• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you still read hardcover or real books?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I cannot say how much even with deficit how much I enjoy a good book.
And I think using too much screens is bad for your eye sight and leads to eye strain
So I still love reading a real book.
Well now I went back to it.
Does anyone read real books anymore for leisure and enjoyment?
And to learn things?

I am not much of a reader. I prefer listening to audiobooks whilst in the bath or doing an activity such as colouring. You can't multitask while reading a book. And if I want to learn something then I just browse Google and YouTube.

But I'm not judging those who read books though. I'm just saying my experience.

I most definitely enjoy real books while I also have e books. I enjoy being able to go back if there is something I want to recheck. My latest is Fossiles du Maroc which has descriptions of formations and fauna. Expensive but worth every cent. My next purchase will be Killer Angels, about Gettysburg.

I could never and would never read a book on a screen. I love the feel of books, the front and back covers, turning the pages, underlining passages, flipping forward and backward, etc.

I used to read books when I was younger (until like late 30'ties), I guess life happened and my eyes got tired, maybe with my life getting under control and a pair of reading glasses I can take it up again, I like the paper media :)

@lovely_darlingprettybaby what kind of books are you reading?

Whenever I want to have a reference book, it has to be an actual book, not some on-line source (although I use these, as well). I get out the yellow highlighter marker, leave bookmarks, etc. I am this way with important scientific articles, as well. I will print them out so I can highlight and make notes.

The last technical article I read was by a couple of Trilobite paleontologists who made a strong case for sexual competition in a species of trilobite [400 million years ago] My attention to the details that I highlighted let me recognize that the American Museum of Natural History had misidentified a Trilobite on display when I was there last.

Whenever I want to have a reference book, it has to be an actual book, not some on-line source (although I use these, as well). I get out the yellow highlighter marker, leave bookmarks, etc. I am this way with important scientific articles, as well. I will print them out so I can highlight and make notes.
Well I’ll admit that when I do want to look up the definition of a word or something I want to know about, these days I’ll tend to look on-line instead of using a dictionary or encyclopedia. But I hope schools don’t stop teaching students how to use these sources of print.

Real books, yes. Hardcover, only if given as a gift. I won't pay the price difference between paperback and hardcover. That said, I prefer kindle with epaper screen (not a backlit or led screen), for the simple reasons I can carry hundreds of books at a time and get many free through Project Gutenberg.

I have been collecting and reading hardcover books since I was sixteen years old. As I write this I am staring at a double stack of hardcovers on top of the piano that numbers about fourteen titles. Some have been read, others await. I have an actual library of hundreds and hundreds of titles (albeit, almost all of them are still packed away in moving boxes from my last move), some signed by the authors and a few are now worth quite a bit more money than I paid for them. I am wondering what to do with them now? *rueful chuckle*

Yes.

I still have my textbooks from uni, plus the rule books for about 2-dozen TTRPGs.

Some classic science-fiction: Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, et al.

Lewis and Tolkein, of course.

Books helped me through some rough times -- sometimes, they were the only friends I had.

I haven't been reading a lot lately, but yeah, I also prefer books in general. I've tried to read e-books but just can't get into them. I'm currently reading about the Von Trapp Family singers whose lives were the subject of the movie the Sound of Music.

I like physical books for casual reading and e-books for studying (for ease of using search to find a given passage or to look for certain keywords).

New Threads

Top Bottom