• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you talk to animals?

For pet owners: Do you talk to your pet?

• Total voters
I talk to my 3 wolfdogs, 3 cats, 4 fish, 1 conure (bird), 1 crayfish and, 41 rabbits every day. The listen though they may not understand me, they understand the tone of my voice so, know if I am feeling off or not at least.

I also use echolalia with my wolfdogs, it is actually a significant part of communicating with them. A yawn while averting your eyes form them means that you are relaxed and trust them. A whine means you want them to come and see if you need them, a sharp yip tells them they have played too roughly and hurt you, an extended yip like sound means you want to play with them. A growl tells them that something you are touching is your and, they are not to touch it. A low howl tells them to come see something. A high pitched, repeated howl tells them to come defend you or, chase something with you, such as an intruder or, stray animal that needs to be chased out of the yard.

Echolalia is how I learned to communicate with them in a way they understand. I would mimic them and see how they reacted, I learned what each sound meant to them.

Glad I not the only one who does it and how can you remember your rabbits names lol I couldn't remember that many names cod I got short term memory loss because I had a brain injury

Glad I not the only one who does it and how can you remember your rabbits names lol I couldn't remember that many names cod I got short term memory loss because I had a brain injury

I don't name all of the rabbits, only my breeding males and females. I raise them for meat so, most of them do not need names. I maintain a spreadsheet that tells me when they were bread, when the females had babies and, how many babies they had. That way I know which combinations produce the best litters of babies.

My named rabbits are Cotton, Silver, Chinny, M&M, Icy, Red, Snowball, Artica and, Big Boy.

I use echolalia on my parrot, who, of course, uses echolalia on me. Its gotten to the stage where Billy (My parrot) is doing impersonations of my impersonations of him :babychick::sweatsmile:

I talk to my cat and play with her a lot. My favorite is to look at her and say, "Did You Do That?" In a high pitched, squeaky voice. She then pretends to be alarmed and runs away. It is so cute!

Yes, regularly. It has to do with how we as humans communicate I guess. Some of it isn't wasted. Dogs have recently been shown in a study to be able to learn many more words then previously thought. Over 500. And they recognize facial expressions (ie. smile vs frown). Animals don't use language per se, but most pets do use sounds to communicate to some degree and so there is something going back and forth, and even if not, its still a sign. Like a bird chirping happily is a sign of contentment, us babbling on probably means at least that much to the pet. When you get down to the small critters like fish and snakes its more challenging, but even then I think something can be passed between, possibily. I talk and make a vibrating sound with my finger to my aquatic frog, every day. He (or She) seems to enjoy the short communing, and will prolong it at times before making the motion for being fed.

Yep, always feel like I'm inconveniencing her though, I only ever get a look of mild disdain!

It's not only her I talk to either, everyone else who ever visits the wildlife park must think I'm a total freakshow! (Not sure how wrong they are...)

At least one of our dogs talk to me. Chihuahuas are pretty much one person dogs. We have five of them, but only two of them have their own person. The one that has decided that I am her person (they decide, not us) has fairly bad separation anxiety while I am away from home. When I come home, she gets very excited and jumps up on my chair. Then she makes a sound that is kind of a cross between a growl and howl. I think she is greeting me verbally. She is the only one who does that and she only does it when I come home.

Whenever I come home from college for a visit, I do this with my cat. It helps me sort of my problems. Sometimes when I'm bored though, I like to copy his meows. Like he will say " Meeeeow" and I will say the same thing back to him. We do this for about 10 minutes or so before my dad says to stop. My meows sound so much like my cat's that it confuses my dad and gives him a headache.

Yep, I talk and sing to my pets, wild animals, plants..

I'm a lot more expressive if I've been lonely for a while, so maybe it's down to what styles of communication actually please us and that our animals are sensitive to.. I know cats and dogs actually learn sounds to enable them to communicate with humans (I understand that dogs don't bark naturally).

Or maybe it's just nice to hear the sound of my own voice.

Ofcourse! I talk to all animals I have had a few encounters with. I like that they dont talk back, they communicate in much simpler ways than human words. I find interaction with people involves much analysis, animals allow me to just appreciate my time with them without complication :).

I also dont have to worry about them talking about me behind my back or telling my secrets to other people who I dont want to know!! I feel safe with them.

I talk to all animals, even humans...oddly only the humans make feel dehumanized.
Animals have a better developed sense of telepathy than most humans....when I say telepathy I mean it as a form of reading others minds or intentions through nonverbal communication. When people spend a great deal of time with animals they exercise and strengthen their telepathic abilities...again,to clarify, I use telepathy not as pure mind reading, but more as the decoding of nonverbal signals to glean the intentions of another being. For example...you can often easily tell when your pet is hungry or needs to go out to relieve themselves. Or, when you walk into a room and find your dog,for instance, crouched,facing the door, with it's head lowered and lips pulled back in a snarled manner....when this happens you know that Fido senses something that Fido don't like on the other side of the door.
Now, animals are better at this than we, as humans, tend to be. Cats and dogs often seek out their owners to calm them when the owners become stressed out. These are limited forms of telepathy, and the act of speaking with your animal friends allows for other nonverbal lines of communication to be opened up (tone of voice, speed of speech,etc.). This can be done without actually using words. I speak to many animals using a sort of pidgin squirrel tongue that consists of clicks and chirps.....I do not delude myself into thinking that I speak squirrel. I am sure my chirps are as gibberish to them, but it allows for the animal to hear my communication and they can then use their improved senses to ascertain my intentions or mood.....
Miscommunication often occurs, but I find that it tends to occur less often with animals than it does to me when communicating in the standard fashion with humans.

Oh hell yes. My cat is my best friend, she greets me when i get home from work all excited and follows me all over the house. She's a very affectionate cat. She's napping on my bed as i type this and i don't have the heart to remove her from it just so i can make the bed before work.

New Threads

Top Bottom