• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you look your age?

I am 40 but I look like I'm in my late teens. I've heard slow visual aging is common for aspies.

My theory - based on at least 3 minutes of idle thought- is that a lot of our judgement of age is based on wrinkles on people’s faces. But you get those wrinkles by smiling, frowning, and making other expressions.

And (I assume that) autistic people make those expressions less than other people. That would make them look younger than they actually are.

I'd say I look about 5 years older, given the gray circles under my eyes, but in a weird way I also am very "baby-faced" even with my beard. Pile on as much depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress as I've been through and it prematurely ages a person.

I'd say I look about 5 years older, given the gray circles under my eyes, but in a weird way I also am very "baby-faced" even with my beard. Pile on as much depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress as I've been through and it prematurely ages a person.
Oh yeah.
I'd say I look like I've aged more in the past seven years alone than my whole life.
I guess the inability to handle most stress can do that to a person.

I look younger than I am. I don't think I look that much younger because I know what I looked like in my 20s and I didn't have these eye bags, but people who have just met me think I'm younger.

I'm going to humble-brag now, yes it's disgusting of me. At least I got some attention.

This issue is I've had to distance myself from a really nice younger guy because he doesn't realise I'm older than him. I hate it. He's mid-20s and I am 40. I actually find him easy to talk to which is rare.

But I have had bad experiences when my age was revealed, by me, in the past and a sudden change to no interest from the younger men who had initiated interest. Fair enough. But it hurts and I don't feel like getting hurt again.

Men my age aren't interested. Yes dating in my own age group would be the solution, but... Tumbleweed.

I'm feeling fed up.

Anyone else have this problem?

I think it's fairly common for people with ASD to look younger than their age to others. This happens to me, also. I've never had a problem with only younger people being interested, though it has happened, and I ended up marrying someone younger. I normally preferred men who were older, and they also liked me more than men my age or younger. I think most of my peers found me to be boring (and I mostly found them to be boring, too), men who were older seemed more tolerant and interesting. Maybe you need to just nip it in the bud right when it starts - tell them point blank, "you know, I'm a good bit older than you..." Then the reaction happens right away - if anything is awkward, it will be for them.

I have always looked younger than my age, and can shed 10 years just by shaving. I do think I am showing some age, but do not have wrinkles, greying, or thinning hair.

Below is a photo taken two days ago. Notice that I have a HUGE head. I turn 63 next month. How old do I look?
F6652827-8B0A-4BDB-9486-7164692E1B03.jpeg

I think I look older than my age. I don't have wrinkles or grey hair but you can see the abuses of too little sleep, trauma and smoking on my face.
I actually don't mind. Only in the last 10 years do people take me seriously. My appearance lends a certain gravitas.
When I was younger I could not escape others opinions of me as a sexually attractive object. To them, I had no mind, no valid opinions and my every move was embued with neffarious motives.
I always loved the line from Who Framed Roger Rabbit "I am not bad. I was just drawn that way" ~ Jessica Rabbit.
Now, I am considered "wise", "accomplished", "smart".
Im finally treated as myself, not my body.

When I was 25 I decided to take the bus into town and had to ask the driver what the fare was as its always increasing and I hadn't been on the bus in ages. He asked if I meant adult or child fare (under 16). Being honest I said adult and he replied "you could have said child and I'd have believed you". When I hit 30 a co-worker couldn't believe my age, she asked other co-workers, my manager and even my mum when she came in shopping, as she thought everyone was pulling her leg. I've always heard it from people that I look younger than I am.

Still no response the mods as to why my thread was closed and moved here!

Over zealous tidying up by an obsessive.

This isn't Stack overflow where you can close a topic and mark it as already answered.

We are individuals, not topics.

No wonder people don't like this forum.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom