• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with sensory smell issues

shysnail

Bit of a weird one today. I live next door to people who smoke both cigarettes and weed for most of the day. I was woken up at 4:00am this morning by the overwhelming smell of weed. It was gross and kept me awake for ages.

Has anyone found anything to deal with issues relating to smell? I know closing the windows would be an obvious solution, but 1) the windows don't do a lot to keep out the smell, even when closed, and 2) my girlfriend has breathing troubles that means she likes to have windows open.

I was thinking a face mask like some people use for allergies and air pollution, but I have no idea if these would reduce gross smells. Any input for what anyone else has done about similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

on a quick search i would vote for purifier

Screenshot_20190620-153523.png

Screenshot_20190620-153512.png

Very sensitive to smells and cannot cope with perfums.

As for smoking smells. My brother is staying with us at the moment and he smokes and the smell makes me gag.

As for weed. I am rather afraid, I like that smell lol ( don't smoke and don't take drugs).

I have used air purifiers for it before. It seems to work sometimes. Possibly installing a window fan that will draw fresh air in (if you have a window facing the right direction) and keeping another window open at the opposite end to vent air. I used a window fan that you could remove so you could lock the windows at night. Experiment with different things/configurations.

Closing the windows permanently is the only option I ever actually had concerning cigarette smoke. But then with my allergies in the desert with all these windy days, it's an easy proposition for me. Though it's frustrating in the summer given the heat and having to run the a/c more often than I should. While the temperatures usually come down after sunset, smokers usually keep me from being able to open up a window. In the meantime I keep my ceiling fan running as long as I'm awake, and run a small fan in my bedroom when I go to sleep.

I've tried air purifiers/filters, whatever you call them. Everything but the more expensive ionizer devices. Never thought they really worked. At least not to rid the air of cigarette smoke, which to me is incredibly invasive.

Last edited:
You can get a P95 or P100 filter mask, the disposable kind or the kind where the mask is permanent and you buy replacement filter cartridges for it. P100 (especially with a chemical filter for gases produced by combustion of tobacco) filters will work really well to keep smoke smells like that out, but the mask has to be fitted properly or some will leak in through the places where it doesn't seal to your face (it is still a significant improvement, though).

You can't wear such masks 24/7 (well, you could but it's not advisable unless you're in a forest fire or something because they hamper breathing) but for times when you just need some respite or to prevent a meltdown they are amazing.

Also HEPA air cleaners do help, I've found (the real ones that filter down to .3 microns; the "hepa type" ones with no specified filtration specification I wouldn't risk money on), and at times when I was in similar situations I thought about designing a window-box fan system to pass air through a HEPA furnace filter fitted over the open window.

the face masks only work with smells if you sprayed something on it that smells good. (Learned this as a nurse) Also sometimes a dab of something that smells good just under your nose helps, too.
For my home, I have the scented was melts that smell real good - some stronger than others or the diffusers or plug ins.

Thankfully I don't have smelly neighbours. I'm really sensitive to smells though so I feel your pain! I understand why you don't want to talk to them about their lifestyle choices. I wouldn't do that either.

I use a scent diffuser with lavender essential oil in my bedroom. I also use a mixture of essential oils on my temples before bed. I love fragrance, it makes me feel calm.

As your girlfriend has breathing problems, you could try eucalyptus oil in a diffuser; kill two birds with one stone.

the face masks only work with smells if you sprayed something on it that smells good. (Learned this as a nurse) Also sometimes a dab of something that smells good just under your nose helps, too.
For my home, I have the scented was melts that smell real good - some stronger than others or the diffusers or plug ins.

Not true as a general statement about all respirator masks in all situations.

The masks I was talking about do work, if you get proper NIOSH certified ones that fit your face and are designed to filter whatever it is you are smelling - you just have to do your research. There are all different types of respirator masks to filter different sizes of particulate and different gaseous substances.

Especially the ones used in construction where the mask is basically permanent and the filters get changed out - during a fitting they test the seal for them using a horrific smelling smoke, actually.

Last edited:
My bad. When OP said face mask like people use for allergies my first thought went to the cheap ones that people often have on hand. I know the respirator masks and I can't tolerate them, but going into rooms with TB we didn't have a choice and I always felt like I couldn't breathe. The cheap yellow ones I prefer so that's where my mind went.

Get a HEPA air filter. They can be remarkably effective. You can get one for each room, or one rated for a larger area.

One nice side effect is they also act as white noise generators.

If you still have a problem after trying a HEPA filter, you may have to either move or involve your landlord or local police in going after the offenders. Sometimes, moving to a different unit in the same building is all that is needed, and is usually cheaper than a complete move-out.

Possibly installing a window fan that will draw fresh air in (if you have a window facing the right direction) and keeping another window open at the opposite end to vent air. I used a window fan that you could remove so you could lock the windows at night. Experiment with different things/configurations.

This is what I did at the old house. For temperature control, but it might work for smell control too. Use a window fan to force air out of the house at the smelly end, and open a window where it can draw air from the non smelly side of the house (if that happens to exist for you). And yes, at the air intake side. I have no experience with hepa filters except in vacuums.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm always taken aback by how helpful and knowledgeable the people on this forum are. I've gone from feeling powerless about the situation to spoilt choice about potential things I can do to make it better. It's really helped a lot :D

Last night I slept with a soft toy dabbed with lavender essential oils beside me, which was calming just to know it was there if I needed it. Now to get on to researching some of the things people have suggested here for a more long-term solution...

I don't think they don't allow smoking in the apartment building that I live in. Sometimes when I'm in the bathroom I can smell my neighbors' cooking. It smells delicious!:yum: It can be a problem, though, when it smells much better than whatever it is I'm having.

Where does the OP live? Is what these rowdy young chain-smoking potheads doing even legal?

I live in the UK. What they're doing isn't legal, but I'd be too scared of rocking the boat to report them to the police or anything. Not that the police would do anything. I doubt they'd even come out. But because where I live is directly adjoined to them, when no one else is, they would know who called the police. I've wanted to report them before for noise that they're making during the night, but again, it wouldn't change anything and might just make things worse.

I have a neighbour who has birds in the appt, the smell if their poo is the worst smell ever and its bad especially in the summer. They leave the door open on the hallway and all the way up to 4th floor i must endure climbing stairs and panting into it.

New Threads

Top Bottom