• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do You Hide Your Intelligence When You Meet "Normal" People?

I often get yelled at by people for using big or difficult words...

You should yell at those people for being dumb... and for having a phobia concerning dictionaries. Seriously - they're paper and ink (or pixels on a screen). They don't bite.

You should yell at those people for being dumb... and for having a phobia concerning dictionaries. Seriously - they're paper and ink (or pixels on a screen). They don't bite.
Well they don't necessarily raise their voice, but I've been specifically told not to use larger words. I even had someone, majoring in english/writing, not understand what I say sometimes. I think it's kind of funny actually.

Well they don't necessarily raise their voice, but I've been specifically told not to use larger words.

Just cuz' they don't raise their voice doesn't mean you can't raise yours. Let em have it.

I even had someone, majoring in english/writing, not understand what I say sometimes. I think it's kind of funny actually.

You say funny, and I say sad.

Only half kidding. For some reason, dumb people do tend to piss me off, which isn't really a logical reaction. It's not like it was a choice they made.

Only half kidding. For some reason, dumb people do tend to piss me off, which isn't really a logical reaction. It's not like it was a choice they made.
Haha it doesn't bug me that much. It is a little illogical but I suppose it'd get irritating being surrounded by people who obviously aren't at the same level of intellect as you are.

Haha it doesn't bug me that much. It is a little illogical but I suppose it'd get irritating being surrounded by people who obviously aren't at the same level of intellect as you are.

Yeah, it isn't really cool of me, but I just get frustrated with people who are being particularly dim. I have to stop and remind myself that they are doing it on purpose or with the intent to annoy me. Some are, though, and they suck.

Yeah, it isn't really cool of me, but I just get frustrated with people who are being particularly dim. I have to stop and remind myself that they are doing it on purpose or with the intent to annoy me. Some are, though, and they suck.
I guess you'll just have to figure who is actually dumb and who is not. And give hell to those being an asshat.

I'm sure most people don't go to school to major in "Dumb". Everyone can't be expected to be as smart as some others. Just when you might think you know everything, there is ALWAYS someone out there who is smarter.

I'm sure most people don't go to school to major in "Dumb". Everyone can't be expected to be as smart as some others. Just when you might think you know everything, there is ALWAYS someone out there who is smarter.

I know, and you're right. To my credit, I did point out that I was unreasonable/illogical about this and working on it.

Even you Judge (there's someone smarter).

image.jpg

I don't dumb it down but I'm practising getting less pissed off with people. I think I used to believe everyone thought like me but was holding it back for....some reason...?

I hide when I have to(just when working) and in my private life I take the license of acting as I please. But I don't say: I know it cause I have studied this this and this and I have this IQ... If I know an answer or know that sth is wrong I'll say it right.

This is a very interesting and good topic.
I try the same thing "dumbing down" if I'm surrounded by people.
So, I usually hang out with my colleagues since they all seems to have mild AS or OCD anyway.
It's much easier to talk to them because you can go nerdy alllllll the way but they won't even think of it as strange!
I learned not to "stick out" when I was in elementary/middle school.

Opinion: the most intelligent individuals will hide nothing because they respect people of all abilities and level of knowledge. They are able to lift people up not bring them down regardless of what they know, can do or able to understand.

When I see someone hammering a nail with a shoelace, I'll speak up and suggest a hammer, and they will hate me for it.

New Threads

Top Bottom