• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you receive Benefits?

Divrom

V.I.P Member
I would like to apply for DLA, but am not sure it's worth it.

Does anyone else here (from the UK), receive it? Was the application process fairly straightforward?

My issue is that I don't know how much I need it. I manage to hold down a full-time job and my mobility is not a problem.

However, the reason I would like to receive it is because of the other things it would open up for me (e.g. discounts from The Open University). So, is it possible to apply for a ?0 amount, so that I effectively receive it with no monies passing hands?

Hope that makes some sense?

Even if you were awarded dla, at the sum of ?0.00 then you would still be receiving benefits in the form of discounted OU courses, so it would still be subsidised from the government....

I don't know how the rules work for aspergers/autism. I'd be interested to know how you get on though. Have you got a formal diagnosis?

Even if you were awarded dla, at the sum of ?0.00 then you would still be receiving benefits in the form of discounted OU courses, so it would still be subsidised from the government....?

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. However, I don't know if they actually give ?0 awards.

Yes, I have a formal diagnosis.

Well, with a formal diagnosis, then applying for dla would be easier. I don't know if the uk government classes aspergers as a disability qualifying for any help with this condition. It would be really helpful to know!

Ok, a quick google later and it looks like it depends how aspergers affects you personally. In other words, it's a really individual thing. Maybe citizens advice could help? They were good to me when I first started down the benefits route.

If you already have a diagnosis, are you on other benefits? wouldn't that qualify you for help with OU courses?

4 months ago I had an interview with Government Doctors who said I was "too disabled" to work, despite the fact that over the last 24 years since leaving school I've worked on a volunteer basis for nearly every Charity in Sheffield in various roles both Office based and practical.

They put me on ESA (Employment Support Allowance), I strongly disagree with their decision that I can't work, but it's too stressful to appeal.

I was formally diagnosed with AS in October 1999 at age of 23.

I haven't applied for DLA/PIP because I can (for instance) cook a meal and travel independently on public transport.

As for other benefits, I'm not eligible for anything means-tested because I own a property I'm not living in. Whether I'm eligible for contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance after my contract ends depends on my NI contributions between 06/04/14 and 05/04/16; I was only in employment for five months during that time.

I would like to apply for DLA, but am not sure it's worth it.

Does anyone else here (from the UK), receive it? Was the application process fairly straightforward?

Every few years they change the name of the benefit. Now it is Personal Independence Payment or PIP.

ATOS (Google them and you can find out what you would be up against) run the health assessment interviews.

The last two times I had either a carework manager or a care manager with me.

This year a new test was I had to close my eyes and then try to touch my nose.

You have to score around 13+ points to qualify (I think).

ATOS are the spawn of the Devil IMO.

They are also indirectly guilty of mass murder IMO, look at the statistics of people who clearly aren't, being deemed "fit to work" by these ATOS Clowns, and then they end up committing suicide!

Shocking innit?!

If you believe all you read.

Not one body is guilty of everything, particularly claims such as mass murder!

Their lack of insight into disabilities overall can and have lead to dreadful decisions and in some cases, people have taken their own lives, yes.

But to blame all such things on one body is just not right.

The government and its rules and policies share an equal blame, I would say.

Don't they normally based things like PIP off of the income you make? There's a good chance you don't be eligible based on what you make unless you lose your job.

Thought I'd leave this here:-

DWP 'tells disability benefits assessors to discriminate against people with mental health conditions'

I am truly disgusted by the Tory party & I am at a loss as to why we didn't have an election after Cameron quit. After all the shambles of their party being split for/against Brexit & all the BS used to persuade people... then they do this? I wonder if this was planned back before Ian Duncan Smith quit & is the reason he left the top job in the DWP. Either way it smells of eugenics.
:(

I live in the Netherlands, where I'm not eligible for any benefits because I'm able to work.

for the benefit of anyone who may come to read the old OPs post, you can get the mobility component of DLA/PIP not just for physical mobility problems, if you struggle with anxiety on the streets and lose your way- that would likely get you low rate mobility.
since a young adult ive gotten high rate mobility for my autism but i have very complex and challenging classic autism flavoured by mild intellectual disability,and since my physical disability arose 4 years ago [thanks police and clinical support staff] i have more evidence for HRM if needed but i dont think i would need it as there is still a severe mental impairment with severe behavioral difficulties criteria as far as i know.

Just thought I'd add some INFO for a situation that may occur after an ESA assessment.

If you fail the assessment you have 3 chances for reconsideration. The first is a mandatory one you can ask for before a month is up after the date of the decision.
You will find that they took you off the ESA benefit & will tell you that you have to apply for Universal Credit as possibly your local Job Centre is a Universal Credit one.
Don't apply for Universal Credit, make it clear that as you are going for the mandatory route you are applying for JSA - Job Seekers Allowance. This will not mess up your receipt of Housing Benefit, which is important.

This benefit option is important to remember & do inform whomever you speak to when applying for the JSA that you're in the process of going for the mandatory reconsideration. It'll hopefully get the adviser off your back for the time it takes.

Just thought I'd add this as it is quite useful if you get done over by the assessment.

15 months ago they put me on ESA, and I was literally like, WTF?! For the last nearly 25 years since I left school, I've been doing various forms of voluntary work, which the DWP knows all about, therefore, is it not obvious that I probably could work, part time, in some capacity?!

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. However, I don't know if they actually give ?0 awards.

Yes, I have a formal diagnosis.
i lost mine its now called pip .i am on spectrum high flying and have no kidneys so dialysis patiend three days aweek a atos worker took mine away after assessment .now got british legion and enableability fighting for me to try and get it back lost 650 pounds a month

I've been turned down for Universal Credit. Because of the Easter bank holidays, I'll have to wait until next Tuesday to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance over the phone and I'm told to ignore all instructions to apply online.

I've been turned down for Universal Credit. Because of the Easter bank holidays, I'll have to wait until next Tuesday to apply for Jobseeker's Allowance over the phone and I'm told to ignore all instructions to apply online.
i thought it had to be applied for online . my now ex girlfriend new all about this she worked in there i am told my esa may change sometimes to this aswell but not sure yet

That's what it said - apply over the phone and ignore any instructions to apply online. I'm not making this up.

New Threads

Top Bottom