• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think in pictures?

Do you think in pictures or words?

• I think in Words!

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • I think in Pictures!

Votes: 142 70.3%
  • I have no idea what you mean! (This means you should post a reply to the thread)

Votes: 23 11.4%

• Total voters
Re: Do you think in pictures or words?

Words fascinate me as something to collect in the same manner that many Aspies collect action figures or comic books & learn everything they can about them. I found words fascinating in that same way as a kid & began adding to my collection by reading dictionaries. That grew into an interest in etymology. Words have texture, scent & colour for me. Some words seem to slip about in a slimy way in my mouth whereas others clatter about like a coin being shaken in a tin can. I used to agonize over which word was the best one to use in a given context & this was made worse by a string of very strict French teachers who insisted that there is no such thing as a true synonym because each word has its own nuance. We had to use 'le mot juste'! As a precision-driven Aspie, this teaching made me almost paranoid that I was using the wrong words like a master carpenter's apprentice agonizes over perhaps using the wrong tool. The finished cabinet may look good to most people, but true masters would be able to see the slip-shod finishing.

Words have a presence in their own right before we know what they mean or can connect them to what they symbolize BUT word knowledge has its limits. Think of seeing an unfamiliar metal part used in some obscure aspect of industrial factory machinery design. You may see a picture of it in a magazine with a word under it BUT you'd STILL have no real context or meaning for what the item truly is! Being able to say, "Why, that thing is a _______." is meaningless even if you can draw one perfectly- until you know what the item's purpose is & how to use it .

Think now of a person who knows what an item is meaning how to use it correctly & what purpose it serves. He may refer to it as a 'watchamacallit' or in French slang 'une patente' . He has never seen a written word for it. <----THIS person, who lacks vocabulary for the item in fact has superior knowledge of the item despite his inability to communicate about it using a correct term.

I recall a parent bringing his 5yr old in for registration. He was convinced his son was brilliant because he knew so many things. He'd been taught to repeat many grown-up sounding phrases & speeches like an old-fashioned tape recorder on play-back. Among them was, strangely for a Quebecois kid, the USA Pledge of Allegiance. So, boy genius began reciting, to his dad's obvious pride. Not wanting to embarrass the child BUT to provide Dad with a badly needed reality check, I said "That was very good reciting, Sylvain!" (NOT his name) "Could you please help me understand more about what you just recited? What does 'I pledge allegiance to the flag' mean?" He looked nervously at his red-faced father & then back at me. He explained that when the flag gets dirty, you use a 'legiance' of Pledge to clean it. A legiance was, apparently, a type of CAN that Pledge comes in. I thanked him for his erudite explanation but, as the kids met & greeted each other, I spoke to Dad about all that empty meaningless recitation without any comprehension or practical knowledge.

Words are just tools whereas imagery + comprehension forms the greater measure of understanding. Even conceptual words that have no physical image like 'allegiance' must be tangibly understood. I learned not to dismiss those who were not handy with words as being unintelligent or be dazzled by articulate people who may not be so smart after all.

Last edited:
"NTs rely heavily on intuition to accomplish creative/imaginative expression".

You still have not answered this in regards to creativity-you seemed to go back to social interaction-please keep it simple- no tangents please just answer the question

I would like someone who does NOT think in pictures to try and describe what goes on in their mind when someone says apple or polar bear. Deno asked this question but I am not clear on the answers given to Deno's question. If someone says any noun like truck, cement driveway, apple etc. I immediately see an image of it in my mind. If someone says law I see a law book if someone says grace I see a heavenly light streaming down, if I think of a verb like open I see a soda pop can being popped open. Reside = a house, contemplate = a man thinking, perpetuate = someone turning a crank etc. If someone is not a visual thinker what do they see? Words?

Don't know what else I would think in.. I wonder what a blind since birth person thinks in.

I have been considered to be legally blind since I was born. I think in pictures. But i have some sight. As a visually impaired person we do often picture things in our minds of what something might look like. It may not actually look that way but we picture what we think it looks like from our other senses.

@ Rolo: Let me try again...

Many famous artists from the past have been retroactively declared, much more likely than not, to have been Aspies. Of those artists, the one that I'll use to clarify what I meant re creativity is Leonardo Da Vinci since most members here are probably familiar with him & his work. His life was well documented in exquisite detail (by himself as well as by others) so much is known about him & his artistic processes. He relied very precisely on mathematical calculations in composing his works. Facial features, while unique to each work, were not drawn as inspiration led him but according to calculations he made. Intuition did not guide him. He observed light & shadow fanatically repeatedly drawing the way the light fell onto draped cloth. The same type of process was used by Michelangelo, another suspected Aspie whose notebooks were filled to overflowing with technological inventions centuries ahead of their time: when he sketched, it was far, more often than not, with a purpose in mind such as replicating the features of unusual faces with great accuracy. Both sought to produce great works by seeing patterns & calculations nobody else did.

Artist Renoir was a NT. He was unconcerned with precision but wanted to capture the impression of what he saw in the moment. Many other NT artists painted from pure intuitive interest. Some threw paint wildly all over the canvas, walked on it, glued stuff to it & did whatever their intuition led them to do in the moment. This type of art is usually engaged in by NTs. Spontaneity is valued & following impulses is common.

Geordie recently posted an article that included an example of art work done by an 11 yr old Autie Prodigy. While the work has an almost other-worldly beauty, you can see the pattern & replication in the work & the precise proportional relationships. This approach, combined with his skilled usage of the material made for both a creative & a harmonious painting.

THis isn't true of 100% of Aspies & NTs 100% of the time. It's like the thinking in words or in pictures poll: the vast majority of us think in pictures: some of us don't. I hope this make what I was saying about the different approaches clearer to you. If not, don't worry: I don't mind taking another shot at clarifying things.

I love throwing paint onto canvas and seeing where it takes me- but for me it is the use of color and texture that makes a painting come alive rather than painting a subject or subject matter-so in your opinion I would be more neurotypical-I do not believe that to be the case- I think many on the spectrum struggle with emotions and feeling and it is through art sculpture video, animation that we feel-one of my favorite artists is Gerhart Richter who in many of his abstracts uses light and layering as well as texture-he also uses large scale canvasses-he is one of few artists that I understand intuitively and it is through his work and other contemporary abstract artists that I am able to find joy and peace- I do believe Richter is exceptional and is possibly extremely measured in his approach-in that I mean nothing is done by chance-I however do throw paint around but this is due to the fact that I have not learnt technique so I experiment-if I like what I see it stays on the canvass. There are no maths calculus or patterns to my work thus far. I have found by emptying my mind and giving up control this has enabled to really explore-I feel the same when I write

Last edited:
That diversity within the spectrum is one of the fascinating curve-ball traits that breaks the so-called rules. In my case, it's this: Aspies typically begin talking late in childhood leading us to be labelled as 'slow'. We typically have messy handwriting. Well, I began speaking in sentences at 9 months & my handwriting looks like calligraphy. That's why I try to remember to say not every or all.

I have an interesting question does anyone else have a problem reading physical social cues because you do not trust if
the person is being honest or lying. I have known alot of people that could give one impression while meaning the complete opposite.
Seeming very happy while really being pissed off or nice and friendly while planning to stab you in the back.
Going with what I see or trusting my gut.
I only take them at face value when I really trust them.:bounce:

I have an interesting question does anyone else have a problem reading physical social cues because you do not trust if
the person is being honest or lying. I have known alot of people that could give one impression while meaning the complete opposite.
Seeming very happy while really being pissed off or nice and friendly while planning to stab you in the back.
Going with what I see or trusting my gut.
I only take them at face value when I really trust them.:bounce:

Absolutely, I do not trust people who hide what they are really feeling behind a false expression. I can deal with people who honestly express anger. The most hideous people I have met are the NTs who smile when you know it is fake and they are really seething with anger. It astounds me that people can lie like that; I want nothing to do with them.

The wonderful thing about us aspies at least for me is that I only express genuine emotions and if I say anything I absolutely mean it!
I am 100% blunt and to the point!:D

That diversity within the spectrum is one of the fascinating curve-ball traits that breaks the so-called rules. In my case, it's this: Aspies typically begin talking late in childhood leading us to be labelled as 'slow'. We typically have messy handwriting. Well, I began speaking in sentences at 9 months & my handwriting looks like calligraphy. That's why I try to remember to say not every or all.

Where did you see these so called rules?- I am curious as to what great book you have been gleaning all this insightful knowledge of Aspergers from-Is there an ASD rule book or are you in the process of writing it yourself? If I were to put all your posts back to back I am not quite sure what diagnosis I would come up with

I'm relying largely on what is published in the DSM-IV-TR that is the most internationally respected source for diagnostic criteria for so-called mental illnesses. I also refer frequently to this book too:
Autism and Asperger Syndrome: The Facts. Simon Baron Cohen <---He is one of the world's most recognized experts in the spectrum & all issues related to it. There are other sources as well & if you'd like them, I'll gladly forward them to you. I refer to legitimate (as in based on solid scientific research & not only personal anecdotes, although I read those too) for my information about the spectrum. I'm not in the process of writing a book about Asperger's but one day I'd like to collect anecdotes from very old Aspies to share what it was like for them growing up in a time where it was truly unheard of as well as to collect the stories of Aspies in tribal & remote cultures to see how they & their communities understand & treat (or don't) people on the spectrum AND if they even accept that there IS a spectrum upon which to be.

As for stringing all my posts together to come up with a diagnosis (for whom?) it would be a faulty methodology since posts are often in response to a specific question or comment someone else made & are often partially shaped by a pm the person sent me but other members are unaware of. As for diagnosing someone else, I'd never seriously even attempt to do it. I was misdiagnosed once by an emergency room doctor at a major Montreal hospital, went home that evening & the following day was rushed back to the hospital. I literally died (they brought me back) & it was several days on IV meds before they could even operate then it took a long time to recover.

I don't really know if I think in pictures or videos or words or what. I just...think how I think. However, the way I think is I believe fairly unique because the connections that I make between things make it extremely easy to learn new vocabulary and new languages. I think that perhaps thinking in pictures is a part of it. I never have to study for language tests because when I learn a new verb or new vocabulary, it's...there. When I think about the action of mowing the lawn I'm as likely to think "tondre la pelouse" as I am to think "mowing the lawn". So I don't think in words, exactly. But I think I think in words more than I think in pictures.

@Soup- the point I was trying to make is that you appear to be something to everyone-I will substitute diagnosis for character -in other words I can not make you out-perhaps I shall just stop trying-but I do like to get a feel of whom I am communicating with especially as I am open about my life and diagnosis-I would never openly diagnose someone else- although I must point out- you have on occasion made comments like you're obviously an aspie or you are definately an aspie-I shall endeavour to choose my words carefully in future.

As for getting a feel for me, I am a very difficult person to get to know. My children & my husband say that & my mother finds me 'baffling' (her word). I've been called Spock more times than I can count. It's not that the 'real me' is hiding somewhere inside hoping someone will find & free me: This IS how I am. My more extreme Asperger's traits include not being social at all, an obsession (I'd call it a passion) for writing & reading, almost non-existent emotions & I've said that in other posts. The 1st & last traits render it hard to get a feel for me as a person. Regarding appearing to 'be something to everyone', unless you've spoken to everyone & obtained their opinions, that is quite the generalization. Other Aspies here may not feel that way.

Remember, too that in written text, there is no vocal tone or inflection. One can capitalize to indicate emphasis or a louder vocal tone (such as shouting) or italicize for similar reasons. However, the reader, not the writer determines the way in which the reader interprets what he reads. Could it be possible that you may be reading a 'tone' or 'attitude' into my writing that I didn't place there?

As for the comments I've made in other posts (I took what you said seriously & did go back & re-read roughly 300 of the 583). Far more often than not, what I've said was 'that is definitely an Aspie trait' or encourage someone who believes with certainty that they are an Aspie to actively participate here & seek formal diagnosis when time or their finances permits.

In the process, I've read posts from virtually every other member here saying (sometimes to me, YOU are definitely an Aspie). At no time did another member show up to castigate the person over what he said. You seem to find it very objectionable when people speak in absolutes. I try not to do this but if I slip & do so, feel free to call me out on it: don't wait until 100 posts later to say something. I'd much rather be corrected immediately than walk around wrong or misinformed for days on end!

"...I shall endeavour to choose my words carefully in future." -Rolo

If doing this will make you feel better in some way for your own reasons, then do so. If you feel like you have to do so on my account, please reconsider. I've never angrily confronted another member seeking an argument, seeking to embarrass a person or cause them to feel self-conscious, put on the spot, excluded or just plain judged. I'm not a sensitive, vulnerable or self-effacing sort who will be upset by anything you or anyone else says & I'm not one to expose the vulnerabilities of others. So you never have to weigh & measure words with me.

I do picture things in my head as opposed to words, I just mean that if I picture letters in my head (for this example I'm counting letters as an object, like an apple), I still get the same kinds of thoughts and feelings about it as I would if I was thinking about an apple. Unfortunately I'm not awesome with words, I know this explanation is probably only serving to further confuse people haha!

Ah so you do think in pictures. The thing that I think may be confusing some people is what we mean by thinking in pictures or words. If you are able to picture something in your mind, like mountains, a cat, an apple or even abstract messy shapes, then you are a picture based thinker. If you are unable to do this you are a word based thinker. I would like to hear who it was that picked Word thinker explain how they think to the best of their ability if possible. I heard from one person in piticular who I spent quite some time around, but the more the merrier. Also, thinking in pictures is not an Autie specific thing. I think about 70-90% of the population thinks in pictures. The person I knew that thought in words did a type of a poll in a church, to see who thought in pictures or words, I think it was something like 7:1 respectively

Last edited:

Deno, I'll try to explain how I think in words. I usually have a stream of sentences running through my head describing what I see, hear, feel and all that. If not, it's a stream of concepts - I don't visual things as such, it's more a mental sensation that searches for the words to have itself explained. This is when it takes over words, but otherwise I frequently have collections of sounds, characters, grammar and meanings floating around in my interactions with the world. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deno, I'll try to explain how I think in words. I usually have a stream of sentences running through my head describing what I see, hear, feel and all that. If not, it's a stream of concepts - I don't visual things as such, it's more a mental sensation that searches for the words to have itself explained. This is when it takes over words, but otherwise I frequently have collections of sounds, characters, grammar and meanings floating around in my interactions with the world. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Very interesting. You would be much more gifted with writing because your constantly describing your reality with the use of words, not pictures. I am curious what changes in the wiring of the brain that causes this change. How often do you have random things (I suppose words) seem to pop in to your head?

I have phrases, words, ideas etc popping into my brain almost constantly, and often arbitrarily. I too would be curious to discover the difference in my psychological profile that have produced this way of thinking. I am often told that I can express myself very fluently with words.

New Threads

Top Bottom