to learn, that we take none of the pain and sorrow of this existence back with us to where we normally belong. When I see or hear of someone with much greater struggles than ourselves, I just smile and admire them as probably more evolved souls than myself. Very cool.

It explains to me why "bad things can happen to good people". More importantly it explains why even the most horrendous things that happen on Earth become inconsequential when we return "home". That even the worst possible memory becomes a simple learning experience in the unending life of an immortal soul.

Though with the understanding that as long as we remain on this secondary plane of existence, we are deliberately unable to absolutely relate to being immortal for the obvious reason. That is usually explained well with the following analogy.

That this secondary existence we freely choose and craft before arriving here, is equivalent to attending a college course. Where for all the trials and tribulations in which we are to be "tested", we are never given the answers. Otherwise it would defeat the reason for being here. And that for each of us, this existence will in fact involve any number of hardships by design. Some minor, some horrendous beyond all mortal understanding.

That when we "go home", whatever is created on that slate is wiped clean when we return to our normal and eternal existence. Only to be memories accrued over several reincarnations we willingly take. That it's all about what we learn to enlighten our immortal souls. Struggles of good and evil, judgment and consequences are all products of this secondary plane of existence. Not found on our primary plane of existence.

Last edited:
I just thought about something... in the religions where there is a heaven, it is usually a place without suffering... if I go to heaven (sounds much better than hell), will I then do it as non-autistic ? How can I be me if I wasn't autistic - so I assume I'll go to heaven as autistic, just without being hurt by others, no trauma in heaven - I can't wait :)

I just thought about something... in the religions where there is a heaven, it is usually a place without suffering... if I go to heaven (sounds much better than hell), will I then do it as non-autistic ? How can I be me if I wasn't autistic - so I assume I'll go to heaven as autistic, just without being hurt by others, no trauma in heaven - I can't wait :)
Autistic is who and what you are on your secondary plane. On your primary plane everyone is "perfect", but with varying perspective depending on how each individual soul evolves.

The ultimate question is who are you "on the other side". An eternal being of multiple, accrued reincarnations. Not just this one you are experiencing at the moment. The "sum" of who and what you really are is astronomically greater than you presently think. :cool:

Who knows I'm agnostic always have been had a stroke 4years ago lots of weird stuff has happened since got me watching some near-death experiences utube videos, many appear similar to what I experienced. Through many were more extensive appears I am meant to pass on some message without context.

Autistic is who and what you are on your secondary plane. On your primary plane everyone is "perfect", but with varying perspective depending on how each individual soul evolves.

The ultimate question is who are you "on the other side". An eternal being of multiple, accrued reincarnations. Not just this one you are experiencing at the moment. The "sum" of who and what you really are is astronomically greater than you presently think. :cool:
That is one way to look at it - I think it's different :)

The modern world just requires so much executive functioning. Taxes, corporate politics, identifications, benefits, insurances, appointments, finances, etc. And social activity circles are so much bigger and extend virtually. Did milder cases of autism even negatively impact people's lives back then? I don't feel a farm life or a frontier life is nearly that bad for autism as today's service economies.

Good question. In Christianity there isn't much about actual existance there, but it does mention once at least about how one will not feel the same, or look at things the same way. So I don't know.

What I hope for most is Chihuahuas. I very much want to reunite with all my old friends and have a big bunch of new ones that maybe didn't have owners during their earthly existance.

And once a year we will make our Great Trek, and travel accross the countryside for a month or so seeing the scenery and visiting other Chihuahua herders. :D

many chihuahuas.jpg

I think there's a higher meaning to pretty much everything, but maybe there wouldn't be if people didn't have a tendency to assign such low meaning to things in the first place.

What I hope for most is Chihuahuas. I very much want to reunite with all my old friends and have a big bunch of new ones that maybe didn't have owners during their earthly existance.
That's a terribly important consideration regarding my own cosmic assessment of our true existence.

And that ever so often I find the assurance that in fact our "little friends" not only hang around this plane of existence in loyalty and love for us, but will be waiting for us when we eventually "come home". And that if so many of our reincarnations reflect us as the animal-lovers we are, that there could be an amazing number of them waiting us when we finally return home. :)

That's a terribly important consideration regarding my own cosmic assessment of our true existence.

And that ever so often I find the assurance that in fact our "little friends" not only hang around this plane of existence in loyalty and love for us, but will be waiting for us when we eventually "come home". And that if so many of our reincarnations reflect us as the animal-lovers we are, that there could be an amazing number of them waiting us when we finally return home. :)

I hope and wish this is true too. My cat was one of my biggest source of support during the hardest periods of my life. I am so thankful to him, he gave me so much love.

New Threads

Top Bottom