• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you make up words that seem more appropriate than the real words?

Used the word flossy to describe all symptoms when sickening for something.

Mostly a cold - feeling weak, limbs aching, that feeling if another were to touch an aching arm it would burst open or drop off.

Feeling flossy.

As a family we spent many weekends wandering up and down mountains in North Wales.
Between myself and my youngest we renamed many mountains; Gitolities and Tryffaticktus, being just two.

Tryffaticktus has a grade one scramble toward the summit which meant I waited with my dog on a plateau while the rest reached the summit and returned to us.

The more I think about this the more I’m remembering it was a bit of a game/amusing to invent different names for all of the places we’ve visited when the children were younger.

Oh yeah, all the time. My username here, for example, is a variant of "Oregon", a state in the US. When I first signed up here I was considering moving to Klamath County in the far southcentral part of Oregon. (I ultimately decided not to.) Also, oregano is an herb that is sometimes mistaken for marijuana, and lots of marijuana is grown in Oregon. For many years I used the word "pezar" in usernames on various sites, and that is derived from "paz", Spanish for "peace". (-ar is a common verb suffix in Spanish.)

I actually gained a reputation in grade school for making up cool new words for various things (slang), and using them to encrypt our notes in classes.

I also have used knowledge of roots to make up new words that make total sense from the dictionary point of view.

Kind of useless for me though unless the other person knows what I'm talking about, lol.

Often, I will make up words only to find out that it is the correct, if obscure, word already in use. One recent example of this is an exchange that I had with a devoted platygeist.

I don't know if this is really interesting, seeing as this is in another language. Still, yeah I do this. The finnish word for employer is "giver of work", but I generally talk about "buyer of work". Sounds better in finnish, and is just generally more true. I also tend to do onomatopoetic words, or pseudo-onomatopoetic words. Such as fighting (for example in video-game), is "tets tets".

Onomatopoeia - Wikipedia

Sometimes, I'll make up words that seem to sound better to me than the actual words for things. Often they are rhythmical in nature.

When I was a child I gave things in the home, their own names, that sounded better than the actual words, which at times I found hard to say.

So, for example burners on a stove became 'rounders,' pet rabbits became 'bounders.' Even siblings names were changed to become easier to say. People might think of them as nicknames.

Have you or did you create words that seem more appropriate to you? Or do you call things by other names?

Words???? I've almost made a mini personal dialect in my language with stuff I just come up with in a heartbeat or after some thought.I had also once tried to make up a new language using a mix of Dothraki and Middle Eastern sounding words. I still have those files and I had made up a pretty extensive list of verbs lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom