• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discrimination at School of Social Work UIUC

JoGo

Has anyone been discriminated by their own university? I’m so frustrated in how theses so called “Progressive Professors” treat me like I’m the next school shooter!

The School of Social Work at UIUC tried framing me like I’m a bad guy because of my disability.

Can you go into a little more detail. I understand you are running red in your emotional tank, if you release it, you can be more objective and figure out the next step.

An autistic student of mine lost one of the caps on the valves of a trumpet he rented from his school. He explained to me that he was set-up by the school to lose it (by giving him a loose valve) so that he would have to pay to replace it.

I tried explaining to him that the school doesn't profit from the money, it's for the replacement, but that didn't seem to matter.

@Fino

Your student knows how to accentuate the negative.
What a sad expectation, to think that the school is tricking him
by issuing defective instruments.

An autistic student of mine lost one of the caps on the valves of a trumpet he rented from his school. He explained to me that he was set-up by the school to lose it (by giving him a loose valve) so that he would have to pay to replace it.

I tried explaining to him that the school doesn't profit from the money, it's for the replacement, but that didn't seem to matter.
I wanted to click 'funny' but then felt bad about it. Yes, on some level this is funny to me. It must be difficult for your student though, navigating life without being able to see this from the other, more logical, side.

Truthfully, we get trapped in our brain. He might have thought about replacing trumpet or defective valve but we can't seem to get out of that negative think. I try to step outside, and ask for a different nondefective item or bring it to the school's attention, it's loose and therefore it may get lost( don't charge me in otherwords). Maybe suggesting to him to get it replaced might help him release some of that mindset, who knows?

No, I have not been discriminated against. Then again, I didn’t disclose my diagnosis, so there’s that.

I bet that isn't the whole story.
The hole story is they thought I was faking my autism spectrum disorder bc I didn’t disclosed it to the university.

it all started when a female black professor called a N bc she thought I was a racist. Then a Hispanic instructor called me brain dead. I was upset so I wrote a complaint to a agency that investigates code of ethics. I even wrote a complaint to OCR. The instructors found out and retaliated (that’s a big no no) The instructors can be terminated from their careers for retaliation. So, the motive for the instructors were “they thought I was faking my disability.”

The whole story is they thought I was faking my autism spectrum disorder bc I didn’t disclosed it to the university.

it all started when a female black professor called a N bc she thought I was a racist. Then a Hispanic instructor called me brain dead. I was upset so I wrote a complaint to a agency that investigates code of ethics. I even wrote a complaint to OCR. The instructors found out and retaliated (that’s a big no no) The instructors can be terminated from their careers for retaliation. So, the motive for the instructors were “they thought I was faking my disability.”
The hole story is they thought I was faking my autism spectrum disorder bc I didn’t disclosed it to the university.

What does this sentence mean?

"it all started when a female black professor called a N bc she thought I was a racist."

No, I have not been discriminated against. Then again, I didn’t disclose my diagnosis, so there’s that.

Indeed. This is why I have spent years in this forum advocating a "need-to-know" basis only.

That it's highly unlikely to predict how those within your social orbit may or may not relate or understand one who is on the spectrum of autism. Disclosing your condition to much of anyone no matter what their stature may be can be inherently precarious.

What does this sentence mean?

"it all started when a female black professor called a N bc she thought I was a racist."

I was in class and I was raised into a conservative family. In that class, I would write how proud I was of my father; who is an Republican Judge.

Therefore, I interpret that the female black professor called me a “N” because she either thought me or my father was an racist. None of us are......

Keep in mind, this is an Social Work Department so they hate (judges).

"I interpret that the female black professor called me a “N” because she either thought me or my father was an racist. None of us are......"

That really doesn't make any sense to me.

What factual examples do you have to illustrate that the Social Work Department hates judges?

Has anyone been discriminated by their own university? I’m so frustrated in how theses so called “Progressive Professors” treat me like I’m the next school shooter!

I still recall going into a university class on the first day where my tenured professor proudly announced her most intense bias by polling the class to see if someone could figure out the answer. Lots of people shouted out their incorrect guesses. Until a woman from the back of the classroom calmly said in a distinct accent, "Germans".

Whereupon the professor beamed, Yes!. And of course, the woman left the classroom, never to return.

I was in another class with a tenured professor who was a prominent feminist. I knew I could never achieve a top grade in that class based only on my gender. But it was nevertheless an enlightening experience. I learned very quickly to remain somewhat nebulous about much of anything that my instructors didn't overtly support.

Hint: Your situation seems more about ideological beliefs and less about your neurology. Expect serious difficulty in this contentious and polarized environment if you ideologically oppose your instructors for whatever reasons.

Fair? There is no "fair" in this particular scenario. The same institutional scenario I dealt with some 43 years ago. But it did teach me that saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

This is why I have spent years in this forum advocating a "need-to-know" basis only.
I do this too. I’m now interviewing for a job that requires me to disclose my diagnosis (bipolar disorder in this case) because they want a medical explanation for why I can’t do night shifts and don’t drive a car. This makes me feel incredibly vulnerable. I never mention my Aspergers for job interviews because it’s not an issue in my line of work.

I do this too. I’m now interviewing for a job that requires me to disclose my diagnosis (bipolar disorder in this case) because they want a medical explanation for why I can’t do night shifts and don’t drive a car. This makes me feel incredibly vulnerable. I never mention my Aspergers for job interviews because it’s not an issue in my line of work.

Precisely. And yet this is the sort of dynamic so many people just don't understand.

Where the more information that is provided, it's likely to work against you than for you. Where one cannot objectively rely upon various civil legal protections that may or may not exist.

I was in class and I was raised into a conservative family. In that class, I would write how proud I was of my father; who is an Republican Judge.

Therefore, I interpret that the female black professor called me a “N” because she either thought me or my father was an racist. None of us are......

*scratch head* .................... I'm still missing the point of a female black professor calling you a 'N' :confused:

They are saying that because it's an excuse for them to defend themselves because you attacked their livelihood. They don't want to deal with you- so, they came up with that. I think taking a complaint to an agency was taking it too far. The instructors may have friends in OCR and/or the agency you reached out to. I'm not sure who the best person/place was for you to reach out too. It is quite possible that in your context of the situation, just trying to switch professors or deal with the situation by only focusing on being graded fairly and not intending to hang out or attack the professors may've been your best course of action.

Now, you may be better off changing universities completely. You can usually have concerns about one professor. But, if you have concerns about a whole slew of professors, especially at a small university, whether you are right or not or partially, there will be backlash on you to deal with. I hope you figure out the best way to handle this. I'd ask people who are not related to the university or who would definitely not side with the professors only on what actions you should take/consider at this point.

New Threads

Top Bottom