• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Talk to Yourself?

I'm glad to know that I am not alone! I also talk to myself a lot. Usually I am telling myself what I need to do next and how to do it. For instance, I just finished putting away the dishes from dinner. So I was telling myself each step out loud to make sure I got everything correct: "Take the plate into the kitchen." "Rinse it off." "Put it in the dishwasher." "Rinse out the cooking dish." "Put it in the dishwasher." "Put the lid in the dishwasher." "Clean the silverware." "Refill your water." "Okay, that's all."

I also reprimand myself out loud. I feel that this has more of an impact on my behavior than just telling myself internally that what I did was incorrect.

I've got conversations running constantly in my head. The only voice I "hear" is my own, but there are often other people "in there" that I'm "talking" to. Like earlier posters said, it's like I need to info-dump on a train of thought, and there are people who listen to me when they're in my head but wouldn't give a flip about it if I was actually having that conversation IRL.

It's funny because they say things back to me, but I get their statements as instant impressions, not as words in a statement/question. It's almost like I'm communicating to them in silent words in my head (word by word, in well-formed sentences), but they're communicating to me by telepathically transmitted thoughts that come as a complete impression (rather than a linear word-by-word). So that's what my verbal thinking looks like.

But then I also have layers of visual thinking, spatial thinking, kinesthetic thinking...where I have impressions of a picture or a position or movement of something, or the ambiance of a place/idea/thing. And they're not all necessarily about the same topic. I might be having a "conversation" with someone about the kinds of foods I like to eat, while having visual and spatial thoughts about how to perform a task at work, while having energetic thoughts about how I'm relating to my environment or how I should relate to a certain person or issue that has been troublesome to me. And my focus shifts from one layer to another and back. Any of those can go on automatic pilot while my focus is on a different layer.

I also sing to myself a lot :)

Now you must sing for us.

Microphone-on-stage.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom