• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discrimination at School of Social Work UIUC

*scratch head* .................... I'm still missing the point of a female black professor calling you a 'N' :confused:

“ ...a N bc she thought I was a racist”

I think... N = and

BC = Because

Probably just spell check being screwy.

But that would make sense based on the OPs next post about being called an “N” >_<

Get your majors out of the way early, faculties can and will turn on you. Minors can always be taken in other faculties.

Why are academic politics so vicious?
... because the stakes are so small.

And the power of tenure is so final. :(

I'd rather argue and disagree with armed and angry cops than tenured professors. :eek:

Last edited:
“ ...a N bc she thought I was a racist”

I think... N = and

BC = Because

Probably just spell check being screwy.

But that would make sense based on the OPs next post about being called an “N” >_<
I want what you wrote there to be the answer but it doesn't make sense. If it just meant 'and' then why is he writing it like this: “N”?

Also putting 'and' in there wouldn't make the sentences any more readable.

I interpret that the female black professor called me a “N” because she either thought me or my father was an racist.
That still doesn't make sense. Did you mean the N-word? If so then why on earth would she be calling you that? And what do you mean that you 'interpret'? Did it actually happen?

Keep in mind, this is an Social Work Department so they hate (judges).
No. I bet they don't 'hate' judges. This sounds to me like you have some sort of issue with social work or the kind of people who do social work.

Obviously the best response would've been to call the female black teacher a cracker.

Get them fired and then go work. Who the heck needs a degree in social work anyway? You should thank them (after you get them fired) for stopping you from wasting anymore time.

Obviously the best response would've been to call the female black teacher a cracker.

Get them fired and then go work. Who the heck needs a degree in social work anyway? You should thank them (after you get them fired) for stopping you from wasting anymore time.

I don't think you can get them fired. This is a "he said she said" sorta thing. This is dangerous advice you're giving, AloneNotLonely, no offense. And if you're joking, then I think this thread borders on some sensitive material where that kind of joke just doesn't bode well. We know you mean well as a poster regardless, though.

Maybe they could get reprimanded. Is it worth the backlash that could occur? Maybe since you started this, it doesn't stop until you get what you want? If you're rich and you can afford a good lawyer, then I guess you could consider this route. You're probably wasting your time and money doing this though.

Social work is definitely undervalued as a profession. Getting a degree sometimes shows discipline and seriousness about entering the work field rather than the subject matter of the degree itself. Who knows, maybe there are people one could network with in this context toward getting a cool job within social work. In this case, not so much.

There are people who need guidance of where and how they can use simple resources and how to find places for food and such if they don't know where to go. A social worker would probably be able to help with things like that.

Many other schools will definitely offer social work as a major. I'd start looking to transfer ASAP unless you can take classes without those two professors. Any more name calling or such, just take it in and apologize for not understanding the context of the situation. There are only so many fights one should consider, and I don't think this is one of them.

Awwwww :)

Honestly... I realize the cracker joke was probably right on the edge and would probably land you in jail these days if you were to actually do it... technically it would be the correct response and the fact that it would land you in jail shows you exactly why a major in Social Work is to be avoided at all costs.

He already has problems with the type of people involved in this, what does he think will happen at work later on? The people he has problems with now will become his bosses and co-workers in the future. Degrees are dead, all the fluffy studies have been braindead for a long time and now they are also coming for the studies such as math and programming. It would be best to get involved in a trade or an administrative position if you cannot stand these people. Else you'll be stuck with them for the rest of your life.

I realize the cracker joke was probably right on the edge and would probably land you in jail these days if you were to actually do it
Yet you still wrote it. Interesting.

shows you exactly why a major in Social Work is to be avoided at all costs.
Does it? Please explain that....?

He already has problems with the type of people involved in this, what does he think will happen at work later on? The people he has problems with now will become his bosses and co-workers in the future.
On that I can agree even if I'm wary of your overall message.

I'll be honest: You sound like a moron. You knew your joke was stupid and easily (mis)interpreted. Yet you still think it's okay because you, yourself, believe social work to be, well...in your own words 'avoided at all cost'. You and other people who think about 'people' in the same way sicken me. My guess is truth and dignity are not things that mean anything to you (unless you think they just apply to you or your family in which case my guess is suddenly you have a different view).

technically it would be the correct response
No @AloneNotLonely - technically it would NOT be the correct response.

I'm majoring in Social Work! It's nice to know that I've now heard at least one person say that's a terrible idea.

Yet you still wrote it. Interesting.
On that I can agree even if I'm wary of your overall message.

I'll be honest: You sound like a moron. You knew your joke was stupid and easily (mis)interpreted. Yet you still think it's okay because you, yourself, believe social work to be, well...in your own words 'avoided at all cost'. You and other people who think about 'people' in the same way sicken me. My guess is truth and dignity are not things that mean anything to you (unless you think they just apply to you or your family in which case my guess is suddenly you have a different view).

It's quite obvious. The teacher used a highly inappropriate racial slur usually meant for her people on OP. So why is that not an issue... but all of a sudden it is an issue when said OP uses a highly inappropriate racial slur usually reserved for his people on the teacher. It's the exact same situation, the fact that it's ok in one situation but not in the other shows you why you do not want to be involved in brain dead Universities where these types proliferate, unless you are smart enough to become a RN or something and want to rake in the big bucks. Crappy studies where there's not even a big pay check in the end is a waste of time, money, sanity and your safety. You can end up killed, maimed or jailed when you hang around people that are this deranged.

Crappy studies where there's not even a big pay check in the end is a waste of time, money, sanity and your safety. You can end up killed, maimed or jailed when you hang around people that are this deranged.

For you maybe, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

People are different and not all are driven by money and status. Some people have a 'social conscience' and are driven by a need other than money e.g. injustice, social problems, desire for change in society.

Social Workers and equivalent type jobs do not entail 'hanging around people who are deranged'.

It's a good job that we don't all think like you.

For you maybe, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

People are different and not all are driven by money and status. Some people have a 'social conscience' and are driven by a need other than money e.g. injustice, social problems, desire for change in society.

Social Workers and equivalent type jobs do not entail 'hanging around people who are deranged'.

It's a good job that we don't all think like you.

Yes, they are clearly driven by a need to make OP's life miserable. Hence why he should avoid such places and hang around people that are motivated by money instead.

If you have a diagnosis you can approach the disability center on campus. I highly recommend a therapist for navigating these experiences. I sometimes have feelings of persecution and have confusion about that being reality or paranoia, it's awful. A good friend/ex had a more intense response to feeling mistreated, result from both Asperger's misperception and abuse history. Also once we begin to act a little intense from these feelings it DOES create lash back as neurotypical people don't understand and do often start feeling we're just problematic and wasting their time. From their perspective it is not entirely an inaccurate assessment.

Point is, find appropriate supports - once we get into this headspace (speaking for myself and witnessing multiple occurrences with that friend) it's nearly impossible to turn things around and be able to see ourselves and our contribution to the issue with any objectivity. It is not going to work by being defiant and cavalier about being mistreated. I have ZERO DOUBT my friend has burned professional bridges in a very very small field, don't let this happen to you. To an extent we do need to play the game for survival. Unfortunately. It is extremely difficult and exhausting and feels we are being hurt unfairly.

Find resources who have power to help you.

New Threads

Top Bottom