• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you have traditional food for New Years day?

Pats

V.I.P Member
I've been invited to a traditional dinner consisting of collard greens, black eyed peas, cabbage and hog jowls. That's the traditional dinner in the south - or, at least, this area. One brings wealth, one brings good health and so on. I'd rather be poor and sick. lol
Anyway, was curious if there were other traditional dinners.

Lots of pretty yucky foods for traditional new years day where I am. Pig's feet made into a gelatinous broth then gravy with pork meatballs. Cabbage soup, or coleslaw is usual. Meat paste (creton) sandwiches, pickled beef tongue, raw oysters (if I wanted to eat mucus).

The usual foods now are raw vegetables with dip and cheeses and tiny finger sized white rolls or pieces of baguette. Then there's fresh fruit with chocolate dip. Raclette with cheeses, and potatoes, pickled onions and gherkins, and vegetables and meat and poultry. There's also an odd looking new year's cake, that looks like a small dome with white icing and pink and blue decorations and a wish for the new year written on it.

I'm having pizza and salad and fruit.

A local tradition is to eat bacon and sausage pancakes for breakfast and mashed potatoes and runner beans ("stamppot") for dinner. The pancakes meant to be a hangover prevention, because traditionally one would go visit all the neighbours to drink to the new year. The potato and bean mash was meant to be a hangover cure. It was also the first day the barrel of salted beans from last year's harvest was allowed to be opened. I usually don't really adhere to local tradition though.

My parents normally invite me down for a supper of delicious glazed ham on this day. But unfortunately we had to postpone until tomorrow due all the snow that's made it unsafe for driving.:(

I don't ever recall having a traditional New Year's Eve meal, just whatever I eat... Although I might hit up my favourite old school truck stop for some lunch, brunch, maybe even an all day breakfast...

I'm not aware of any food traditions on New Year's round these parts. We've had a week of various Christmas foods and treats so it's good old fish, chips and mushy peas with copious sloshes on vinegar tonight :)

Not now, but growing up it was always a big Lasagna day! I remember one where my Mom, Aunt and Grandmother (all on the Italian side) each made their slightly different versions. I don't believe I ever experienced such dining bliss before or since. :):):)

We are going to have bourbon chicken for dinner. It is my favorite way to have chicken. We have this fairly often, so it is not anything traditional for new years.

Nah. Lots of traditional Christmas food but none for New Year's Eve. Well, unless you consider alcohol to be food, lol.

I'm up at my folks house and my Dad and I are going to make gluten-free pizza and salad. I've never made pizza dough, personally, but he has become an expert, apparently. But, in the past, for New Year's day, we would, usually, have a typical Jewish spread, of which, basically, consists of Bagels, lox, smoked cod, cream cheese, fresh vegetables, and homemade desserts of various sorts.

January 1 was my father's birthday, so our dinner was a celebration for him. We never had any food traditions for the new year, so without him, it's just another day. I think of him a lot on January 1. Maybe this is a different sort of celebration. I always miss my mother's cooking.

I don't have a New Year's tradition to speak of. I just sort of eat what I find appetizing. I've always enjoyed New Year's day because it means the end of the holiday season. Ironically, I celebrate more today because of the relief from the stress, boredom, expectations, and everything surrounding the holidays. To me it's like breathing a sigh of relief.

No traditional meals for me either.
Just like @Mattymatt, it is a glad it's all over relief day, so I did do a good meal with my house share
guy. We went to a high end Chinese restaurant for dinner. It was nice.

New Threads

Top Bottom