1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Do you think in pictures?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Loomis, Jul 16, 2012.

1. I think in Words!

17 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. I think in Pictures!

69 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. I have no idea what you mean! (This means you should post a reply to the thread)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. jkwon

jkwon Active Member V.I.P Member

I believe that everyone thinks in pictures. I don't know anyone who doesn't think in pictures.
    I believe that people with high functioning autism tend to think in pictures more since they have more active minds.
    I think in pictures more because I have more room. I'm not good with social situations and public speaking. Speaking loudly, speaking in variable tones, make non-creepy eye-contact. Instead, I use the space for more thinking and visualization of the topic at-discussion.

2. bbc-bananasplit

bbc-bananasplit Well-Known Member

You are probably right. Yet, there are some people, who are unable to think in images or to visualize anything in their minds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John M

John M Well-Known Member

I have found as I get older that my internal dialog sometime alternates between words and simply an awareness of a concept. Its a little hard to describe, however, lets say you're about ready to be involved in a head on crash. Is your brain going to parse out what you need to do in words (turn left, straighten then accelerate) or are you just going to know what to do? Which is faster? Images and word have their place but so does intuition.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vindicator Phoenix

Vindicator Phoenix Female or neutral pronouns V.I.P Member

That doesn't apply to everyone, actually. Many of us are a lot of both!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pistachio

Pistachio Active Member

When I read a book yes I see images in my mind, not like a movie though. The description of seeing kids blocks with numbers on them when doing math, no I don't, usually I just think of the numbers. I guess it's a combination of words/images. When I'm dreaming, I see scenes/images but it freaks me out when I kind of dream like it's a movie. And I've heard that some people dream in color...I don't, it's always been black and white or what you'd see if your room was somewhat darkened, or like b/w tvs.

6. GeminiSagittarius

GeminiSagittarius Member

Always!
    I always thought everyone does when I was younger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

yes I’ve realised I do

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think in pictures, even while sleeping. I thought everyone did this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alteah

Alteah New Member

I think mostly in words and with an awareness of various concepts and how they articulate themselves. It's hard to explain. But I rarely visualise what I think about and when I do it's always blurry. I'm also incapable of visualising anything in more than 2D, if that makes sense. For example, if I have to think about my room, I can only have images of part of it. Like a photograph. But I can't visualise the whole room, which I know many people can.
    I also can't make up a realistic human face in my mind. When I read, I don't visualise the scenes, so detailled visual description of places are almost meaningless to me. I only enjoy visual descriptions of characters or objects, individual things in general.

• Like Like x 1