• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Talk to Yourself?

Galaxy Freeze

Hey guys, just wanted to ask you a question, I don't know if this could be a common symptom of Asperger's/Autism, it seems like it would be.

Do you often talk to yourself? I do, I'm not afraid to admit it. So, who else does here? Don't be shy... To me, it's just thinking out loud.

Ohhh yah all the time. I usually am muttering methodical steps of whatever I'm doing to myself for example:

I often work service desk. So someone asks for a money order I actually talk myself through each step outloud. So like I say click the button, put in password, Key in amount, hit enter, go to computer and ring in total amount paid, go back to other computer and print money order.

So you are not alone!

Yeah, I do that... a lot.

Mostly it's mumbling what I'm going to do in which order, but sometimes I have extensive monologues with myself. And those sometimes even go on in other languages. For that reason I like going out at night. Sorting out thoughts and not getting weird looks cause I'm mumbling in english and ending up in maniacal laughter cause I thought of a silly joke of sorts.

Just having thoughts in my head doesn't work for me. I actually either need to write them out or just talk about it to even make sense. That's one of the reasons why I prefer to be alone actually... it's somehow no ones business what I'm thinking, but since I can't keep it in my own head... I just need that personal space a lot.

Mmmm, I don’t know that I talk to myself as such, but I have been known to have a conversation (read, rave at) the television when I used to have it on for company IE; background noise. Then, in the midst of arguing with the TV I will realize what I am doing and then berate myself for being an idiot.

Similarly I have been know to "tell off" inanimate objects for having a mind of their own? Hear me out, I am not a potential rubber room applicant (maybe), I just mean that if I put something down and it rolls away or gravity acts on it and it falls from its own weight, well, I have been known to express my displeasure in the form of a discussion into the merits of the objects stubbornness, wait I think I’ve said too much, now even I think I am weird ; ]

Well, I think this is weird so you-all are the first I've told, but when I am doing something (hanging the laundry, working in the garden, hiking, anything works) I have a running dialog in my head as though I were writing a how-to book or something. For some reasoning am obsessed with the proper sequence of events when performing actions, and always want to determine the best possible outcomes. I have done this all of my life. For instance, I couldn't simply play in the surf as a child, I had to mentally write a treatise on how to determine the best waves for optimum body surfing. Maybe I have Asperger's?

If I'm playing madden or axis and allies. But my brother does this a lot! And he is autistic like me. He's a little more severe but we're both mild

Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not alone either! Yeah, like what King_Oni said, I often have monologues with myself, and like what Bay said about writing a book or something.
I talk to myself about how I am going to animate or what's going to happen in my cartoon series. And like some of you, I agree that some people need to be able to say the information out loud as opposed to writing it down or something. I think it really does help me.

I usually talk to myself in the shower (haha) and in my computer room. Sometimes when I just can't sleep at night. I only do it when I'm alone though.

I do to :lol2:
as King_oni mostly ( when focusing) mumbling what I'm going to do in which order, but also to reprimand myself :arghh: and sometime i just think out loud.

LOL I'm 18, you'll all laugh at this. I won't mind though XD

Okay so when I play video games like Spyro, Harry potter or The Sims, I roll play. I talk to myself as if I'm playing with toys. Like roleplaying.

So when I play those games I usually go around like for example:

Someone trying to sell me an oh so famous witches and wizards card: Hey, Harry. Want to buy a famous witches and wizards card?
Me as harry potter: Let me count my Bertie Botts every flavoured beans. Oh yeah, sure.

Then I go on an adventure of my own.

Aspergers ftw <3 We have the best imaginations EVER.

And I'm proud of mine. I don't get bored that easy because of it <3

Well, I think this is weird so you-all are the first I've told, but when I am doing something (hanging the laundry, working in the garden, hiking, anything works) I have a running dialog in my head as though I were writing a how-to book or something. For some reasoning am obsessed with the proper sequence of events when performing actions, and always want to determine the best possible outcomes. I have done this all of my life. For instance, I couldn't simply play in the surf as a child, I had to mentally write a treatise on how to determine the best waves for optimum body surfing. Maybe I have Asperger's?

This sounds just like me, a constant dialogue running in my mind.

Plus, I like your writing, Bay: Very well-formed and interesting.

Oh the advantages of an aspie. I spend hours a day talking to myself as if I'm the character in a video game. I love my life on some occasions I guess.

it's funny, i thought that the question was about speaking out loud to myself.

but do i speak silently (in my head) to my self?
yes and no :D
Yes, i do speak in my head, but no, it's not realy to my self, it's much more like "trying to find the better translation" from non-verbal~visual thinking to verbal thinking: it's a way to be understand by other.
it's funny, because it's look like now: i'm already "thinking"(~translate) in english, not from french, but from "non-verbal thinking"

(Am I understandable?)

Yes, I understand you, and in a way I think we are saying the same thing.

@Becky: Haha, hey I do that too! I just forgot to mention it, I do that with my videogames too!

Sometimes I pretend that characters in videogames are my characters from my cartoon... It does make it more fun and less boring, I agree.

It's actually really weird, I didn’t think I talked to myself in the traditional sense but I was with my previous landlord a couple days ago, I was cleaning the flat I had vacated and he was touching up the paint on a few things, we were working separately together and I kept asking him if he was talking to me, he said no he was just talking to himself much like I do!
I asked him what he was talking about and he told me it is like I occasionally have a second personality spurring me on to do a better job with the task at hand... so there you go, I honestly didn’t know I was doing it (or maybe I am developing schizophrenia)

New Threads

Top Bottom