• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dissertation research on autism and H.E. access

As an educator and an autistic,...and having autistic students myself,...this is going to be a nebulous topic. Perception,...I think there is often a critical misunderstanding of autistic individuals, in general,...mainly because of the broad, highly-variable presentation. Most people recognize the "stereotypical" behavior of a severely affected small child,...but not adults who may simply appear to them as "introverted" and/or "socially awkward". Although there are certain traits associated with autism, how strongly they present can very significantly, as well as certain sensory issues. The autistic experience is unique unto oneself, very difficult to describe to someone who is not autistic,...and even difficult sometimes to others who are autistic. Even on this forum, I read posts from people who clearly are living a different experience than myself.

Does society's perception of autism affect higher education access for autistic students? I would likely say it depends upon not society, per se, but rather who is in the position of authority (parents, instructors, counselors, etc.) that are interacting with the autistic individual and guiding the student through their educational pathway. Do these authority figures have some form of bias or critical misunderstanding that may make them recommend an alternate path for the autistic student? Although, certain societies and environments, as a whole, may represent some difficulties for some autistic individuals,...what you are asking is rather specific,...society's perception. From a social perspective, many neurotypicals might not know that they are interacting with an autistic individual, and many autistics would rather not admit their diagnosis to others for fear of some form of biased behavior from the neurotypical.

Furthermore,...sometimes,...it is the underlying depression (autism is one of the low dopamine neurological conditions) and low self esteem that affects the access to higher education. Sometimes,...it is the sensory issues. Sometimes,...it is the social environment. Sometimes,...it is the socio-economic situation of the student,...especially those working,...or not working adults who are on some form of assistance. There are a lot of compounding issues surrounding this topic of educational access for autistic students,...and each person will have their own context and perspective.

Last edited:
Went through to my M.S. Yet at the time I did not know it. Very introverted and convinced that I had to fend for myself, I neither availed myself of social opportunities nor services for counseling. It was touch and go at times as my grades were wildly variable depending on my interest in the subject.

As with a lot of highly necessary research, I just get that impatient feeling where I want to say, Yes! Of course society's perception of autism affects anyone who uses the word autism about themselves, in any context!

But I know your research will likely bring out some interesting data about how it works in your chosen context. The focus groups sound like a good idea, hope it goes well.

As a twice exceptional [2e] person, I was a star student in most of my classes, but too eccentric to employ in a buyer's-market economy.
My employers were pleasantly surprised by my innovation in a seller's market, but not enough to retain me when that ended.

One dairy farm engineer (ex-employer) said that uniform milk production was prized more than having a single cow that was a "super milker."

You are 14?

"dissertation. a long essay on a particular subject, especially one written as a requirement for the Doctor of Philosophy degree."

What happened to book reports?

;)

You are 14?

"dissertation. a long essay on a particular subject, especially one written as a requirement for the Doctor of Philosophy degree."

;)
full
(Maybe, she does not want to wait until the last minute...? ;))

Last edited:
One dairy farm engineer (ex-employer) said that uniform milk production was prized more than having a single cow that was a "super milker."

I am not quite "a super milker" but I have often been admonished to try to slow down because I made the rest of the team look bad. o_O Which is funny because I worked for a dairy at the time! Haha!

Hi @Beth0768

I started filling in the form since you are obviously not 14 but at Uni according to your email address.

It seems that you must be in Uni studying to fill in the form. I am post Uni but the form wont let me not be at uni and studying. Am I missing something ?

As an educator and an autistic,...and having autistic students myself,...this is going to be a nebulous topic. Perception,...I think there is often a critical misunderstanding of autistic individuals, in general,...mainly because of the broad, highly-variable presentation. Most people recognize the "stereotypical" behavior of a severely affected small child,...but not adults who may simply appear to them as "introverted" and/or "socially awkward". Although there are certain traits associated with autism, how strongly they present can very significantly, as well as certain sensory issues. The autistic experience is unique unto oneself, very difficult to describe to someone who is not autistic,...and even difficult sometimes to others who are autistic. Even on this forum, I read posts from people who clearly are living a different experience than myself.

Does society's perception of autism affect higher education access for autistic students? I would likely say it depends upon not society, per se, but rather who is in the position of authority (parents, instructors, counselors, etc.) that are interacting with the autistic individual and guiding the student through their educational pathway. Do these authority figures have some form of bias or critical misunderstanding that may make them recommend an alternate path for the autistic student? Although, certain societies and environments, as a whole, may represent some difficulties for some autistic individuals,...what you are asking is rather specific,...society's perception. From a social perspective, many neurotypicals might not know that they are interacting with an autistic individual, and many autistics would rather not admit their diagnosis to others for fear of some form of biased behavior from the neurotypical.

Furthermore,...sometimes,...it is the underlying depression (autism is one of the low dopamine neurological conditions) and low self esteem that affects the access to higher education. Sometimes,...it is the sensory issues. Sometimes,...it is the social environment. Sometimes,...it is the socio-economic situation of the student,...especially those working,...or not working adults who are on some form of assistance. There are a lot of compounding issues surrounding this topic of educational access for autistic students,...and each person will have their own context and perspective.

im an autistic student myself and I know my research cannot and will not be generalisable to all autistic students and their experiences but I aim to begin the understand the effect that societal perception has on the access to higher education for some autistic uni students.

It impacts adult life the most. Job hunting can be become a desaster, as is working in a team. I never knew what was 'wrong' with me.
Definitely I’m autistic myself and getting my first job was so anxiety provoking I had a panic attack and my parents had to come and pick me up

Went through to my M.S. Yet at the time I did not know it. Very introverted and convinced that I had to fend for myself, I neither availed myself of social opportunities nor services for counseling. It was touch and go at times as my grades were wildly variable depending on my interest in the subject.
Yep I was exactly the same at school got high grades in subjects I enjoyed and average at those I wasn’t keen on so many signs of autism yet I didn’t get diagnosed till I was 17 nearly 18

As with a lot of highly necessary research, I just get that impatient feeling where I want to say, Yes! Of course society's perception of autism affects anyone who uses the word autism about themselves, in any context!

But I know your research will likely bring out some interesting data about how it works in your chosen context. The focus groups sound like a good idea, hope it goes well.
I definitely agree esoecialiy as I have experience myself - I changed it from focus groups to online survey as I knew it would be difficult to recruit such a specific target population and I am very busy - I work part time as a carer and also work as a student ambassador so needed to change my data collection method to a way I could collect data in the given timeframe

You are 14?

;)
This one made me lol not sure where you got the idea of 14 from, I’m a university student in their final year… I’d be pretty impressed if a 14 year old was writing a dissertation aha. I’ve found that there is a lack of current research in autism particularly in girls hence why I am doing a primary research study and not a secondary study such as a literature review

Hi @Beth0768

I started filling in the form since you are obviously not 14 but at Uni according to your email address.

It seems that you must be in Uni studying to fill in the form. I am post Uni but the form wont let me not be at uni and studying. Am I missing something ?
Yes I’m definitely not 14, I’m 21 in my final year of my under grad hence the dissertation. Mind you I wish I could say I was a 14 year ok£ writing their dissertation. Yes you do need to be a current uni student sorry I should’ve made that clearer I appreciate tg3 feedback though

Knowing whether one is autistic and disclosing the diagnosis to educators is likely relevant to educator attitudes. Like @Gerald Wilgus, I was not diagnosed until I was in my 60s. Like @Crossbreed I was always a model student, and had earned two Masters degrees and a PhD before I knew that I was autistic. I did not experience any educational barriers, but perhaps it would have been different had I known and had disclosed that I was autistic to educators.

Knowing whether one is autistic and disclosing the diagnosis to educators is likely relevant to educator attitudes.
I was identified as gifted, but not autistic (dx @45).
I was focused in class, but not for homework (in high school), but that worked in classes that put more weight on tests. My 2e son's homework load was adjusted in high school.
I was more attentive to homework after high school.

I was not good at timed tests, but I got a little better in time for the PSAT & the SAT.
(I still didn't complete the science section, but got a good score anyway.)
My 2e son also struggled with that even after they gave him more time for his ACT.

I was identified as gifted, but not autistic (dx @45).
I was focused in class, but not for homework (in high school), but that worked in classes that put more weight on tests. My 2e son's homework load was adjusted in high school.
I was more attentive to homework after high school.

I was not good at timed tests, but I got a little better in time for the PSAT & the SAT.
(I still didn't complete the science section, but got a good score anyway.)
My 2e son also struggled with that even after they gave him more time for his ACT.

We are similar. My IQ was tested after I was in college, and I was in the highly gifted range. I just did not know I was autistic. I had difficulty taking notes and never did learn to type. I enrolled in typing in college, and ended up dropping the class to avoid failing. Meanwhile I zoomed through the math and chemistry curricula. I had difficulty in subjects that did not interest me though.

I have a very good memory, and could recall everything I heard during lectures, so I never took notes - even in doctoral level classes. I had one professor who became angered once because I was not taking notes. She told everyone to take out paper and wrote a couple essay questions regarding reading assignments. I had to borrow some paper, and I proceeded to give a brain dump. I think I was the only student who got 100% on this pop quiz.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom