• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you read?

I used to read compulsively but can't seem to do that anymore. Reading Stephen Kind books in between all the aspergers book I've just acquired!

I read rather compulsively. Well, maybe a bit more than 'rather.' Reading is my escape from the pressures of life.
My favourite book after the Bible is The Silmarrilion by J.J.R.Tolkien:)

When I was young I was the fastest reader in my class, and I liked to read children's books. Then in fourth grade I suddenly lost interest. I always blamed the teacher, the boring reading materials we had in school, and even the bookmobile people who wouldn't let me check out a book I wanted because I wasn't old enough. (When I told my mother she bought the book for me and I read it.) But now that I suspect I am on the spectrum, I am beginning to think I lost interest because the plots were becoming more involved and required a greater amount of empathy for the characters than I was able to have.

As an adult I do read a lot, but mostly non-fiction, self-help books, and newspapers. I like reading about all kinds of science. I almost never read fiction.

I LOVE reading, but right now it's hard for me to read since my family tends to be noisy and I can hear them from everywhere. We're moving soon, though, and the house we're probably moving into has two stories and the bedrooms are upstairs while everything else is downstairs, so I'm expecting it to be better for me there.
I'm also picky about what books I read. I find it annoying that most of the books I find at the library are about people saving their families in WWII or some other war, or saving some kingdom. I prefer books I can relate to, like Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery, Mandy by Julie Andrews Edwards, or Palace Beautiful by Sarah DeFord Williams. I tend to prefer older books (though PB is only a few years old so I consider it a rare gem).

I also LOVE to read. I prefer sci fi/fantasy overall. Have been reading a lot of Aspie books, as I am newly diagnosed. Loved 'Aspergirls' by Rudy Simone, just finished it. Reading 'Muse and Reverie' by Charles deLint right now. It is a collection of Urban Fantasy stories.

I spent all last evening reading about Norse mythology online and then went to bed and read some lectures on the symbology in Greek myths. It seems I'm on a mythology kick again :)

I read everything I can get my hands on, especially where it concerns areas of obsession like the space program, military aviation, etc. I also read a lot of military fiction (Tom Clancy and Dale Brown, especially.)

I love reading...I've just finished 1984 , actually...that was a weird book, but it made me think. Actually, I've made it a point to read a minimum of 20 books this year. Hopefully I can pull it off. :)

Hi Aillas
I love to read and try to read every day. I like books on a variety of topics especially supernatural. My favourite authors are J.K.Rowling, Stephen King, L.J. Smith, and Alyson Noel. What stories/books do you like to read?

I used to read a lot as a child. I learned how to read at 5 years old and "devoured" non-fiction books (mostly on History) though at that time I didn't understand so many things about them-- but I liked to read them nonetheless. Then my family got the great idea of paying me subscription in the local library (which let you borrow 3 books and 3 magazines -though i rather prefer books, magazines were for my mom- for 15 days) I found me reading all three books (always fiction- I learned to love the fantasy, horror, epic, sci-fi, historic genres)- some of them really long- in less that a week. Nowadays it is hard for me to pull such an achievement... heck I cannot finish one book in a year... I blame Internet.. I'm really and addict to online games and gaming in general.. and music... Though I read games (text games) and online articles that catch my fancy.. Which are mostly mythology, the Universe (though I suck at heavy physics and scientific stuff) and technology stuff...

I spent all last evening reading about Norse mythology online and then went to bed and read some lectures on the symbology in Greek myths. It seems I'm on a mythology kick again :)

I've been reading a lot of Norse mythology lately, too. (And watching the movie Thor, which isn't quite the same, but still fun.) It reminds me of my obsession with Egypt when I was a kid.

I used to read compulsively every night.

Now, after being in a depression for 3-years, I do not read at all anymore.

This is very sad as I love reading.

It just seems like I cannot begin to get my mind focused on reading at this point unfortunately.

I am very excited, my friend lent me the latest installation in Kim Harrison's series that I've been reading for about 4 years now. I think this is book 11 maybe. They're getting progressively worse, but I can't seem to stop myself. And I have Game of Thrones book 3 as well! So exciting!!

Three years ago a teacher wanted to lend me Lord of the Rings in English (I've read the entire trylogy plus The Hobbit in Spanish -my mothertongue-) but I declined politely, fearing that maybe I wouldn't be able to give it back... I mean, it's a responsiblity... and the teacher in question wasn't even close to be a friend, he just wanted to lend me the book because I talked about them extensively during the Final Exam of Language II (college subject) and it just happens that he was a fan of Tolkien's work.

I read books on strategy and management as far as I can these days.

I read not to impress others, but to really satisfy my curiosity in making firms work for people's good, better, all the time. :)

I love reading things I don't understand, that are above my head but not (of course) completely out of reach.

Currently reading "Der kleine hobbit", which obviously isn't very difficult material, but I don't understand German ? not more than about 15% of it, anyway.

I usually read books on human behavior of some kind, too, more for utility than enjoyment.

I am reading 'Economic Indicators'.

I really feel that having an understanding of what Economic Indicators indicate, and what they don't, give me a better understanding of the economy.

I just read the book How Bad Are Bananas: The Carbon Footprint of Everything. It's SOO cool! Also, the book Garbology was really good. I definitely recommend that to everyone, even people who don't care about environmental stuff. It was probably one of the best nonfiction books I've read in a while.

Also the novel House Rules is really good. I just finished it.

I just finished Aspergirls & I have VERY mixed feelings about it. Now, I'm reading a book about serial killers in early history which begins with Gilles De Rais back in the 1400s.

New Threads

Top Bottom