• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do aspies make good salespeople?

I hated sales! I could not stand the constant pressure to sell,sell,sell or get yelled at. I would gladly help customers but would often get in trouble
by being blatantly honest. If there was 2 stereos and the cheaper one was better in my experience I told them to buy that one.
On the plus side it was the first store I was allowed to open and close while I was only 16.:D

yea, I hated the pressure to sell, sell, sell too. It was the worst when I was trying to up-sell stuff on cars at Honda. It actually got to where I didn't even try anymore because I was so stressed out at that job all the time. Not only the pressure to sell but also the pressure to get the damn car out in less then 30 minutes when they wanted me to go through the checklist they gave us.

Sounds like when I was doing tires at NTB. The worst day ever was when 5 people called out and I was the only tire tech on that day.
They piled on slip after slip as though I could do it all alone! It was originally a 6hr shift but they told me I had to do 13hrs.:banghead:
I don't know how I kept from snapping!:stomp:

Ugh! when I was at Honda, I had that happen before but that was like a daily thing having them pile up like that and the crazy thing was I wasn't alone when they piled up like that :banghead::stomp::bruised:

and then of course they get pissed at US for not getting them out fast enough...............

I really pissed them off when I used their own company manual to point out we had up to 45min to do 4 tires and 1hr lunch break
(They tried to say it was only 30min) :laugh: They weren't amused!

lol that probably did piss them off. we didn't have a "manual" saying how long we had. they advertised an oil change was 30 mins or less OR IT WAS FREE which would be docked out of OUR pay.......because "we weren't fast enough." I often wonder if this contributed to them eventually firing me..........for "not being productive enough"..........

Sadly probably yes that is the #1 reason I have lost jobs. Damn NT slave masters! All they care about is speed forget quality.
It seems to be a normal aspie trait so don't feel bad about it. I am sure you did an excellent job!

yea.....damn NT's. It's a shame though, I loved working on Honda's but couldn't stand the boss and a couple of my co-workers but for the most part, It was a very enjoyable job. It has changed so much there now that it's probably worse now then it was before I was let go.

Just be proud of yourself I am. Just have to find a way to pursue the dream a different way hopefully where you are the boss.

I've been in couple of different situations where selling was involved. I liked my retail job selling cameras and providing photo printing services, and I didn't even mind doing the suggestive upselling once I figured out how to do it in a way that didn't make me feel like I was being pushy.

I hate the kind of selling where you have to initiate the whole purchase process. In retail, people who are going to buy come to the store in the mood to spend, or at the very least with a need that you might be able to fill if you ask what it is. For a short while, I had a phone sales job that involved cold-calling, and that was hell on earth. I'm impressed by people who can do that kind of thing, but that's not me at all. It's weird to me that there's this kind of person out there who just sells "stuff", and it doesn't matter what it is--as long as there's a commission!

I recently went to a hobby store that sold plastic models, train sets, and fantasy game stuff. The guy who worked there was a model-building guru, and damned if we didn't buy all the stuff he recommended. Sure, he wasn't rich, but I bet he got more enjoyment out of life than a lot of people who are!

I used to work at an electronics retailer. They were more customer service oriented than others so I was never pressured to lie (not that it didn't happen in the store, but it was never important in my department because in camera sales the target demographic is women and they said high pressure sales tactics with women make them never come back). I went for the job to force myself to get better at dealing with people and I figured a job talking to strangers all day would do the trick. It turned out to be a wonderful experience for me. I sold cameras and it quickly became a special Interest of mine. So for 4 years I got paid to talk to people about one of my special interests all day. I also have some obsessive compulsive tendencies about cleanliness and order so I was constantly cleaning and organizing the department. So I quickly became the store example of product knowledge and departmental maintenance so management loved me.

I was very good at sales, on average about three times higher sales than the target. BUT I struggled badly with my conscience because I knew that the people didnt really want what I was selling, they just didnt say no, so I had them signed up and ready to go before they could vito. Didnt last long in that job.

In the book Asperger's on the Job, the author mentions Temple Grandin talking about selling copies of one of her books to people in a store and arguing that aspies can actually make good salespeople in certain situations (I don't have the book handy right now).

Depends on what is actually mean by "sales". Manipulating people into buying something they may not want or need, no that's not something I'm good at. However give me a product that I have such faith in that I believe it can sell itself, sure.

Depends on what is actually mean by "sales". Manipulating people into buying something they may not want or need, no that's not something I'm good at. However give me a product that I have such faith in that I believe it can sell itself, sure.

Exactly my issue with "selling" something. I worked for a callcenter where I had to phone people and try to sell them "green" energy. If the entire deal was true I wouldn't mind selling (or at least trying to sell) people a more environment friendly alternative to their electricity.

The truth however was; it was not green, it was the same energy as anywhere else, just "sold" as green, since media reports were overflowing with reports acquisition of all kind of sites for coal power by said company. I even had to lie about the location I was calling from. Not to mention that I had to do a background check to see what their average power consumption was (based on a 2 adults, 2 children household). So I couldn't justify all the lies I was telling them at all.

Perhaps the added fact that I'm not good at telling a lie didn't help me either.

And of course, I would really need to support a product am I willing to sell it. But it's probably so far that I'd only be willing to sell something my own company would produce. Supporting something that's not mine... I just can't get behind that for the full 100%

(Poses in front of camera)

If I find a product I love, I would go all the way to make sure the product I want to sell is a success.

I really sucked at sales. Much of it was done face to face and involved showing a customer special treatment or a good time. Hell I didnt even know how to entertain myself, let alone anyone else. So much eye and body contact and personal conversation. It was all before, I knew about my Aspergers. So only recently understood why I was so bad at it. When sales come down to how much a customer likes u, well do I need to explain further

Interesting. I have worked in sales, in music which is an obsession of mine. I was honest, and hated selling stuff that wasn't the right thing but was more expensive etc. Only happened once actually, when my boss told me to sell something I normally wouldn't have (as it wasn't as good and more expensive!). I didn't like doing that at all, and never did it again.

New Threads

Top Bottom