• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you think I have Asperger's Syndrome?

Patrick James

Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed, but for now are these traits associated with Asperger's?
I fixate severely on things like music, sport and politics and go on and on about them often not knowing that the other person isn't happy with it. It feels like a compulsive urge to tell them about it.
I more often than not feel detached from loved ones and feel like my love towards them is fabricated. Not from the heart. I did wonder at one point if I was gay because of how I felt towards my partner. Sometimes I feel slightly detached from serious situations involving young ones but then over compensate for it.
I find it hard to concentrate and have to organise things properly or my mind will get muddled up and I'll get frustrated. Sometimes I get suddenly angry, frustrated and can be hateful towards someone but never hurt anyone, just minor.
I find it hard to consider how others are feeling. Often I would do something and not understand why someone is upset with me. Just can't comprehend it.
I feel intelligent and can really think well about things at my pace and one at a time, but can easily get messed up if I'm interrupted or overloaded and can appear quite dumb.
I always get told that I'm smarter than what I achieve. This was a major thing at school. I actually once had a special teacher cause she thought I was intelligent but wouldn't show it.
I have a really powerful imagination and I'm interested in writing books etc.
I always thought these things were Anxiety related as I once got diagnosed with that but it feels different.
These things happen more often than not every day of the year.
I have moments where I feel strong love, emotions and empathy towards people but then I detach for often than not.
Thanks for reading this long story. Just trying to find some closure.

The traits you have described certainly would apply to many people here I would suspect. However obviously no one else can diagnose you other than a psych who is familiar with autism.
A good guide is the Aspie Quiz which you can do online. I think there's a link on this site somewhere, but if you can't find it just google it.

IMG_1935.PNG

Well as it says you are very likely Aspie. If you want to get an official diagnosis you could take this result with you to see a psych. It isn't a definitive result but a good indicator. Just so you know there is no longer a diagnosis of Aspergers, it is now all considered Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I just looked over that Aspie Quiz. I don't like that type of test. It's only about datapoints and scalars and fails to grasp the nature of the individual.

I answer "I don't know" for every question that says "Do others think..." or "does x happen more for you or for others?". Because I don't know.

Then there are a lot of behaviours that might or might not resonate with my specific preferences, but my reasons for those preferences is not assessed. I may have decided on specific behaviours regardless of my (diagnosed) Aspergers that are contrary to the aspie-specific average. Likewise, a Neurotypical may construct or learn certain behaviours that are more innate to an AS.

It's impossible to quantify precicely because everything, from the things about ourselves we attempt to change or control to the opinions we hold, the things we find pleasant or unpleasant. The things we chase after and the things we shy away from. They're all personal. They're motivated and conscious, they're not innate. There are pleasure and pain networks attached to these subjects based on our experiences.

It's easy to tell if someone has OCD. Because OCD is about mannerisms. It's not always easy to tell if someone has autism. Because autism is about the inner experience being different.

I see you've already completed the Aspie Quiz which I was going to suggest, it's obviously not an official diagnosis and the test results can very occasionally be misleading, but as long as you answered the questions honestly you most probably are on the autistic spectrum and the traits you describe also makes this sound more likely. There are other respected tests online too such as the RAADS-R and AQ Test if you'd like further confirmation towards the likeliness of you being autistic, but unfortunately no online tests can give you an official diagnosis, meaning there will always be some doubt, so I'm afraid an official diagnosis is the only way to achieve true closure.

Please let us know what happens regarding your official diagnosis. I wish you the best.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom