• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Diagnosis?

yakana

I've suspected for a while now that I am somewhere on the autism spectrum, and my friends, family, etc. all swear that I am. Unfortunately, I am uninsured and have no access to the psychiatric care required for a diagnosis. I would, however, like to have some sort of validation (I guess that's the right word). Something to make me feel like I'm not just broken and crazy. What would you guys recommend I do? I live in a fairly small town, and there is literally NO free mental health clinic, and the sliding scale ones don't do me much good, as I am unemployed.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hi,

When asking for such advice, it might be an idea to be more clear about your location. Not neccesarily your exact city... but country (and state if your country works that way). might be some help. We have a fair share of international members, as well as a variety of members from the US and Canada, which might point you towards support in somewhere nearby.

I for one always find it hard to understand that people are uninsured, but I'm from The Netherlands, where being insured is mandatory as such (still some people manage to not be insured), so I couldn't give much advice except for "get insurance" and seek help. Employment is another deal, seeing that every country handles that in a different way.

So like I said, you might want to zoom in a bit on your location so eventually members who live roughly in the same area might help you out with more suitable advice.

Testing from a neurologist costs a lot of money - I spent close to 2,000$ getting my diagnosis. Turns out the diagnosis did nothing to help me.
Now I'm even even more expensive testing.
A lot insurance doesn't cover this kind of thing - mine doesn't anyhow.

Testing from a neurologist costs a lot of money - I spent close to 2,000$ getting my diagnosis. Turns out the diagnosis did nothing to help me.
Now I'm even even more expensive testing.
A lot insurance doesn't cover this kind of thing - mine doesn't anyhow.

Just wondering how come a fairly big amount of people actually do get a diagnosis though if it's that expensive.

Guess some insurance does cover it.

CAn see how it's a deterrent for people to not get diagnosed though and just keep on going.

yakana, Welcome to Aspies Central :)

Best of luck. It's hard to get medical insurance as an Aspie (I don't recall insurance agents selling life insurance to Aspies in my country), but well, hopefully, things will change. :D

Yakana, it may help your peace of mind to read up as much as you can, even though you can't afford testing at the moment. Although insurance covered my testing, it was months before I could even get an appointment. During that time I read about Asperger Syndrome voraciously, and was able to determine for myself that I am on the spectrum. I learned a great deal about myself, and about my relationship to the rest of the world. Since it is likely that you would be reading up on it if you had a diagnosis, why not take the time to do so now?

I'm in a similar boat here - also in the USA, no insurance, can't afford it (perhaps the new healthcare reform will change that?). i am self-employed however, but can't afford to get officially tested. I have spent the past few months reading a TON about Asperger's though and I'm quite sure I have it. I am pretty high-functioning and most people I meet can't tell I have it. I'm a great "faker".

I am definitely not dyslexic though, which helps a lot, and while I sometimes feel like I might have some ADD, generally aside from some mild social anxiety i get along fairly well. So I'm not going to rush into an official diagnosis - if I get to a point where i can afford to do so, i will.

Just wondering how come a fairly big amount of people actually do get a diagnosis though if it's that expensive.

Guess some insurance does cover it.

CAn see how it's a deterrent for people to not get diagnosed though and just keep on going.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers by my private Psychiatrist - This is when I had insurance - This was when I had a career. :/

Right now I go to a Mental Health clinic and, let's just say, it provides little support beyond prescribing me meds.

Getting someone else's official rubber stamp isn't really necessary in the situation you describe. Since you haven't any insurance, there are no free clinics & it won't get you anything except a huge medical bill to pay.

Hang out HERE with US. If you recognize yourself in the stories, communication styles, challenges & logic of the people here, you're an Aspie. There are also some very good legitimate online tests you can take. I've taken these years apart & I've always scored waaay out there on the scale. There's no way I'm not an Aspie.

Please don't worry too much about paperwork: you can always get officially diagnosed at some point in the future when your economic situation improves. Meanwhile, please read up about Asperger's to learn as much as you can.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers by my private Psychiatrist - This is when I had insurance - This was when I had a career. :/

Right now I go to a Mental Health clinic and, let's just say, it provides little support beyond prescribing me meds.

Sounds like the way dutch healthcare is going :\ while healthcare is mandatory some people haven't payed their bills in 6 months and as such have reposession after them. It has to do with "poverty" as well as people that cannot make proper choices on priorities. The government gives you about half, monthly to cover it, but some people actually need to spend that on food, rather than healthcare.

Here, there is no such thing as "free"... if you're insured you might get free support in a clinic though, but being insured is the first step to even get in.

But back on-topic;

I can see that no money will make it hard for you to go elsewhere, to look for a free clinic... but seeing as you're unemployed, I don't know if seeking help at social services is a first step. Explain them your situation... surely they'll be like "do you have this documented by a medical expert" but to me it's silly that you need papers to get help, to get money, to get those papers... it's a circle. I'm quite sure there's some point of entry in that circuit

Here in QC, the process is different & you can get screened in 2 ways

Public System (Free)

1. Go see a Dr. & request a recommendation for screening.
2. Go to a C.L.S.C. (local community health centre) & have a social worker there write a letter saying that they want to send you to __________ for screening if it isn't available in your city.
3. Call ______ to make an appointment & bring your paperwork with you.
4. Get screened.

In the down town core, however, there's such a severe backlog that you may have to wait up to 2 yrs (!) for your appointment.

Privately:

1. Book an appointment with a shrink
2. Pay shrink $600-$1200 for screening tests (if you have private supplemental coverage, it might also be free)
3. Get screened.

This process can take all of 3 weeks or so.

New Threads

Top Bottom